Eating close to bed time?

Options
What the latest everyone would eat dinner if say you go to bed at 10:30? How many hours should I put inbetween dinner and bed.....I should note I am trying to lose more than 20 lbs but I do lift and work out as well. Thanks!

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • honey_mocha
    honey_mocha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    7:30, no later than 8:00. You want too give your body time enough too digest. Your body digests food faster when your awake, slower when you're sleep.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What the latest everyone would eat dinner if say you go to bed at 10:30? How many hours should I put inbetween dinner and bed.....I should note I am trying to lose more than 20 lbs but I do lift and work out as well. Thanks!

if i went to bed at 10:30 i'd eat no later then 10:30. You don't have to eat X hrs before you go to bed, it makes no difference
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    I usually go to bed around 11-12 So i eat my last actual meal around 8:30-9:00.
    Then I usually workout from 9:30-10:30 sometimes a bit later
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

if i went to bed at 10:30 i'd eat no later then 10:30. You don't have to eat X hrs before you go to bed, it makes no difference

^^^ this here.
    i can't eat a big meal and go right to bed. but nutrition and weight loss wise, no difference.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Eat anytime right up until you go to bed if you like.
  • miss_missa07
    Options

I've heard it both ways, and I'm curious...does it make a difference? I typically snack right before I go to bed (healthy stuff, of course), but I'm still losing, so I will likely continue snacking anyway.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm about to shower and have my bedtime snack and go right to bed.

It doesn't matter what time you eat.
  • TheVulcanLover
    TheVulcanLover Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Yep. This. It does not matter how late you eat food. Not from the standpoint of nutrition and losing weight. NOW, there are some doctors who will say some gastro issues are exacerbated by eating before bed (laying down with food in the stomach, pushing into the esophagus, etc) but here's a clue; If you eat late, and you get indigestion, don't eat late. LOL I eat a snack before bed every night. :)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. Just keep your calorie goal.
  • freedomlady
    freedomlady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Personally I really don't think it matters.I have always loved eating at night and since I started dieting its not different so I eat sometimes an hour before I go to bed and I am still loosing weight at the recommended 1to 2 pounds per week. I average 1.6 pounds loss per week and I have lost 26 so far and always eating late at night.
  • Noahwuzhere
    Options
    Eating before bedtime is only a problem is you live a sedentary lifestyle. If you go to bed at 10:30 and you workout from 8:30 to 9:30 you will need to eat after your workout. If you do not eat after a workout you are sabotaging your efforts. Your body will lose muscle tone because it did not have enough fuel to repair the damage from the workout.

There is no magic time to stop eating before you go to sleep. It all depends on your life and schedule. I work get home at 630pm. I begin my workout at 8pm and finish at 9:30pm. I usually go to be between 10:30 and 11:30. Am I suppose to deprive my body of fuel after burning 700 calories because I plan on sleeping in a hour or two?

The simple answer is no. You should fuel your body when it needs fuel. Your body needs the most fuel before and after physical exertion. Fuel before provides the energy to complete the exertion and fuel after provides the nutrients your body needs to repair itself. Therefore, absolute worst time to deprive your body of fuel is before and after a workout.

The more you exert the more fuel you need. The more you deprive your body of that need the less your body will recover. Many people will tell you that your body will burn fat if you workout without eating. This is false. Fat is high in energy. Working out without properly fueling your body will cause it to horde fat and burn muscle tissue, organ tissue and bone to get fuel it needs. As a last resort, it will burn your fat reserves.

Now, the trick is to eat a healthy and balence snack/meal before and after working out. But that is a whole other conversation. I hope I have put the question of wheather or not it is ok to eat before bedtime to rest.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options

agreed, it's cals in vs. cals out. If you're at a deficit, it doesn't really matter too much about the timing of said nutrients.
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Eat anytime right up until you go to bed if you like.

Really sir?:huh:

Just kidding... I do the same.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's just a myth, you can get anytime you want!
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    It's just a myth, you can get anytime you want!

Is my hero............
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I always have a snack just before bed :-)
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I heard from many trainers that it doesnt make a difference.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bed now... Ten minutes ago I ate a brownie, some pudding and peanut butter.

Calories in vs. calories out! Timing is irrelevant.
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    I'm going to bed now... Ten minutes ago I ate a brownie, some pudding and peanut butter.

Calories in vs. calories out! Timing is irrelevant.

Exactly.... High fiving you.