Yoga????

Options
Can you really burn calories by stretching on a mat?
I'm not being negative at all I just got done doing a yoga class and it felt like I wasted my time. What are the fitness benefits of yoga?

Replies

• gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Sleeping burns calories. So can yoga.

I hear it can help you sleep better and helps tone.

Because of my beliefs I haven't done a 'yoga' class, but have practiced the moves in other classes such as Les Mills Body Balance.

If you are just plain bored but think it is for you then keep going to a class for momentum and habit.

If you find it too challenging quit.

If you think you have wasted your time, give it at LEAST a month (I recommend 3 months) - people will comment after 3 months and you will be able to directly attribute that to your class.

You will be moving, in any case, so you WILL burn calories !
  • kadoodle76
    Options
    Well, I am not entirely sure if it burns many calories but it is VERY beneficial to your body because it helps with posture, flexability and balance which are good for avoiding injuries while working out and for making you LOOK like you weigh less. I do yoga alot and I have way more flexability than a lot of people I know who are "big" like me :) It's not a waste of time but keep doing cardio as well to burn calories. Plus...yoga feels good and helps ya relax. Its awesome for tension headaches.
  • JonathansMom0910
    Options
    If you are doing the poses correctly and flowing, then yes you can burn calories. Also, there are some more challenging poses or modifications you can do for more of a workout. I sweat during certain parts of my class and so do others. The stretching helps me to sleep better and I am really relaxed afterwards. Maybe it was the kind and/or instructor for the class you went to??

I feel it rounds out a good workout routine for the week. I do cardio 4X a week, weights 2X and yoga 2X...seems to be working since I have lost 22 lbs in 11 weeks.

Just my opinion of course.

If it is too slow for you, maybe try Pilates instead. Not a cardio workout either, but might be more of what you are looking for.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When I got on track with exercising, I started with Yoga because I have been doing it off and on since College. If you cannot get into the "regular" Hatha Yoga there are options like Power yoga (more focused on core and balancing poses) and Bikram Yoga which is done in a room of 105 degree heat for 90 minutes. It has helped with flexability, balance and has def. toned my arms and thighs. Your body is the weight resistance
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    I LOVE Yoga!
    I have a TON of dvds for it. Haha!
    It may not burn ALOT of calories however it DOES build strength depending on which different positions you are doing, and it helps relax your body and helps keep you tone!
  • ksabo1963
    Options
    Wow!
    Where did you take a Yoga class??
    What kind of Yoga class??
    Next time ask for a cardio one.....love to hear from you after 100 sun salutations...
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Can you really burn calories by stretching on a mat?
    I'm not being negative at all I just got done doing a yoga class and it felt like I wasted my time. What are the fitness benefits of yoga?
    there are a ton of varieties of yoga!
    i burn, on average, 550 calories for a 90 minute session of Bikram or Power/Vinyasa
    by far the best workouts i get!
    edit: burns quite a few calories, works on endurance, posture, balance, range of motion, strengthens the core and every other muscle we neglect doing other exercises, reduces aches and pains, reduces inflammation, reduces stress... i could keep going.
    it definitely helps with overall fitness. it improves what you lack.
  • katcassidy
    katcassidy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do ashtanga yoga and pilates. I sweat my butt off every class. My 'usual' weight is around 115-117, I'm 5'1''. After the holidays and too much traveling I'm up to 133. Today was my first day back to pilates and it hurt! I was sweating really hard. Tomorrow is yoga. Its not just stretches. Its a concise form of breathing through postures. So you do move a lot, and you control your breathing. All my friends who run crazy distance races do yoga for the flexibility of it. And even if you don't get a physical benefit from it, yoga can teach you stillness, meditation, and how to clear your mind.

Give it a try. I prefer pilates over yoga (pilates is like little work outs focused on your core that you do correctly 3-5 times).
  • Tan2410
    Options
    I took a power yoga class about 2 years ago & it really was helpful with strengthening my core. I had better balance & felt better. It does burn calories, maybe not as many as a high impact aerobics class but still burns calories. I liked the class & it was good for me.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I don't like yoga. It's ok after another work out, for stetching, but when i try to just do a yoga class, it hurts! My muscles ache and I don't enjoy it at all. But I know lots of people who do yoga regularly, and love it.

I think any exercise has its benefits, but for burning calories, yoga probably wouldn't top the list.
  • kateATC
    kateATC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love yoga!

I understand what you mean by not feeling like you accomplished much in class. It depends on the class and the instructor. Hatha yoga is more stretching based. It is good for working your posture and flexibility. I enjoy this on a day where I am sore. My muscles feel better when I'm done and I also burned calories in the process. Its like a win win situation.

If you like yoga, but want something to burn more calories, try a power yoga class. It consists of flows of exercises that can really make you sweat and get your heart pumping. In the power yoga class I took we incorporated fitness balls, bosu trainers, and weights once the class was accustomed to how the poses go with out props.

I highly recommend yoga. For me its very relaxing and a great way to unwind from a stressful day at work.
  • katcassidy
    katcassidy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here's a really great video about strength from yoga

http://youtu.be/loszrEZvS_k

its amazing how strong and lean you can get from eating right and using your own body
  • LilytheMighty
    Options
    There are lots of different yoga practices. Go to YouTube and search for ashtanga yoga primary sequence. That's the yoga I do. Well I can't do the primary sequence yet. I do a modified easier version. I don't do yoga for the cardio aspect although my heart is pumping and I sweat like a fountain. What it does for me is help with balance, flexibility, patience, having a better sense of my body, meditation/mindfulness and strength, strength, strength.

I always hated yoga before I found ashtanga. I had done hatha yoga and it didn't feel right for me. I wanted strength not flexibility. So there may be a yoga practice you enjoy.

Be well Lx
  • LilytheMighty
    Options
    Sorry that should have been primary series rather than primary sequence.

This is the vid I show people. My teacher says not to compare myself, yoga is knowing ones own body and respecting its limits but I find this guy super amazing. Just the discipline to have reached this level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu9Sq1RvuoA&feature=youtube_gdata_player