Any interesting tofu recipes?

Options
Um. It says it's firm.
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TOFU. I picked some up to finally try to do something with it.

Replies

• leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like to slice it up, drain on paper towels, dry fry the pieces and marinate them in buffalo sauce.

I imagine pretty much any marinade you like would work, though. My husband has told me more than once that buffalo isn't the right sauce for tofu, so...

He likes teriyaki sauce with extra garlic.

After it's been marinated, I usually bake it for 40 minutes or so at about 350 degrees, flipping it halfway through.

That's pretty much all I know how to do with tofu, so I'll be watching the thread with interest! :)
  • Landiecat
    Options
    I like to slice it up, drain on paper towels, dry fry the pieces and marinate them in buffalo sauce.

I imagine pretty much any marinade you like would work, though. My husband has told me more than once that buffalo isn't the right sauce for tofu, so...

He likes teriyaki sauce with extra garlic.

After it's been marinated, I usually bake it for 40 minutes or so at about 350 degrees, flipping it halfway through.

That's pretty much all I know how to do with tofu, so I'll be watching the thread with interest! :)

Thank you for your input o: I'll probably be trying that in the next few days!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    If you Google the word, "cooking tofu", you get get Tons of ways to cook it. Long ago we had to buy a cookbook to get new ideas, now you just click a few keys and get more recipes than you can make in a year.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My Grandma taught me this....

-Slice the tofu into decent thickness (like sliced bread)
    -Soak in a bit of orange juice with low sodium soy sauce
    -Put in frying pan for about 4 mins each side
    -Serve with brown rice and mixed veg.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    My Grandma taught me this....

-Slice the tofu into decent thickness (like sliced bread)
    -Soak in a bit of orange juice with low sodium soy sauce
    -Put in frying pan for about 4 mins each side
    -Serve with brown rice and mixed veg.

Sounds good, will try it!
  • dynamanda
    Options
    I eat tofu at least 3 times a week. My favorites are spicy tofu Korean soup. It's really easy and very low fat. I also like to cut it into cubes, toss them in cornstarch and Chinese five spice, then flash fry them. I also cut them into 1" thick rectangles, marinate them (in whatever you want it to taste like) and then bake. You can cut them into sticks, like fish sticks, bread them, bake them, and dip in BBQ sauce, ketchup, etc. There are TONS of things to do with tofu. Look through vegan/vegetarian websites. That's the best place to find a wide variety of recipes.
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use silken tofu to put in my shakes in the morning. It gives the shake a nice smooth texture.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If you crumble it up, it works as a GREAT meat substitute in pasta dishes. I also really like it thinly cut and put into soups, or, like determined said, in a asian-style dish. It makes Excellent Stir fry protien!

I personally recommend, if you like it, sticking with the firm. I can't handle the texture for silken tofu....
  • 77Maria
    77Maria Posts: 90
    Options
    I know nothing about tofu....what is it really? I need a lesson. Is it made of soy?
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    here is an easy recipe video for fried tofu

http://www.videojug.com/film/agedashi-tofu
  • gwark
    gwark Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    www.vegweb.com has some great recipies. I used to make scrambled tofu and tofu omelets a lot. Now I usually just make a variation of fried or agedashi style tofu with a medium-firm tofu. I find the firm tofu has too much energy packed in it for my diet and I prefer it marinated, which takes time.

There is a great chocolate mousse recipe I've made many times with the soft or silken tofu.
    Have no fear, I've impressed some serious foodies with it:
    http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Chocolate/recipe.html?dishid=7953

Next time you are out for Thai or Vietnamese food, try tofu instead of chicken or pork. You may be surprised with how good and easy it is. Non-western cultures tend to embrace tofu as a main ingredient instead of a protein replacement.

Have fun!
  • 13Natty
    13Natty Posts: 57
    Options
    Seems to work well in curries. I eat tofu also but by the sanitarium pre-made products because I have not know what to do with it and they seem to flavor it well. Sausages and curries etc
    But I will be following this thread also to see what I might try *going it alone* I have grated it and made rissoles out of it before.
  • chiv123
    chiv123 Posts: 36
    Options
    I use buffalo sauce too! IMO its an easiest way to go because the sauce is sufficiently flavorful that it masks the "tofuey" taste in case you don't drain/cook it as long as ideal. Plus I find the spicy more satisfying for less calories. I hear if you freeze and thaw the tofu before cooking it it makes it chewier, but haven't tried it yet.
  • Landiecat
    Options
    Thanks you guys (: Minus the smart *kitten*.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Stir fries are really the best thing to do with it. It soaks up marinade very quickly, so just do it for 15 minutes or so. I like to fry the tofu first, by itself, so it gets nice and crisp. Then I remove it from the wok and do the veggies. During the last 30 seconds of frying I mix it back in.

To make the tofu even more firm, place it on a towel-lined plate, cover it with another towel, and place something heavy on top. Leave it this way overnight or as long as you can. This will get out excess water and make it firmer, so it won't crumble to bits when you stir fry it.

Some people like to freeze tofu-- this gives it a spongy texture that is good for absorbing sauces or for replicating meat.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I eat tofu at least 3 times a week. My favorites are spicy tofu Korean soup. It's really easy and very low fat. I also like to cut it into cubes, toss them in cornstarch and Chinese five spice, then flash fry them. I also cut them into 1" thick rectangles, marinate them (in whatever you want it to taste like) and then bake. You can cut them into sticks, like fish sticks, bread them, bake them, and dip in BBQ sauce, ketchup, etc. There are TONS of things to do with tofu. Look through vegan/vegetarian websites. That's the best place to find a wide variety of recipes.

What is your recipe for Spicy Tofu Korean Soup? Sounds yummy.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

What is your recipe for Spicy Tofu Korean Soup? Sounds yummy.

I would like the recipe for this too. I tried Googling it but the recipes I found involve a lot of meat. Let me know if there's a vegetarian version out there!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cocofae
    Options
    Well because my husband is a vegetarian it forces me to learn to cook meals he can enjoy. One receipe is tofu burgers.
    All you need is one box of tofu, pecan meal (which is crushed pecans, bread crums, oatmeal (raw) and mix. Add seasonings and a little liquid and put in the oven. Delish
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    What kind of tofu?

I take extra firm, slice it up about 1/4" thick, spread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, garlice, parsley, bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.