My Workout Routine

Options
I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on my fitness routine. I'm not exactly new to working out but I came up with this and was just wondering what you people thought.

Monday

Squat Press
Military Press
Around The World (5 reps each direction)

Tuesday

Pull Up (negatives)
Bent Over Row (2 arm)
Alternating Deltoid Raise (Raise to the front and to side to complete 1 rep.)

Thursday

Front Squat
Double Swing
Turkish Get Up (15 lbs.)

Friday

Floor Press
Push Up
Standing Butterfly

5 sets of 5 with 1 minute of rest between sets. 1 Set = all 3 exercises back to back. Rest after completion of 1 Set. Working towards goal of 10 sets of 5.

Cardio on off days (Jumping Rope, Walking/Running, Bodyboarding)

All exercises are done with 15 lb. Dumbbells since that is all I have after my moved and lost all of my weights. But I am going to be incorporating kettlebells in the near future.

Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You gassed out after each set? You should be. If not, then up the reps or lower the rest period.

I was wondering where the bench press was but with oly 15lb weights, the push ups are subbing for them? Seems okay with what you got.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This routine should be a nice start for strength training. Make sure your form is correct for your squat. You will need to start adding weight rather than set/reps, if you want to become stronger and add muscle. If not, and you just add sets, you will be working more towards muscle endurance. Either way, it's better than just sitting on the couch.
  • blakeman187
    Options
    Beginners guide to lifting, has some good tips when creating a lifting workout

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115643271
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    we do something similar to this for our intervals as far as how its laid out
    we do four main groups which include two exercises and one ab exercise
    I have found that adding the ab at the end of each set really pushes you ,plus it makes you get ab work done!
    all are 5 sets of 5 except for the abs which are sets of 30
    so basically you have
    25 reps of ________
    25 reps of _________
    150 reps of abs

and thats one group of the four
  • I think it looks good! Just remember to get in that cardio (at least 1-3 hours a week)! Also, diet is 75% of the work - make sure you're eating fresh and eating clean!
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm using the 15lb. weights because that's all I have at the moment. All of my weights were given away when I moved by my G/F's dad. I'm going to be getting at least 1 kettlebell probably a 35lb. in the next week or so I may change it up a bit. I'm eating a vegetarian diet with some fish and whey protien to supplement so the diet is pretty good. After 5 sets I'm feeling it pretty good and my heart rate is around 112. I'm able to do 5 sets every day except on the days that I do TGU's ,on those days I do 4 sets.

Thanks for the replies,

Roger
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
  • RogerF765
    Options
    I have a g/f but lets just say that she doesn't share my enthusiasm for exercise and and trying to get in shape. I just reached the point where I was tired of hurting and feeling like crap all of the time. She hasn't gotten there yet but I think
    I'm rubbing off on her or making her guilty when she wants to start her day with bisquits and gravy and I start mine with a fresh fruit protien smoothie after I've already worked out or went and caught some early morning waves.
  • RogerF765
    Options
    Heres a Cardio workout I came up with for when I don't have a lot of time. Each exercise is done for 60 Seconds with no rest between.

Jump Rope
    Jog In Place
    Jump Rope
    Knee Ups
    Jump Rope
    Mountain Climbers
    Jump Rope
    Step Ups (Chair)
    Jump Rope
    Shuffle Punches
    Jump Rope
    Butt Kickers
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I love the Turkish Get Ups in this!

I will do these for time at my gym and i swear half the people there look like they want to walk up and ask me if i need help standing up!

Bring back the get up!
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    I do something like that with my trainer except I usually have 3 intervals and 3 exercises in each interval. When I get to the end of one interval I repeat it and then move on to the next interval. Somewhere in the training...usually in the last interval I end up doing some form of cardio from rowing to biking. I think I've even just done mountain climbers or something like that as fast I could for 1 min.
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    You should look up www.bodyrock.tv when you want someone else to do the thinking for you. All you need is an interval timer.
  • Alysia1119
    Options
    Turkish Getups for sure, i think to myself this feels strange but it is a good workout! and yes people do often look at me funny when i am doing it too. :P