Up-Town Lo-Cal Egg Breakfast

finallychelle
finallychelle Posts: 350 Member
tumblr_lmfc8sqyQb1qf7n0mo1_500.jpg

Up-Town Lo-Cal Egg Breakfast

In a covered pan of shallow water I simmered one egg inside yellow and red bell peppers-- then topped with black pepper and salsa and garnished with pickled asparagus spears.

It was yummy and the presentation is nice enough for company!

-Chelle

Replies

• Yummy!!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,035 Member
    mmm, looks good.... I have a question though.. when you say you simmered the egg, does that pretty much mean you had the water and then the red pepper with the egg in it? So basically boiling?

Sorry if that sounds dense, this whole cooking eggs with water thing is new to me... I'm still trying to figure out how to poach an egg :$
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    From teh picture, 'd guess:

Slice teh bottom off a red pepper.

Slice a smaller slice off a yello pepper and place it inside the red one.

Breka an egg into those.

Place all that into a saucepan of boiling water and poach. Timings? If i was just poaching an egg on its own I'd give it 3 minutes for soft, but I guess a bit longer inside peppers - 5-6 mins? Are the pepper still crunchy after that short time?
  • nattypatty26
    nattypatty26 Posts: 10 Member
    That looks awesome and so good
  • finallychelle
    From teh picture, 'd guess:

Slice teh bottom off a red pepper.

Slice a smaller slice off a yello pepper and place it inside the red one.

Breka an egg into those.

Place all that into a saucepan of boiling water and poach. Timings? If i was just poaching an egg on its own I'd give it 3 minutes for soft, but I guess a bit longer inside peppers - 5-6 mins? Are the pepper still crunchy after that short time?

Yes, you've got it!

I cut two bell peppers in half (top half/bottom half) and interchanged the halves putting the smaller bottom inside the larger top. I left the bottom of the bottom half intact to that it would contain the egg.

I poached/simmered/boiled/cooked until the pepper was soft and the egg was cooked to my liking. I think it took about 10 minutes or so.

Sorry I didn't include more detail!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    I've also used the same idea as a way to serve chicken salad at a baby shower. Although, in that case, I left the peppers raw.

Everyone loved it!

As for the egg idea: you could also bake it if you wished-- or cook in a toaster oven.

-Chelle
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Beautiful!
  • JNALTBK
    JNALTBK Posts: 136 Member
    Great idea and lovely presentation. Thanks.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    nice chelle thanx!
  • mrsfeuer
    mrsfeuer Posts: 69 Member
    Genius, now I wish peppers were in season!!