Real eggs vs. the liquid kind?

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I am heading to the store in a bit and was planning on buying eggs for a couple of recipes I want to try this week. However, I've heard you can buy cartons of liquid eggs (or egg whites, which is what I would probably get). Or maybe even just an egg substitute. Does anyone have experience with these things? Do they cook just like normal eggs? Do they taste the same? I'm clueless here but it seems like an easier way to cook. Thanks!

Replies

• fivetwo84
    Options
    I bought a carton once, & I thought they were disgusting. I just made them like regular scrambled eggs, though. Perhaps it wouldn't matter so much if you were using them in a recipe. They did cook the same, but the taste was very strange to me.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I bought frozen egg whites once. While I was defrosting it in the fridge, the bag split open. Egg everywhere.

I like to stick with real eggs, since I'm trying to eat as natural as possible.
  • Living_Barefoot
    Living_Barefoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It really depends of the brand you buy. I really like egg creations and simply egg whites, they cook just like normal eggs(scrambled of course) and I find they taste just as good :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Is there any medical reason (ie. allergy) why you need to avoid eggs?
    If not, why not get the real thing instead of a processed or fake product? If you can't, or don't want to, eat eggs, then eat something else!
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I eat liquid eggs almost every day and I think they taste great and cook very well. They are a great, low-fat, low calorie source of protein for ovo-vegetarians and don't consider them a fake product as they are made from real egg whites. I use both Egg Beaters and Better'n Eggs and like them both.

9114468.png
    Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I buy the egg substitute (liquid egg whites) that Costco sells and mix it with real eggs just to save a few calories. I do eat a lot of real eggs and consider them healthy.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I eat them almost every day. They taste fine alone or in an recipe and they save a lot of calories.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Real
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like the real thing. I think they're cheaper too than the liquids. Egg whites for me. Egg yolk for cat's shiney coat and custard for hubby!
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use egg beaters and the liquid egg whites. I use them to make scrambled eggs and in most of the cooking I do!!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Real!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    liquidchicken.jpg
    (I'll take the real ones)
  • JekJekums
    JekJekums Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i've been using egg creations recently and they're ok. i notice the difference without the yolk, but i just add hot sauce to give my scramblies some flavour!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I actually like them better than real eggs. I put lots of spinach and broccoli in them so I really never noticed the taste of either.
  • rachelnelson76
    rachelnelson76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Real all the way. I have tried the liquid once but the ingredient list made me dump them! Stick with real food whenever you can!
  • Emily0519
    Emily0519 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of liquid egg whites.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's cage free liquid egg whites (carton) and I think they taste pretty good. This is how I can get more protein without all of the calories of using full eggs and the mess of separating out the egg whites from whole eggs.

For scrambled eggs, it usually tastes better to add a whole egg with your egg whites.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love the "Just Whites" egg cartons. They cook well in the microwave or on the stove. I sometimes pour some in a sprayed bowl, mix in bacon bits and throw on some shredded cheese after microwaving.Mix it up, add some ketchup, enjoy a low cal, yet indulgent breakfast for about 300 calories.
  • kevbot34
    Options
    Simply egg whites is what I go with. Fills me up more then regular egg whites from the shell do. Throwing some lean turkey/chicken on there makes it a protein filled breakfast/lunch. I use to eat 5 servings of that with a whole packet of purdue baked chicken. Protein overload.
  • sophiamour
    Options
    I like to crack a real egg. I feel it is fresher, and it just feels more natural and less processed, although I know you can get the organic liquid eggs which I've tried and also not hated.

I've become pretty good at separating yolk from white, so if I make an omelette or something I usually just use a few whites and a yolk.

You do need the yolk, at least some of it, for all the amino acids and nutritional benefits of eggs. Although, that is the part with cholesterol if that's what you're worried about...