Be Aware of What You Share on MFP

Options
Been a member a couple of months now and after seeing multiple things, I just feel the need to be a momentary voice of reason: Be real damn careful what you share on MFP with other people. This is a form of social media and can easily be abused---DO NOT ASSUME THAT BECAUSE SOMEONE IS ON HERE WITH A WEIGHT LOSS STORY THAT THEY ARE REAL AND GENUINE FROM THE BEGINNING!!! Very easy to make a profile saying this and that and so on....does not make it true. Predators are in and out of these types of communities. That lady from Sheboyagan might really be a felon from 6 miles away.....be smart and use the site for what it was meant for--support and education--not for meeting great new friends that you know nothing about.enjoy.

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Quit giving away my secrets.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    *LIKE*
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • fitnfuntastic
    Options
    *like* So true and thanks for the timely reminder
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I do believe it is a valid caution, and I do not want to discount the intent, but still:

I absolutely cherish some truly wonderful people I've met on here; they mean the world to me. They have brought accountability, motivation, encouragement, support, smiles, and sunshine to a previously bleak, boring, and pretty self-destructive existence. Despite coming from that bleak, boring, and pretty self-destructive existence, I think that many of my MFPals would consider me to be pretty supportive as well. MFP, and even it's anonymity, has brought out the best in me. Do they see Cranky Rob? Probably not. Nor do they see Unorganized Rob, Critical Rob, or even Broke-As-a-Joke Rob. I don't know what characteristics of my MFPals I don't get to see, but I love what I do see, and that's good enough for me.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Pedobear6969 is a fun and safe Internet friend. He tells great bedtime stories
  • Lady_Senie
    Lady_Senie Posts: 100 Member
    Options

::laughes:: For the WIN!! I've got this REALLY creepy picture of 2 pedobears climbing into my infant son's carseat. It was scary just how many people in my life did NOT get it (never said my husband and I weren't strange) ^_^
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

hahah! Sweet I'll totally friend him and make hi my best friend!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    THIS. I've received some really creepy messages on here. I've also met some excellent people. Some of us are in vulnerable positions, and we're all here to achieve a goal. It upsets me that anyone would take advantage of that, but you really do need to have your guard up on the intarwebz, y'all! It's 2012!
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good thing I deleted the message from the guy telling me how he could help me burn extra calories.