Any "Skinny *****" readers out there?

Options
I just finished reading "Skinny *****" - I couldn't put it down!! I don't know if I can do the vegan thing yet but I have definitely sworn off meat. Just wondering what others thought of this book!

Replies

• mindy71183
    mindy71183 Posts: 74
    Options
    I read it awhile back and it really opens your eyes to the way the meat industry works. I never went vegan, but I definitely think about what I put in my body more.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Here! :flowerforyou:

That book changed my life. I'm now a hardcore vegetarian who regularly flirts with veganism. Skinny ***** in the Kitch, really helped my kicked some of my comfort food habits.
  • jennj5
    jennj5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read it about 3 years ago, but became so horrified half way thorough the book that I never finished. However, this year - I started researching veganism again by reading many books and went vegan 4 months ago & haven't looked back!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    It is a bunch of propaganda. There is not need to sacrifice your health and swear off meat, fish or any other protein source.............

Just make sure your meat is grass fed, left to openly graze, breathe fresh air and left to eat what they are designed to eat and then humanely killed.

Make sure your fish is wild caught and not "farmed".

The main thing we all need to think about is getting our food items from natural, wild and organic sources.

I have read the book, tried vegetarianism and veganism and got majorly sick from vitamin and mineral deficiencies you can only get from animal sources.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I read their pregnancy book and found it condescending and pretentious.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I read it and loved the idea and became vegan for about 8 months. It was really easy in NYC because there are vegan restaurants and cares etc but come to think of it I atr vegan brownies and cook is and they are still HIGH in cals. First 3 months my body felt amazing but the effect wore off and so did my veganism. It was right around Thanksgiving :)

Now that I think about it, that book is FAR from unbiased and as the poster above mentioned, you can eat meat and fish from better sources and reap the minerals and vitamins you need.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I read it, but was not convinced on the idea of becoming a vegan at all. I am a student studying nutrition in college, and did not agree with a lot of the information presented in it. It came off as extremely biased and only served as propaganda for me. The one thing I can agree with is that most people do not NEED to eat much meat in order to get their daily recommended amount of protein. However, keeping close and careful track of the foods you eat is VERY important whenever you decide to eliminate entire food groups. This is due to the fact that it is extremely easy to become malnourished in that situation.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Read it years ago and was so horrified that I went vegan for 6 months then vegetarian for about 4 months then eventually went back to my old ways. The book was funny and eye opening but it wasn't what I was expecting. I wasn't ready or prepared for the vegan lectures. And I was looking for something light hearted and funny about weight loss (like a "sex and the city" perspective) and the title lead me to believe I was getting that. Anyway, I still couldn't put it down just from the sheer sphincter-clinching stories of animal abuse and it definitely had an effect on my eating. I think I lost about 5lbs initially going vegan, but I managed to put it back on and eat terrible things like potato chips and gummy bears.

I've learned that cutting out certain foods completely is not right for me, so now I just try to eat in moderation and try not to go over my calories for the day. But I have cut out aspartame completely thanks to the book - that stuff is crazy toxic!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I read it...then I looked at their sources and and their degrees...and yeah, it's not legit info.
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have been either vegetarian or only eaten fish for the last 35 years... but veganism is not for me... I keep my own chickens and have no problem eating their eggs when they are not broody... if I didn't they would... or they'd play football with them, also a fav pastime... I have a friend who keeps bees and can't see for the life of me what the problem is with honey either... I became veggie after having my eyes opened by an animal husbandry course in the local agricultural college as a teenager, and our farming systems may even have got worse since then... It's a matter of personal conscience I think... what would you have done in your name?
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    oh... and too much meat is probably unhealthy too! lol! ;-)
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I read it...then I looked at their sources and and their degrees...and yeah, it's not legit info.

I agree with the above. I like the whole clean living thing but when I tried to go Vegan I put on 2 stone. If it works for you then go for it. It isn't everyone's cup of tea.
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You know, the organic thing this a load of bull... I used to work in the animal industry, know people who still do, am in contact with many animal care lecturers and ALL would never touch organic meat . Why? Because organic means exactly what it says, without any form of chemicals... and sadly that means no medication for an animal that really needs the treatment. It is shocking that they puplicise it the way that they do.
  • Aleshakai
    Options
    I read the book AFTER becoming vegan 4 years ago. I have to disagree with a few comments on here that say it's propaganda and hype, which seems to be the answer when something is not understood. I feel very strongly that we have been brainwashed to believe that we must have meat, which is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!! You can be 100 % vegan and be 100% healthy if you understand what your body needs. There is NOTHING in meat or dairy that you need that doesn't come from another source of food that doesn't have to be killed and skinned before eating it. If you really want to become vegan my best advice is to not pay too much mind to any of the comments here - whether good or bad, your best bet is to do some more research, becoming vegan is a very personal decision and you will hear positives and negatives from everyone out there. If you want to become vegan to help you lose weight that can be done, but you still need to be careful.....It's definitely possible to be vegan and gain weight. I will say though, that when I first became vegan, I lost 30 pounds. Do your research please. Someone on here said that she went vegan and got sick (which is the first time I have ever heard anything like that...***shrugs shoulders***). When I went vegan, I felt the best I ever did in life. PMS was better, no more headaches, I no longer needed caffeine in the morning. You can't just go vegan, you have to understand what is in your meats and dairy and substitute it for the veggies that have the same vitamins. I wish you the best of luck. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions aboyt vegan while on your journey.
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    Years ago I did....and once in a while I will do their fitness DVDs for a fun change in routine!

But, I have never been vegan and never will. Not saying it's wrong to, just not for me.

i'm reading a book now, "150 of the Healthiest Foods on Earth" and I find it much more informative and unbiased. More about what is good to eat, not what you should avoid.