NuvaRing/Mirena and weight (ladies?)

Options

Replies

• eradki01
    eradki01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had have used both forms and I can't say that I have any extreme complaints with either. I was on Nuva Ring for 4 years and absolutely loved it! I was in college at the time so my weight fluctuated but at one point I lost 15lbs and had no problem keeping it off (until I moved back in with my mom who cooks everything in butter)!
    I switched to Mirena in July only because I was losing my parent's insurance in August and I knew I couldn't afford to keep paying for NuvaRing without coverage and I am terrible about taking pills. I had a very light period in August and haven't seen any spotting since then. I do find that I am having a harder time losing weight than I did before but I am also a little older now and not always as strict with my diet as I should be. I do sometimes miss the reassurance every month that I'm not pregnant but I am learning to get used to it. All in all I guess I've been pretty fortunate to not really have any problems with either.
    In summary
    NuvaRing:
    Pros: easy, had no problem losing weight, had control over when I had my periods
    Cons: expensive
    Mirena:
    Pros: completely forgettable, no period, one time fee,
    Cons: harder to lose weight (for me), no period, hurts like heck when you get it put in
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I lost 40+ lb.s while on Nuva Ring, but I also worked out 2hrs a day, 5 days a week. I still use it, and love it compared to how pills made me feel.
  • candj2009
    candj2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just got Mirena removed and went back to Nuvaring. I had used Nuvaring for 4 years before gettting the Mirena and I lost 20 lbs really easily; without trying. I hated Mirena. I constantly looked bloated, around 3 to 4 months pregnant, hair started falling out. Didn't gain weight, but couldn't lose even though I was working out 6 days a week and staying within my calories. Since getting it removed, the bloating has gone down and I'm losing again. I think everyone is different and their body responds differently. Just my experience though.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I have a copper marina. i carnt have hormones as they give me blood clots, sickness oh yea nt to mention the 5yr i now have lol. this doesnt affect weight as such but i do get reli bad periods swelling and back pain,

The copper IUD is called Paragard. There is no copper-based IUD by Mirena. :)
  • Savagegirlt
    Options
    I have had Mirena for 5 yrs now and yes, I had some initial weight gain in the beginning and have not been able to get it off. I'm about to have it removed (and try non hormone BC) and we shall see what happens.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Now, I know some of the reasons for going up from about 135 to 162 in the last year (new relationship= a lot of nice dinners and lazy snuggling), but it's still a dramatic and rapid weight gain... I spent this year trying out new birth control methods because I've categorically avoided hormones for years. I tried the NuvaRing and whoa! I was a raging nutcase for THOSE three months (sorry, new boyfriend!) I started gaining then, but I thought it was because I was constantly grouchy and just hanging out a lot. Now, after some other searching, I had a Mirena IUD put in (about 6 mos ago). A lot of the weight has come since then. Has anyone else experienced a lot of gain with either of these products?

I haven't had any issues, I believe. I have noticed an increase POSSIBLY in my rosacea and the appearance of some strange spotting that I'm going to go see a derm for, but I've had no weight gain that I can attribute to it since I got it last September, or any other major issues.

In fact I freaking love it! No more having to worry about condoms or to take the pill or nasty hormonal side effects or monthly payments for another pack. :)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Mirena is local, rather than systemic hormones that enter the bloodstream. For this reason, you should (in theory) not gain any weight because of it.

