heavy strength training and weight gain?

Options
Hi everyone. I just started back on MFP over the last few weeks and have finally gotten myself back into the routine of working out 6 days a week.

I have a question for those of you doing heavy strength training - do you find you weigh more for a couple of days afterwards? Last week and again this week I saw my weight go up by about 1.5 lbs after doing some heavy training with a personal trainer. Last week week I trained on Sunday, weighed myself on monday and was up 1.5 but then weighed myself on Tuesday - my regular weigh in day - and then was down overall by 1lb. Meaning I lost 2.5 in one day.

I did the same thing Sunday and yesterday had another strength class. Weighed myself this morning and lo and behold i'm up 1.5 again. I'll weigh myself again tomorrow to see if it goes down.

Sorry, that's a really long explanation for the question... I'm thinking it's because my muscles are inflamed after the workouts. Anyone have any thoughts/experience on this?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Not inflamed but retaining water to repair themselves. Not uncommon and totally natural. Also your body is storing glycogen for anticipated future workouts and that also requires water to help store it. It usually take a couple of weeks or so till the body adapts to it. Then the pounds should start going down again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fitcanuck
    Options
    Thanks! That makes sense - wrong diagnosis but right idea I guess. lol
    Looking forward to weighing myself tomorrow to see the number go down.

I was planning on doing cardio tonight but would it be better to take a rest day? My rest days are usually Saturday or Sunday.
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff has some of the most solid advice on these forums =)
  • fitcanuck
    Options
    I weighed myself today and I am down overall by .4 lbs but it's still very frustrating! I workout 6 days a week and stay within my calorie count. I'd really like to lose a pound a week. Is it possible my body is still adjusting?? If that's the case how long does it take for it to get used to the activit?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You're obsessed with scale weight and using it as the gauge for success. My advice at this point is to quit weighing every day. Weigh in once a week. Just focus on the task at hand and all will be fine.

IDEA Fitness member
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You're obsessed with scale weight and using it as the gauge for success. My advice at this point is to quit weighing every day. Weigh in once a week. Just focus on the task at hand and all will be fine.

IDEA Fitness member

ITA. don't weigh everyday. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will see progress. I probably weigh in once every 3 weeks because it's just discouraging and I can tell how my clothes fit.
  • fitcanuck
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I don't weigh every day. I weigh once a week on Tuesdays. The reason I asked the question and weighed myself today is because my weight went up after the hard workout. It's discouraging to see the number go up after a week of hard work. Hence weighing myself the next day to see if it's related to the workout or if i'm doing something wrong.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're not doing so already, get a tape measure and measure inches. Weight 200lbs with a 40" waist much different than weight 200lbs with a 32" waist. MFP only offers measurement of waist, hips, and neck. I suggest using bodybuilding.com for measurements since they keep track of upper arms, forearms, chest, shoulders, waist, hips, thighs, calves, and neck...then they track it on a neat little graph.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    you can add categories in MFP for other body areas, such as chest, thighs, etc. Then it will track it with a graph also.

Measurements will be MUCH more accurate, and have multiple body points. Often I will lose inches in one area only, another time it may be 2 or 3. So if you do not have more then one area to gauge - you miss that improvement.

And many times I lose inches but NOT scale weight. So if you go by scale only - again you are missing your progress. Eventually the scale does drop also, but it may take a week or three to "catch up".

Its ok though - you want overall body composition improvement, overall tightness, and leanness - not just lb loss. :)
  • treatingmybodyright
    treatingmybodyright Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I also go up 1.5 pounds after a lifting workout and back down at least a pound after a cardio day. I hate going up at all, but I'm starting to understand the reasons why.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't weigh every day. I weigh once a week on Tuesdays. The reason I asked the question and weighed myself today is because my weight went up after the hard workout. It's discouraging to see the number go up after a week of hard work. Hence weighing myself the next day to see if it's related to the workout or if i'm doing something wrong.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie&page=1#posts-4730712

Recommend you read this then.

IDEA Fitness member
  • fitcanuck
    Options
    I'm tracking my measurements as well but I tend to wait a couple weeks between measurements. I find week to week there's not always noticeable changes.

I'm 5'6.5" and 162 lbs. My goal is to get to 145 but we'll see how it goes. I have a a major pear shape with a 34" chest, 29" inch waist (measured at natural waist not bellybutton) and 42" hips.