NSV - Off medication

Options
grobbygru
grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
Hi there

Just thought I would report a NSV to you all in case anyone has been on the same medication and wondering if there is ever a way off it.
I was on Nexium (reflux drug - proton pump inhibitor) for many years (5 or 6 maybe). There is no safe data for being on this drug longer than a year so I've read, anyways, I just don't like taking their drugs, yet this had got so severe I had no choice.
I am just over half way through this journey and pleased to report that I came off Nexium 5 weeks ago and do not suffer heartburn/reflux anymore. :bigsmile:

Replies

• bherbie
    bherbie Posts: 11
    Options
    Well done. i think i may have a similar problem but take a lot of tums. I know my intake has come down since i started working out and am going to maintain my goal and work hard. And Congrats on NSV and no longer on the medication. /claps
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!! That's the best victory of all!!
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If being able to get off a medication (safely) isn't success, I don't know what is!!! Go you!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love to see this:love: Great job!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Oh, congratulations to you...that is remarkable! You should be so proud! :smile:
  • goatse911
    Options
    Congrats! Your bone density will be better off that medication in the long run. Been on a PPI for years myself - sadly it's not weight related in my predicament (most likely gastritis from daily stress).
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    This gives me hope!! Ive been on reflux meds a few years now and am hoping when some more weight drops off, I can be rid of them too.. Unfortunately, my 135lb husband is doomed with his as weight isn't an issue for him lol.
  • fleetwood1
    fleetwood1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I am hoping that with improvements I am making that I will be off or use less of the medication sometime this year.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! :drinker: I just had to throw out a bottle of Pepcid because it went out of date.....been over a year since I last used it.
  • Karlaki
    Karlaki Posts: 74
    Options
    Excellent! Keep up the good work!
  • nurseCorinna
    nurseCorinna Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That's huge!
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - it can be done - I am living proof, I was so reliant on them that one time I had run out I reminded myself of a junkie running into the chemist to get them and take it beforfe I even left the counter!!!. Stress is also a killer for it - so you must try to reduce that also - I have undertaken that as part of my life change as well (quit work lol).
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have been on anti reflux meds for years. it started when I was 17, when I was first diagnosed with reflux. I started off with Zantac and when that wasn't effective anymore I ended up on proton pump inhibitors. I have been on Protonix for at least 7 years now. I would love to be able to get off the meds but it's physically impossible. When I don't take it in the morning I am a total acid mess. My reflux is not weight related, I have never been overweight, my body just produces excessive amounts of acid. I even had surgery to tighten my esophagus and it actually worked for a year until it came undone and I had to return to medication.

How did you get off the meds? Did you suffer from rebound reflux? I have spoken to my GI and even he has no answers for me. It's either stay on the meds or get off and be miserable. I worry about long term side effects but right now it's way worse for me to be off of them.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I have been on anti reflux meds for years. it started when I was 17, when I was first diagnosed with reflux. I started off with Zantac and when that wasn't effective anymore I ended up on proton pump inhibitors. I have been on Protonix for at least 7 years now. I would love to be able to get off the meds but it's physically impossible. When I don't take it in the morning I am a total acid mess. My reflux is not weight related, I have never been overweight, my body just produces excessive amounts of acid. I even had surgery to tighten my esophagus and it actually worked for a year until it came undone and I had to return to medication.

How did you get off the meds? Did you suffer from rebound reflux? I have spoken to my GI and even he has no answers for me. It's either stay on the meds or get off and be miserable. I worry about long term side effects but right now it's way worse for me to be off of them.

I'm in the same boat as you - body just produces a lot of acid, not weight related (been like this for at least 25 years, even when I weighed less than I do now. One reason is my hiatal hernia. It seemed to get better when I had my gall bladder out, but if I don't take my meds for a day, I can feel the acid eroding my esophagus.

And congrats to the OP on your being off the medication!! That's awesome!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat as you - body just produces a lot of acid, not weight related (been like this for at least 25 years, even when I weighed less than I do now. One reason is my hiatal hernia. It seemed to get better when I had my gall bladder out, but if I don't take my meds for a day, I can feel the acid eroding my esophagus.

And congrats to the OP on your being off the medication!! That's awesome!

I had my gallbladder out too and I also had a hiatal hernia repaired. Neither had any effect on my reflux. In most people hernias don't even cause symptoms. But since I was having surgery anyway the dr fixed the hernia. Even with the medication there are some things that will cause heartburn and reflux.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!