Intuitive Eating

Hi All, Are any of you interested in learning how to eat mindfully? I tend to get obsessive about food and body image if I give myself strict dieting rules. I'm working on cultivating healthier coping mechanisms. I turn to food when I experience anxiety, or even joy (not so much if my anxiety is extreme.) I tend to have problems with chocolate and wine. Thanks- Cate

Replies

• i love wine too, but I have substituted it with Sobe 0 calorie flavored water. As for chocolate, have 1 piece of really good chocolate every now and again so you don't deprive yourself.
  • Thanks for your response Chris. I generally only eat high quality dark chocolate lately. The dark satisfies and keeps me from going overboard... usually! Good luck with your weight loss.:happy:
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Going for things like wine or a beer and chocolate (oh i love you chocolate!) is tough for me too because i also have anxiety issues also (PTSD) . I basically give in to those chocolate needs with chocolate bars that can be broken in pieces, and have one or 2 of those pieces, and a glass of wine is actually low in calories.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    I think a lot of people on here struggle with this. I find that I mindlessly eat when I'm bored, when I'm sitting in front of the computer or studying, and when I'm watching a movie. Logging has really helped with that aspect of my life- but it did take practice. I used to forget that I'd eaten something and I had to get in the habit of logging often throughout the day as opposed to just at the end of the day.

I also emotionally eat- when I'm sad, when I'm happy, when I'm stressed, etc...

I don't have a lot of suggestions on how to fix that :( For me, it's just been a matter of practice, and far too often I say 'too hell with it' and I eat what I want, which is probably why the scale isn't moving in the direction I want it to move right now.

I think its worthwhile to train yourself to eat for the right reasons, but alas, 'practice' is the only tip I have.

Good luck with your journey.
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    I don't seem to cut off anything that I like to eat.

I eat chocolate, drink beer, drink alcohol, eat carbs... just in moderation.

Instead of the 2 lb bag of m&m's I get 2 or 3 pieces. It works for me.

AND when I want a HO HO... I eat them. If I don't I tend to fall off the wagon big time.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I try to be more mindful of my eating when I am sick of counting calories. I trade off between the two concepts.