Quit smoking and can't lose weight

Options
Can someone please help me! 3 years ago I lost 50 pounds only gaining back a fews pounds losing it and so on. I quit smoking 4 months ago and have gained around 20 pounds. I started working out again 3 weeks ago 5 days a week 2 of the days are with a personal trainer. Also eating a 1200 calorie diet (with having 2 bads days which were only over by 300 calories. Here is my problem I am not losing any weight. My trainer says I have women all the time not drop one pound for 6 to 8 weeks but he says that they say there clothes fit better so they must be losing inches. I read that when you stop smoking you can gain weight for up to a year OMG I will die lol. What do you guys think?? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Replies

• cannibaldoll
    cannibaldoll Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from the scale and just keep doing what you are doing. As long as your clothes are fitting looser and better then you are doing something right and making progress!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking does not always mean you will gain weight. People quitting usually do as they replace smoking with eating.

Sometimes it takes your body a bit of time to drop the weight when you change your lifestyle. Have you taken your measurements? Sometimes that is more accurate at if your body is changing than the scale. You could be losing inches, and gaining muscle ( and we all know muscle weighs more than fat so you could be losing fat but gaining muscle and therefore the scale will not change). It does suck though!

If clothing fits better that's a good sign. Maybe take your measurements (if you haven't already) and take them once a week or once a month and see if those are changing.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, that could be a reason you are not seeing any weight loss.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It's only been 3 weeks, make sur you are eating the right foods and getting the right nutrition and also drinking all your water! Like someone said above, eating back exercise calories too if you are working out heavily 5 days a week.

Well done on quitting smoking too! :-)
  • sunnyd52
    Options
    my daughter had that same problem. she stayed away from the scale , exercised and kept her calories under 1200. after about 1 1/2 months she got on the scale and she had lost 9 lbs ! i told her it took her longer because her body was celebrating being "smoke free". don't give up. you're doing all the right things :flowerforyou: