Real eggs vs. the liquid kind?

Options

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My school cafeteria made omelets with them, and I never noticed the difference. I always buy fresh eggs though. I trust them more than eggs in a carton, which I would guess or highly processed. I also make a point to eat the yolk, since that's where all the healthy nutrients is. The only time I cut it out is if I'm baking or something.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Real!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    A bit older and have to limit cholesterol for me and hubby so egg beaters for the win. He has southwest and I have regular, have lots of veggies in the morning in the eggs so no difference in taste really, have had it both ways as the eggs are fine a few days a week. The liquid is faster though. It is eggs folks, just without the yolk. Not fake egg folks, those are disgusting.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat them as scrambled or in a recipe, I don't think they're that bad. You'll be saving calories and it's easier if you're not good at separating real eggs.

I prefer to use real eggs because they are cheaper and I like to make eggs different ways (scrambled, griddled, microwaved for sandwiches).

I say up to you!

ETA: I also like to use one yolk with a couple of whites for an omelette. You just don't have the versatility with carton eggs.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think the liquid egg whites are really the same as regular egg whites. I have had them in scrambled eggs but mixed with a real egg as I normally dont remove all the yolks. I have used the egg whites in recipes as well and they seem equivalent to me, as they are supposed to be the real thing. But I am not sure about the egg beaters regular kind. I like using them when a recipe calls for egg whites etc because then I am not paying the $ to throw the yolks out and it is just easier lol. But they don't last too long so I usually only buy them if I know I am going to be using them in the recipe otherwise they end up going bad and I question when they are still good or not.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If using for cooking in recipes they are great. If you want scrambled eggs go with regular eggs.
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    I buy egg beaters because I think they last longer (and I am terrible about letting food go bad). For cooking and stuff, I think they work just fine. I also eat them scrambled or as an omelet. If you cook them as "eggs" I don't find them as flavorful, and I always feel like they are a little "runny" but they taste fine and if you add a little cheese and stuff, they are good.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The liquid eggs and egg whites are just that. The downside is that you probably don't have as much selection in terms of cage free or brown or local or what have you....

The egg substitutes are typically egg whites that are fortified (to make up for lack of yolk where the nutrients are). This is going to be a personal preference thing.. you'll have to try for yourself. Some people can't stand them; others can.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use both. A whole egg and three liquid egg whites, a little powdered onion, and if making an omlette, baby spinach and mozzerella cheese. Can't taste the difference.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I get GROSSED out by bloody eggs and "umbilical cords".......and have had WAY TOO MANY in the past few years, so I switched to
    the fake ones........
    but that's just me and one of my quirks.......

I use them all the time- fast easy breakfast

and work perfect in recipes.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I am heading to the store in a bit and was planning on buying eggs for a couple of recipes I want to try this week. However, I've heard you can buy cartons of liquid eggs (or egg whites, which is what I would probably get). Or maybe even just an egg substitute. Does anyone have experience with these things? Do they cook just like normal eggs? Do they taste the same? I'm clueless here but it seems like an easier way to cook. Thanks!

I used to buy no yolks or something like that, but it's way cheaper to just buy eggs and remove the yolks.
    I get GROSSED out by bloody eggs and "umbilical cords".......and have had WAY TOO MANY in the past few years, so I switched to
    the fake ones........

I think that's weird. I've never had this happen.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    the fake ones........

I use them all the time- fast easy breakfast

and work perfect in recipes.

That white thing you see in the egg is not an umbilical cord. It is what holds the yolk in place inside the egg. it is called a chalazae (pronounced cuh-LAY-zee)....

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle! G.I.JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE! GO JOE!
  • ashhhhole
    Options
    i use egg whites in a carton, they taste just like regular egg whites and cook the same as well. i usually make omelets.
  • Hotmess2012
    Options
    I am a huge fan of the "southwest style" eggbeaters for omelets or breakfast sandwich. The original flavor is nasty I agree. Try the flavored style only 30 calories for 1/4 cup which is plenty for a veggie omlet! 1 normal egg is 70 calories and lots more cholestrol. Hope this helps :0)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I ended up getting liquid egg whites just to try. I usually only cook with egg whites so I figured this would save time (though it does seem to be a bit more expensive). I'll use this to cook and then decide what to stick with.
  • tbrooke2000
    tbrooke2000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Liquid is just egg whites with food coloring... I make omelets using 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites... so much more tasty! (and usually cheaper to separate yourself...)
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    Reg Eggs are great to eat Lots of protein and they are good for you .. No need to skimp on this !!
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The carton of egg whites were a great idea. Until I poured them in the pan. They creeped me out so I mixed in normal eggs and fed them to my boyfriend.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to work as a cook in a nursing home. We used the liquid eggs for scrambled eggs and anything that would need to use beaten eggs. The eggs we got were real whole eggs in cartons, not artificial eggs. When you're making scrambled eggs for 80 people this was much faster. They tasted just like the eggs you shell, without all the work. :happy:
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My chickens don't know how to lay liquid eggs in cartons, but they lay really good eggs in shells.