Reverse roll over calories

Options
I had a great week sticking to a balanced 1200 calorie a day diet, but Sunday night I wound up going out with friends after dinner and went over nearly 600 extra calories. I'm wondering if it's unhealthy to subtract from today's calories so it balances out, or if I should just let it go and do better next weekend? I have about 300 calories left on my plan for the day, and almost exactly the amount of carbs and fats in deficit today that I ate in excess yesterday. Sooooo, to complete or not to complete, that is the question! Thanks for your input!

Replies

• tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't subtract it all the same day. Maybe cut it by 100 each day until you're caught up, or drink plenty of water and eat clean for the next few days.
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you can still loose weight if you go over one day, or even two. I always allow myself two naughty days a week, usually the weekend, and although the following day you might see a 'gain' its not a true gain, and the day or two after that, you will start loosing again. for instance, last week, I did really well mon-fri, lost 0.6lb (i don't have a lot to loose in total so this is a good weight loss for me) then sat and sun I went over as I went out for dinner and cocktails sat, then out for lunch sunday, monday I had 'gained' 1.4lbs but yesterday (monday) I stuck to my calorie goals and voila, this morning I have not only lost that so called 'gain' but lost more on top of that, (0.2lb) so my total weight loss from mon-following tues is 0.8lb! :-) also, this is how I did it a few years ago when I successfully lost a stone and a half (21lbs) I find by doing it this way, it means I am able to stick to a routine and dont feel restricted or resentful. I don't have to say no to invites and can enjoy myself too. Good luck :-)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    in the past when i have done this i eat less the next day, or a litlle less the rest of the week, or just forget about it and start over.
    600 calories over once is not a lot, so i wouldnt worry about it too much :)
  • becky2967
    becky2967 Posts: 124
    Options
    600 proberly wont effect how much you lose as it takes over 4,000 in cals to make 1lb (its hard to explain but to add on 1lb it takes just over 4,000cals but to lose 1lb only 3,500) - in short. so dont worry but if i go over i tend to reduce cals by 150aday, you wil be really hungry otherwise.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    you've done well, I would NOT stress about it!

and if you're going to "roll" calories, at least space it out so that you're still netting at least the recommended 1200..

I've done it on occasion but usually it's no more than like 200 cals, so it's not leaving me feeling deprived that next day.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You don't need to make it up by subtracting at all, a lot of people have a regular weekly treat day or "spike"day where they eat over their calorie goal and they find it actually helps them lose weight faster. :-)
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that you will be dropping below 1200 calories. 1200 calories is already a low number and going any lower puts you at a very high risk for starvation mode!! I would suggest not subtracting any calories during the week for one night! This is suppose to be a lifestyle changes so that you do not gain back what you are losing. This is going to happen!! If your really concerned why dont you work out an additional 10-20 min each day.
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Can you add a little exercise in? I wouldn't recommend cutting 600 out for the day.. that seems like that would be a lot and if you are hungry might end up throwing the rest of the week off. I would try to stick to the daily goal, get some extra exercise (maybe an extra 10 min) and viola.. you should be back on track.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I actually do zig-zagging calories where I eat more on one day and less on another and 5 days of 1200. It keeps my body guessing so I don't hit that dreaded plateau. I don't plan the days, I just let them fall where they may
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would just carry on as normal. I went over my calories the day before weigh in day and still lost 3.5 pounds. It's what you do the majority of the time not the odd lapse. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsNika
    Options
    So is everyone on a 1200 calorie diet or are calories based on height, weight, goal? With my weight and height I still can't believe I'm only getting 1200 calories!
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I think it's okay to go over some days (cheat meals make healthy eating maintainable!) and a little under on others. It's not about hitting an exact calorie amount every day, but about a balanced bigger picture. For example, if I know I'm going out to a nice dinner on Saturday night and plan on having dessert and a glass of wine, I'll cut around 100 or so calories each day for a few days leading up to it. Or if I noticed the last couple days I've gone a little over, I'll do a little extra cardio and/or cut back a little bit on my calorie intake for a few days. That way I maintain my weight overall. :)

That being said, I don't think you should regularly really overeat on the weekends and severely cut calories/work out overmuch during the weekdays to make up for it- that's just binge eating and can be detrimental to your metabolism/dedication overall.
  • davists
    davists Posts: 67
    Options
    Instead of cutting your calories below 1200 over the next few days to make up for one day of indulgence it would be better to increase your exersise. It is very difficult to get your daily nutrients if you drop below 1200 cal.per day.

If I go over on calories or if I want to go out to dinner I increase my work out so that I burn off the extra calories that I eat. It seems to be working I've lost 18lbs in 9 wks, and I do not feel like I'm depriving myself of anything.

Keep trying you'll get there. :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    As John Lennon would say "Let it be":flowerforyou:

I found that with the 1200 calorie intake, a day every 7-15 days with an addl 500 or so calories actually helped keep me from plateuing.
  • aridein
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your tremendously helpful input! I have really enjoyed my diet and on 1200 calories I am no hungrier than usual, and really getting to eat whatever I want. I'm also learning to control portion sizes which the counter has made very easy. Instead of restricting, I just added a lot of cardio this week and I can really see a difference. I feel better than I've felt in ages- and I have cheekbones! No more worrying about occasional overages- now I am being diligent about hitting 1200 so that I stay in the zone :)