new here and boy do I need help!

Options
I am a divorced 53 yr oldfemale who is over weight and over stressed. I live in Galveston Tx and lost everything I owned thanks to Mr Ike.
I have also gain almost 20 lbs since then( on top of the already 50 I need to lose)! I just took an online test on how long will you live! Between the weight ,lifestyle and stress I was only given 5 years (2014). Real bummer !! I need to make some changes and fast! I have never used one of these online site to get help to lose weight but looks pretty cool so i am going to check it out and prove that stupid online test wrong!

Any input will be welcomed!

Jeanne

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I am a divorced 53 yr oldfemale who is over weight and over stressed. I live in Galveston Tx and lost everything I owned thanks to Mr Ike.
    I have also gain almost 20 lbs since then( on top of the already 50 I need to lose)! I just took an online test on how long will you live! Between the weight ,lifestyle and stress I was only given 5 years (2014). Real bummer !! I need to make some changes and fast! I have never used one of these online site to get help to lose weight but looks pretty cool so i am going to check it out and prove that stupid online test wrong!

Any input will be welcomed!

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it!
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off!
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    eat your fruits and veggies
    drink your water
    exercise daily - a 10 minute walk, if that's all you can fit in, is just fine
    learn to avoid certain things that show up on the nutritional label - the less complicated the ingredients, the better
    forgive yourself if you mess up and gt right back on track
    be aware of ten minute exercises to do - youtube is a solid source!
    have some workout DVDs for when you feel too lazy to leave the house - no excuses!
    go into the kitchen and toss out alllll the bad stuff. now.
    have AT LEAST 90% of your liquid intake be water
    watch the alcohol, dessert, etc. again, prelog
    dont see this as a "diet" but more a new lifestyle.
    eat smaller portions more often
    don't starve yourself!
    make/set minigoals, of the fitness, inches, and pounds lost variety
    keep a blog so you can rant and rave all you want. esp. helpful if you're an emotional eater
    there are MANY good tips floating around here - spend time browsing the forums / looking up key words and questions
    join a weight loss group/community here to become a team member and therefore have accountability

feel free to message me if you ever need to talk!!!
  • joolesh
    joolesh Posts: 26
    Options
    I am pretty new here myself. The website is VERY easy to use so I am confident you won't have any problems. In addition to the great advice you have already gotten just remember to focus on 1 day at a time. Looking to far ahead can seem daunting but anyone can do anything for just 1 day. Anytime you want to chat send me a note. Good luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • crazytxgran
    Options
    Hi Jeanne: I'm pretty new here myself, but the pounds are dropping. I would have to say just logging what I eat and measuring my portions has been a real eye opener! I think my eyes were bigger than my stomach when it came to portions...wow, this has made a difference. I had a yearly physical and got a stern lecture from my dr because my blood pressure is high, my blood sugar is high, my cholesterol is high.....I can't wait to get retested because I just know all of that will change with just eating healthy.......you can do it, girl!!!!! Keep in touch if you need to chat. Helen
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site. I do. This site is so motivational, supportive, easy to use, and everyone is so great here. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: