Eating before bed ?

Options
Hey, as an evening snack I usually have about a tin of tuna on 3 ryvita crisp-breads with some cucumber. Comes to about 330 calories. I normally get most hungry late in the evening and cant get to sleep without something in my stomach before bed.

I usually eat this around 9 PM and am asleep by about 11.

Anyway I have heard that eating close to bed time does not help in losing weight.

Could anyone explain to me why and what's your views on eating before bed ?

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I eat before bed all the time and always have, even a few years ago when I lost 50lbs.

I don't buy into the whole "don't eat late or you'll gain weight" kind of stories. Regardless of what time of day you eat you are still consuming the same amount of calories. As long as you have a calorie deficit you are fine.

Eat before bed if you are hungry. No harm in it. If you have issues with heartburn, etc in the middle of the night or the morning that may be a sign to cut down what you are eating or try to eat earlier. If you don't get those issue go ahead and eat if hungry.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I eat before bed all the time and always have, even a few years ago when I lost 50lbs.

I don't buy into the whole "don't eat late or you'll gain weight" kind of stories. Regardless of what time of day you eat you are still consuming the same amount of calories. As long as you have a calorie deficit you are fine.

Eat before bed if you are hungry. No harm in it. If you have issues with heartburn, etc in the middle of the night or the morning that may be a sign to cut down what you are eating or try to eat earlier. If you don't get those issue go ahead and eat if hungry.

^ This.

Monitor your total intake for the day OP. Disregard the clock.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i recently heard that as long as you wait 2 hours ( which you do) before sleep you are ok.. maybe it has to do with proper digestion.. laying down may interfere with it some how..
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat at night unless I am actually hungry because I tend to mindlessly eat the most at night. If I am hungry when I go to bed, I don't sleep well, so I will have a light snack. If I eat a lot before bed and am too full, I won't sleep well either, so I keep it light.
  • jankaf
    jankaf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there ... I have been up and down all of my life with weight and I have recentlly come to the conclusion that when I restrict myself to nothing to eat other than the planned meals I struggle more. For me - and this is only my own experience - I have found that I do better in managing healthy weight loss when I have breakfast, snack mid morning, lunch, snack mid afternoon - dinner about 6pm or so and then a bowl of cereal or a piece of toast with cream cheese or pb before bed. I don't wake up hungry = sleep better - feel generally "fuller" on less calories. This of course tied to daily exercise regime of cardio and walking....
  • Tcrp1982
    Options
    I like to drink some milk or a protein shake before bed. Helps me sleep and so I am not as hungry in the morning. If I wake up in the middle of the night - I try to eat an apple or an orage.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    tuna before bed? make sure you brush and floss or morning mouth will make you gain weight
  • arsenalbates
    arsenalbates Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs LOL :)

Thanks all for the replies, they have been very helpful :)