Should I eat back my exercise calories?

Options
I'm new to MFP and I've noticed that exercising subtracts calories from my daily total. Should I eat back these lost calories or stick to just eating 1200 calories per day? I'm 4' 11" and only trying to lose 15 pounds and tone up.

Replies

• rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think that by the way MFP calculates your calories, yes you can.

If you are calculating your deficit based on your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) you cannot. This is because it factors in exercise to work out your maintenance calories.

I personally do not eat back the calories I have burnt from cardio even if I am hungry and would like to. The reason for this is that the calorie burn on the cardio machine or on the app may not be accurate. Whereas, the food intake in calories is fairly accurate.

What I mean is, you might be burning less than the machines estimate and if you compensate by eating, you may be eating too many calories.

This is just an extra precaution that I take.
  • BeatlesGirl20
    BeatlesGirl20 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I dont eat back the cals b/c i think it is better to be safe and be under than to be over and have eaten too much.
  • Cubby_Bear
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • gettinerdone_
    gettinerdone_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I personally disagree with eating back the calories, so I only record my exercise at the end of the day when I'm done eating
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    See how you go not eating them back.

More weight loss is always good :)
  • kwehkweh
    kwehkweh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Eating them back wasn't working for me. But not eating them back wasn't working for me either. Going to try eating half of what I work off.