Anyone Else Eating Gluten-Free?

Options
Hi all,

Recently, my doctor recommended a gluten-free diet. Because I was changing my diet anyway and could stand to lose 40 pounds, I decided to make an effort to exercise more and take eating healthy even more seriously...

...I absolutely LOVE MFP. Honestly, I have never paid attention to what I've eaten in the past--let alone account for it--and I just find the website motivating...it also holds me accountable...

Anyway, I was just wondering if any others are gluten-free? Surprisingly, I have found that there is so much that I CAN eat. Like, who can lose weight on gluten-free pizza? :-) Yeah, like that'll happen...

Have a great night!

Mary

Replies

• mistersmithsbox
    Options
    I was gluten-free for a year and I should still be GF but alas... I'm not. If you have any questions, let me know.
  • Mirth
    Mirth Posts: 77
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance. I've been following a strict gluten-free diet for over a year now. It's not without its downsides, but for the most part I find it easy to follow. I've especially enjoyed exploring ingredients I never had a use for in the past.
  • profjamie
    profjamie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses! I, too, have a gluten sensitivity...still trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat. It may sound strange, but I'm glad that I recently discovered this issue -- not only is it forcing me to eat better, but it's also given me the motivation to lose weight. Not to mention that I feel better than I ever had in my life.

I am also here to offer motivation and support...
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    Doc says no Gluten for me! Recently, though, and it seems EVERY food in my home contains it! Anyone got a list of naturally gluten free foods?
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I too just found out I have gluten intolerance...right before Christmas. It's definitely an adjustment, but not getting sick all the time is definitely worth it! Feel free to add me :) I started MFP before dropping gluten, but it's been a nice addition to my weight loss journey! Best of luck!
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39
    Options
    i have gluten allergy- celiac and follow a strict gluten free diet. i very very rarely eat cakes or brownies that are GF at all. i think its been 4 yrs since i had any sort of donut. but otherwise i eat a pretty regular sorta diet.- just not with wheat. feel free to friend me, my diary is open. take care and good luck.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten-free for awhile and it's really helped! I had to ditch cowmilk type of dairy too, but it seems like I'm ok with goat milk products. Anyway my diary's open if you want to look through for ideas. Believe me, there's still PLENTY to eat, lol.

I make my own breads and rolls, often using mixes available at the store. It's easy and I've found that I enjoy it. And after getting the hang of it I'd never want commercially prepared bread again. So to me it's all worked out for the best.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Doc says no Gluten for me! Recently, though, and it seems EVERY food in my home contains it! Anyone got a list of naturally gluten free foods?

All fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, rice, potatoes, nuts ... I'm trying to make those things the staples of my diet, because most processed things have some kind of gluten in it!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Currently doing a Paleo Challenge so I'm grain, dairy and starch free. The extra energy is great. I'm also sleeping better. If I didn't love rice and potatoes so much I'd live Paleo all the time. However, I do a few challenges a year.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I am GF as well due to Celiac's. We have a couple of groups to discuss things, come join us! Search on gluten free in the groups section.

It's hard at first, but once you domit you'll feel oh so much better. My rule of thumb is to shop the perimeter of the store!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Gluten comes from wheat, so any meat, veggies, fruits can be eaten. (I have friend with Celiac. She found out that Snickers are gluten free!! She was elated!)

Also, Walmart has a whole section now of gluten free products. It's all the rave now on the diet scene.....
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 12 years but wished I had started sooner, had a cancerous polyp last January and they just discovered a precancerous one (removed of course) but had I gotten off gluten earlier in life I might have kept my colon a bit healthier. This was a recent finding, the connection between gluten intolerance and risk of colon cancer.
    Read labels religiously, thank goodness they now have to report wheat on the label. Small batch companies don't have to label (like foods at gift shops) but they will usually give you the ingredient list.
    There are tons of GF foods these days, explore, read, sample when you can, there is likely a gluten intolerance group in your area, see if you can find them.
    Gluten free goddess is an awesome blog and a great place to learn about how to cook gluten free.
    Biggest one, if you go to restaurants very often, be fearless in questioning the waitress, I have been surprised by how ignorant wait staff are in most restaurants, we tend to patronize restaurants that have gluten free menus, if you go to a chain restaurant just ask if they have gluten free options, many do.
    There's a start, Google is your friend, and Amazon has many GF options for sale.
    Udis and Rudi's bread are the best and closest to regular.
  • CompuGirl2
    CompuGirl2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey there! While I am not gluten intolerant, my mother is and has been for over ten years. I eat partially gluten-free since I live with my mother. There are soooo many foods out there that contain wheat in them and reading the ingredient lists are a necessity. If you have an Aldis store near you that is a great store to get some gluten free stuff. The Aldi in my town has a ton of stuff that says gluten free on it and you will see if when you go to read the ingredient list because it usually is listed near the ingredient list. Marshmallows are gluten-free. Rice Crispies now has a gluten-free product. Chex now has cereal that has Gluten-Free in big bold letters on the front of the box. There are some Betty Crocker cake and brownie mixes that are gluten-free as well as the health food varieties. Lots of stuff now is being labeled Gluten-Free.
  • CPReaves
    CPReaves Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband and 3 of our kids are gluten intolerant. We have been gluten free for over a year and a half. We are very strict about no gluten coming in the house because 2 of the GF kids are 3 and 1, kinda hard to explain to them why they can't have something. Anyway, in the first year, I lost 45 lbs from just cooking from scratch and not eating out without trying to lose weight (ate what I wanted when I wanted, just GF). In the last 4 months, I've lost another 25 from adding exercise and making sure I eat enough to take up most of my calories since I'm a chronic under-eater). We eat gluten free pizza at least once a week. :) I also make way too much of the goodies, especially around the holidays (the best cookies, cakes, rolls, etc). My non-GF family has me bake all the birthday cakes and make all the cookies, and it is now mandatory that I make all the rolls for the big holiday dinners. My husband has done amazing since coming off the gluten. He dropped 50lbs from doing nothing else. My kids are all completely different people, and my older son (almost 6) has finally been able to gain weight. He's still a skinny stick, but he's a skinny stick with muscles.

Anyway, welcome to being gluten free! If I can be any help, let me know!
  • sarscab
    sarscab Posts: 13
    Options
    I found out I was gluten intolerant in June 2011. I've lost around 25 pounds since then and I have eaten a lot of junk food since then. I recently decided to actually work towards losing weight because once I went gluten free the weight just fell off.

If you don't fall into the trap of eating a bunch of gluten free replacements, you could possibly lose weight. Some gluten free replacements are higher in calories than their gluten-filled friends.

I ended up losing weight because I was overeating since none of my food was being absorbed so I was constantly STARVING! It sucked :(
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I've been gluten free for about 15 years and now my 26 year old daughter just recently started on the GF diet after experiencing the same sort of dietary distress that I had gone through 15 years earlier. Those who go GF these days have it so much easier thanks to the increased awareness of the whole gluten issue for many people. It's difficult at first, but gets easier. And feeling good is a super motivation to stick with it. Whole foods - meat, cheese, eggs, nuts, fruits, vegetables, rice, corn - that's the key. Stay away from processed foods. There are lots of good GF breads, pastas, cookies and such, but I eat them sparingly since they are usually expensive and have a lot of calories and carbs just like the regular stuff.