where not eating clean all weekend gets me....

Options
I started the 30 day shred yesterday, I was pumped and feeling good after the workout. I know it was only day one, and all weekend I ate what I wanted (in moderation) ...but when I woke up and weighed myself today I was 4 lbs OVER my start weight! I'm a bit discouraged.

I don't want to have to kill myself with exercise AND not be able to enjoy what I eat once in a while. Maybe that's what it takes when you're pushing 30?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you're not used to the exercise, your muscles will retain water after it, so you gain weight there. If the foods you chose to eat had high levels of sodium, further water retention can happen because of that. On top of this, you need to be mindful of when you're weighing - it needs to be in the morning after you've properly expelled. Don't get disheartened, and I'd suggest you measure rather than weigh to give yourself a better idea whilst on a heavy workout program :)
  • eoney
    eoney Posts: 35
    Options
    Interesting info...didn't know about newly exercised muscles retaining water. Thanks for posting, cversey!
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you're not used to the exercise, your muscles will retain water after it, so you gain weight there. If the foods you chose to eat had high levels of sodium, further water retention can happen because of that. On top of this, you need to be mindful of when you're weighing - it needs to be in the morning after you've properly expelled. Don't get disheartened, and I'd suggest you measure rather than weigh to give yourself a better idea whilst on a heavy workout program :)

thank you the water weight in the muscles is probably what's happening. I didn't eat anything crazy over the weekend, just ate more and less healthy than usual. Even at Applebees I ordered the under 550 calorie steak meal (it was so good)
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can't have gained 4lbs in a single day; it can only be something like fluid retention, high sodium as someone else suggested, or the body's natural fluctuations or something along those lines. If you weigh every day you're going to see it going up, down and all over the place: weight loss isn't a single steady downwards line :) I try to stick to once a week, that way I don't get discouraged when I see it going up on a couple days and if there's an overall loss over the course of the week, *that* is what I'm seeing, not the small gains and losses in the middle :)