Sub Zero Running

Options
OK, iv been running now for 6 months and iv ran in rain (which i do love), sun, hail, cold, gale force winds and a flurry of snow. Last night however. was -2 or -3 degrees C (26 to 28 degree F) when i was running, luckily with no wind. Infact it was that cold sweat came through my gloves and hat and had fooze on the outside!

I wore running tights, long sleve shirt, short sleve shirt and wind breaker jacket, wooly hat, gloves and thermo socks. Needless to say i was boiling! Apart from my thighs...

When im running i hate over heating, and i did abit last night, do you think i over did the apparel? or is it better to be safe than sorry and all that? what do you guys run in?i should imagine some of you run in colder tempuratures.

Cheers!

Replies

• tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cold running, but cheers to you for getting out in that terrible weather! I swim, and the walk from the gym to my car causes my hair to freeze into icicles. I hate it!
  • gj4man
    gj4man Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Start cold, finish warm :smile:

If you try to start warm you'll cook after about 5 minutes
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    lol its ok once you start moving. seriously with the heat i generate running you could hook me up to the National Grid and power a small town :D
  • fellmy
    fellmy Posts: 1
    Options
    I've recently started running outside in the cold weather. A friend of mine introduced me to Runners World What To Wear...you enter the outside temp,wind type,precipitation and if you want to be Cool,Inbetween or warm when you run. A screen will pop up and tell you what to wear for the conditions. It is VERY accurate! i love it :) hope this helps
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    What to wear is a personal choice...I was out this weekend in 10* weather with a wind chill of 0...i wore: running tights, yoga pants over tights, 2 pair socks, tank top, underarmour for cold weather, a fleece sweatshirt jacket, another fleece pullover, headband for ears, wool hat over that, gloves and a scarf....I was warm at the end, but by no means overheated...

Rule of thumb is to start of feeling the cold, end warm....

Just be careful of exposure if you are out for a while
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    agreed on the note someone else already said. If you are ok when you start, you are overdressed.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I think about 26 to 28 degrees (F) is about the coldest I have ran in thus far. I wore yoga pants, sports bra, sports tank, fleece jacket with hood, fleece headband, and a scarf to go around my face. In the beginning, I have the hood on the jacket up and the scarf around my face. By the time I get really good and warmed up, the hood comes off and the scarf is just around my neck to protect from the wind. When it is a little warmer (32 to 35 degrees), the scarf ends up tied around my waist. (I really want to get a face mask -- it is on the list to buy as soon as the budget allows.) When it is around 40 to 50, the jacket ends up coming off and tied around my waist, if I even wear it at all to begin with.

I think that you should dress in such a way that you can either make amendments as you are warm up (removing a hat or hood, tying scarf around waist, etc.) or that you will be comfortable once you get going, rather than dressing for what is comfortable prior to your run.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have run down to 10F +/-

for 26-28 F no wind, I'd probably wear a long sleeve dri fit T, & a medium weight "insulating" layer. Gloves & a head band. And either just tights, or running pants.

Definitely want to start a bit on the chilly side. Sometimes it takes a little experimentation.