Customer service at gyms

Options
Hi, I'm curious what everyone's opinions are on this:

I have a friend that works out at a gym near her house, and thought it would be fun to have a workout partner, so I went to join there last night. She was running late, so I decided to go in and get signed up so that we could workout when she got there.

Well, I walked in and a bunch of super huge muscular guys were there working out, and everyone turned and looked at me when I walked in. I stepped to the desk and waited for FIFTEEN minutes for someone to help me, and noone ever came to the desk. I walked out and waited for my friend. I chatted with two women that were outside stretching, and they told me if I needed help with machines or anything, I wouldn't get it there. Once my friend arrived, we went in, she signed in and dropped her kids off at the daycare, and I waited at the desk for another TEN minutes (this time I noticed the guy was hiding in the office in a dark corner talking on the phone).

He finally came to the desk and asked what I needed. I asked him for membership information, and he wouldn't even look at me (he was fiddling with phone cords and keyboards) while mumbling off their prices, which were $50 down, $25 annual fee, and $10 a month.

I decided against joining because 1, I felt really out of place and even more out of shape than I really am and wouldn't be comfortable going to that gym by myself, and 2, the crappy customer service the manager gave me. My friend thought I was crazy because I didn't think I should have to wait 25 mins to give the guy nearly $100 to join the gym (he could have at least acknowledged me or something in my opinion). I left and went back to Planet Fitness was helped within 1 minute, rejoined and worked out.

Am I crazy? What happened to customer service? Was I wrong for leaving based on my experience?

Replies

• amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Heck no you're not wrong! I wouldn't have waited 15 minutes. That is ridiculous!!
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would've peaced out. Screw that!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    You're not wrong! Customer service is key.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I would've peaced out. Screw that!

LOL I'm glad someone agrees with me! My friend was all 'I can't believe you're leaving because you had to wait'. Ummmmmm. Someone else will take my money in a second! LOL
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to a few different gyms. There has never been a time I've walked in and there wasn't at least one person standing at the desk (sometimes two or three) and if they can't help you immediately (working with someone else), they at least acknowledge your presence and say they or someone else will help as soon as possible.

And they've always been very helpful and nice. You definitely found a bad gym.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I would call the management, just to let them know their employees are scaring away potential customers. I wouldn't join a gym like that; I don't know many who would.
    At least in my area, it is very not typical. As soon as you walk in the door, you are besieged by someone who wants to show you around, explain the classes, and sign you up. At least that's how it is at the national chains. Currently I go to the college gym (as a student it's part of my fees) but even there they have someone at the front desk all the time and people to answer questions too.
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    bah to that.
  • MissSaraSunshine
    Options
    I don't blame you for not joining! I usually seem to have the problem at Urban Active here in my home town. I decided to join my community Rec Center instead. It's cheaper and there is a variety of people. Also, YMCA's are great!
  • pompeyqueen
    pompeyqueen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    you were right in every way! that is really poor service and I wouldn't of stood for it!!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Recession on - you'd think customer service would be sky high trying to retain existing customers and fighting the competition for theirs.
    Bad customer service is my one gripe in life. I just don't get it. I have been a hospitality manager for 10 years and I'm passionate about giving the wow factor and making each visit extraordinary.
    I am completely with you on this!
    Planet Fitness deserves your money, this other place clearly does not need it, but may find themselves another victim of the recession sooner rather than later at this rate. More fool them.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I do have a complaint about customer service at gyms:

-The front desk people get so engrossed their own conversation they don't even see you standing at the counter needing help.

-Front desk people not being knowledgable about classes. Twice I asked about two diff classes at my current gym, and the front desk ppl had no clue what the classes were about. I believe they should at least have a general knowledge of what type of class it is, even if they don't know specifics.

These have been current customer service experiences, otherwise, I really don't pay attn to much else when I go work out! LOL
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No, you're quite right. They want a lot of money, so they should be willing to be helpful.

I must admit, I'm really lucky with my gym. It's council owned but only costs me £19 a month for full use of the swimming pool, the gyms and the fitness classes and I can get one of the fitness guys to write me up a gym programme for free as well. When I joined it was a bit of a lengthy process, but for the right reasons! I got given an application form/direct debit form to fill out and then had to hand it in at the gym where they signed me up for an induction session. I wasn't allowed to use the gym until I had an induction in case I injured myself because I didn't know how to properly use the machines, so had to return back in a few days to have my induction before I was a fully fledged member, but at least that showed that they cared about their gym users and their welfare.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    When I go to 24hr and log in, your name pops up on their screen. So every time I go I get acknowlaged by name! So yeah, I would have walked out too. Seriously that is just terrible.
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No your not crazy. The gym my husband and I used to go to, always had atleast 1 person but most of the time 2 people that would stand at their front desk. There would have to be someone there at all times because you have to give them a little keychain card thing to be scanned and they had to buzz the door for you to get into the actual gym part. There were always employees walking the floors incase you needed help with anything. Just wish we lived closer so we could keep going there.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    That's bad. You can find a better gym than that.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That's pretty poor service! Just because it's inexpensive ($10 a month is really cheap), doesn't mean you have to put up with all that. My gym is $20 a month, the trainers all know me by name and comment on my progress, and the front desk is always staffed. It's not a stretch to do something like that. I'd shop around for a gym that you feel comfortable at, and that treats you with respect. You ARE paying them...
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes that was crazy, people should beg you to join! I mean it! You shouldn't have to wait for service at all. The gym close to my house actually have very nice and friendly staff and any other gym I every went at they were super nice and like I said they seemed to almost be praying you will decide to join. So If I was you I will put a complaint, call find out who is the manager, who is the district manager or owner and write up a letter. Go to Yelp.com and write a complaint there too. I worked in the customer service industry for a long time and I know for a fact that even if you just shrug someone off after a complaint, once it gets to corporate you will hear about it. But you did good not to join, and just for what they did, they should offer you free membership. I would also write the gym name in here, why hide their identity?? ;) good luck next time!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Before joining my gym, I visited a few others. But when I walked into this one, I was greeted immediately. The guy took me to his desk and explained not only about the gym but gave me all kinds of information about nutrition, etc.. he was a talker and really friendly and made me feel really comfortable. He wasn't a "salesman" but had been a trainer before and I also signed up for a trainer too, which was my intention before going in (love him, he's great).

By the time I left, instead of being intimidated (which I was totally going in), I was pumped and excited to start the next day.

When I walked in the next day, not only did the guy who signed me up remember my name, but the greeter at the desk knew my name too. It's a great feeling walking into that gym. Best decision I made for myself.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Thank you all for confirming that I'm not crazy. Well, not about this at least ;)

PS. It was Powerhouse. I thought about posting it on their Facebook page, just because that always seems to get the most attention.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Customer service is important and you should not have been treated that way.

HOWEVER, you really should make an appointment if you want to speak with a membership representative about joining a gym. They have trial plans, etc...and you'll get a much better experience than you get just walking in.

Also, providing a good customer service experience needs to be incentivized by management. You will get excellent service from places that have member reps who work on a commission or at least a bonus system. I gather this place has nothing of that sort...