Clean eating time management

Options
I would really like to move towards clean (or cleaner) eating, but fear it would take time I don't have.

I work flat out 6 days a week, with day 7 reserved for normal housework-type things, and already struggle to fit in exercise in the evenings. Being vegetarian also means thinking hard about protein, and things like meal replacement bars and shakes really help in terms of convenience. Anyone out there eating clean successfully with very limited time?

Replies

• gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    bumping for when I have time lol
  • joemomma3d
    Options
    i make many of the things i am going to eat that week in one day, portion out , refrigerate or freeze. For example : Hummus, taziki , crust less quiche, bean salad. i portion out snacks for the week, put in containers or baggies ( veggies, nuts, dried fruit)
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of pre-planning as well, but it's tough sometimes. I always pack my lunches and snacks the evening before, so I have at least that much figured out. Dinner is tougher, since my husband doesn't always want the same things I want. I try to make new things and have them as 'go-to' meals that I can make in a hurry or premake parts of the night before. Or I cave and order a pizza :tongue:
  • fishboat
    fishboat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are working to hard. Don't over do it. Only one day a week to yourself is not much time to recharge your system. I wish you could rest more.
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem! I really need to eat cleaner, but feel I don't have the time. I work full time, plus I have six kids! My time is super limited, fitting in exercise is a challenge but I am doing it! Now I need to get serious about the food I am eating! I need help!!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem! I really need to eat cleaner, but feel I don't have the time. I work full time, plus I have six kids! My time is super limited, fitting in exercise is a challenge but I am doing it! Now I need to get serious about the food I am eating! I need help!!

Oh my goodness, what am I complaining about? I can't begin to imagine how busy your life must be. You know what? I think we should not beat ourselves up too much, but maybe just make small changes as and when we can. Or maybe set up a new chain of clean eating fast food outlets ... ? International, of course.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My experience is that changing your eating habits is quite time consuming for the first couple of weeks. Once you get a routine going, and you don't have to think so hard, study labels, measure... it is no big deal.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    My experience is that changing your eating habits is quite time consuming for the first couple of weeks. Once you get a routine going, and you don't have to think so hard, study labels, measure... it is no big deal.

That's a really good point, rocketpants, and I know you are right as I did it once before for a couple of years. But just one thing I don't understand - wouldn't clean eating mean there were no labels? Am I thinking of it too strictly?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty clean and am also busy. Like everything, if it is important to you, you prioritize. I was formerly "too busy" for exercise, but it became a priority and now I make sure I fit it in.

I make large batches of stuff at once, then freeze the leftovers into portions. On busy nights, just heat and eat. I traveled all weekend, got back last night, whipped up a quick pot of sweet potato and black bean chili (took less than 30 minutes) to have for lunches all week. I made a double batch, so leftovers will be frozen for a quick dinner or lunch. I also freeze soups, lasagna, other pasta dishes, cooked chicken...all it takes is a little planning. At any given time, my freezer has a few different options for the nights I am too busy to cook.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Good topic my friend.

Right now I am going with 'cleaner', and using science to justify.

For example, my snack choices used to be VERY poor. e.g. potato chips. Now, it is peanut butter. One day it might even get better.

The science behind it is potato chips - lot's of (empty) calories, but hardly any bodily benefit. Peanut butter - yeah, there are some sugars and fats, but at least the sugar and fat content are calories that get burned when moving.

The next level would require professional advice IMHO.

Gazz