Most accurate scales?????

Options
So a friend and I are having a discussion and I need some opinions or facts.....whatever you've got. What kind of scale is more accurate and electronic one or one of those old balance scales??

Replies

• MaxineYS
    MaxineYS Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was about to start a thread asking for recommendation on scales, so will watch this space
  • rachs02
    rachs02 Posts: 47
    Options
    Well nobody seems to have an answer!! lol
  • agreaney18
    Options
    I'd like to know what people think too...and recommendations for best one to buy?
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    anything by EATSMART.

Recommended. Always the same weight no matter how many times you step on and off.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    the ones in dr's offices with the sliders are the most accurate.
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I stand by the Taylor digital one from Target. It only costs about $20. I have had mine for 4 years and love it. I even weighed a dumbbell to check accuracy..and it was right on the money.

Digital scales give you a more exact reading. When you lose 0.2 pounds, you feel successful.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion, the digital scales are the most accurate. The regular scales can get off balance and show that you weigh more or less (by a significant amount), and that's not good. My mom has a normal scale that's about 10 lbs off. I have a digital scale (I can't remember the brand) that also calculates body fat percentage and stores all my information. It's a pretty cool scale. LOL.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Tanita scales are good but what matters the most is to just use the same scale everytime.

Most scales will give the same weight +/- a few pounds. There are so many variables invovled, it's probably just more important to use the same scale each time than it is which one you use.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    I use my WiiFit which I have found is just as accurate as the high end scales at my gym.
  • lgubbels
    lgubbels Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor, electronic. I have to step on it twice to get the correct weight, but once I do that it is equal to the scale at my doctor's office, which is also electronic.
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    My guess is that the Dr. ones are the most accurate as well, but I do love my body composition scale. It really helps to see other numbers changing on it when maybe the total weight doesn't change.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My gym has the "doctor's office" kind of sliding balance. Even the people working there will tell you it's off. Personally- I love my digi that reads to the 0.1 #.
  • Destinie589
    Options
    I have always heard digital is better BUT not to trust the body fat readings that many of them have.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Tanita scales are good but what matters the most is to just use the same scale everytime.

Most scales will give the same weight +/- a few pounds. There are so many variables invovled, it's probably just more important to use the same scale each time than it is which one you use.

I also have a Tanita digital scale, and I love it.
    It gives me a consistent reading, and also % body fat estimates given my age, sex, etc.

Haven't compared against others for accuracy, but knowing how the Japanese do things I bet it is really close to the real weight.
    And I also agree with this post, that the most important thing is to use the same scale.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    my Withings scales are pretty much spot on. When I bought them, I went up to the doctors and asked to just check my scales against them. Came out to the gram. Read exactly the same at home, either on stone tiled floor in the kitchen, Laminate timber in my workroom, carpet in the Lounge or Bedroom... Not a whole lot more you can ask of a set of scales really - apart from they also automatically log up to 6 peoples weight online, provide a history, and (if MFP ever get their finger out,) can update web weight logging programs as well - works well with fitbit, for example!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have always heard digital is better BUT not to trust the body fat readings that many of them have.

Yes, digital is better because the reading is easier to read. BF readings on any machine or handheld device is probably going to be sketchy.

My scales BF% is off by about 8%.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The slide scales, like the doctor uses is the most accurate. It is recommended for you to compare the two to ensure your scale is calibrated properly. The advantage of the old style is that it can be adjusted if it gets off. I haven't seen a digital scale that could be adjusted.
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Yes, digital is better because the reading is easier to read. BF readings on any machine or handheld device is probably going to be sketchy.

My scales BF% is off by about 8%.

I just bought a Taylor on Sunday, with BF and Water percentages, user profiles, etc. How do you know the BF% is off by a precise number? I'm assuming you compared it to an actual skinfold BF measurement with those tong-like things? I only had that done once in my life, in junior high PE, forcibly *shudders.* He said it in front of the whole class and told me I was very overweight. Humiliating.
  • WBSJR
    WBSJR Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did some research on this topic for myself... after much surfing, I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326894064&sr=8-1-spell

It is not only exceptionally accurate, but has a large well-lit display... It looks pretty cool too! I really like it! Good luck!

Warren
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love my EatSmart scale. I just got measured on a Tanita scale and the body fat result was only off by about 1% and the weight was off by .5 in comparison to my EatSmart scale. There is a sliding scale at my gym, and it takes some abuse so I don't trust it.