I have had Mirena since 2009 and experienced no weight gain.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I feel like women often blame weight gain on BC, but the culprit is usually age or pregnancy. Your body just changes. A good indicator is to look at your older siblings, mother, etc and see how they carried their weight over the years.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I had no problem with Nuva Ring for a couple years, I gained weight at times but I can't blame the BC for that! I was on Depo shot years ago, though, and I do feel about 15 pounds of weight gain was related to that so I soon stopped it. No personal experience with IUD.
  • anhancock10
    anhancock10 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I lost weight about 20lbs while on the nuva ring, but i had a lot of trouble with getting yeast infections from it. So i have been nuva ring free for about a year i gained about 10lbs back:/
  • buttercup62999
    buttercup62999 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena also and was just diagnosed with theyroid issues. If I may be nosy, what thyroid test did they do? I know I have had problems for years and my drs kept telling my thyroid was normal. New doc decided to test and she did a A1c, CMP, CBC and a complete thyroid panel. Lo and behold, my dr was able to tell my thyroid was not normal. As far as the mirena and weight gain, I'm trying to think back 3 years and honestly know I did not have any weight loss at all although my thyroid could have been to blame. I will know more as they adjust my meds and I go back to the dr to have the Mirena removed!
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I lost 40+ lb.s while on Nuva Ring, but I also worked out 2hrs a day, 5 days a week. I still use it, and love it compared to how pills made me feel.
    I take this back. The Nuva Ring did not fit me well and frankly became too painful, at all times. I now have Implanon implanted in my arm. It works GREAT from a BC standpoint, but I have noticed I have a lot more acne, and I've gained a lot of weight since getting it. I'm hoping that the gain is from stress and stress related food choices, but I'm not sure.
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    I've had Mirena for almost 8 years now (on my second one, they only last 5 years) and I have had ups and downs with my weight. But after studying my lifestyle habits, it seems that for me, this birth control doesn't have much of an affect on my weight. I had a terrible battle with weight when I was on the depo shot tho...
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    I took oral contraceptives for about 4 years before switching to mirena. The pill def caused some weight gain for me and then I switch brand and WOMP I was a walking basket case that couldnt stop eating....struggled for three months on it and switched to the ring....which I LOVE. No massive weight gain, less craziness (just regular PMS) but the pricetag....OUCH
  • jennmurn
    jennmurn Posts: 2
    Options
    I am on my second Mirena however I am thinking about taking this one out early. I have been working out 6 days a week sometimes 7 days a week. Kickboxing and resistance bands 3 days a week each. I have also been tracking my nutrition daily...most days. I am eating healthier and exercising more and in 7 months have only lost 10lbs. When I look back I believe the Mirena may very well be the issue. Not that I am using it as an excuse but I am so frustrated that I am working so hard to be healthier and fit into my clothes again with very little success even though I am doing all the right things. Thanks for all your posts...makes me feel like I am not alone.
  • sarahdee2007
    sarahdee2007 Posts: 257
    Options
    I have Mirena, and I swore it was the devil! I kept gaining weight, lost my sex drive, and was really emotional. I still have it, but since I have started ACTUALLY trying to lose weight (I was half-@$$ing it before), I have had no problems losing weight, I am MUCH less emotional, and... Yeah. Things have gotten better. I think it was all in my head... Or at least partly..
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I have had mirena for almost a year now and I think its the perfect form of BC. My weight loss has been slow, but not impossible.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just started nuvaring last month. My weight loss has continued without any issues. I haven't noticed any extreme side effects as of yet.

I was thinking about mirena, but I had 2 separate friends have issues with it becoming lodged in the uterine wall. That is too scary to me. I like bc that I have some control over.
  • laurenkitto1
    Options
    I'm currently on the NuvaRing and would like to switch to an IUD.. The NuvaRing has made me gain about 30 pounds since last March... I haven't been eating the best but its been consistent with what i was eating prior to being on it. It also makes me extremely depressed!! I haven't heard that side-effect from many people but it definitely started when I started the NuvaRing. The IUD sounds like a good thing to start. I've heard minimal bad things about it and those things aren't common!
  • seasonsanna
    Options
    I hated Mirena with the fire of 10,000 suns. I gained weight, had constant cramps, constant spotting, super heavy periods, night sweats, bloating, and I was SO damn crabby. I gave it 5 months, couldn't take it anymore and got it out. I started feeling better right away.