How did you gain your weight?

Options
Hi all,

I'm curious about this for others as I've been doing a lot of thinking. For me, I gained my weight somewhat slowly, about 5-10 pounds a year for 10 years. It was a combination of being sedentary, too many dinners out, too much beer (yummy but SO high in calories!) and around 5 years ago, just giving up and resigning myself to a lifetime of fat.

Now I want to start a family and be fit so I can be a good role model. My dad lost 70 pounds last year and I figure I've got at least half of his genes and am 20 years younger so if he can do it, why not me?

My goal is to find out why I got here, forgive and accept myself and move forward building a lifetime of healthy habits.

What's your story?

Emily

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,251 Member
    Options
    I got here because of horrible eating habits and not being active.

I was never a skinny person, but when I was younger I was very active, played multiple sports (soccer, basketball, tennis, and swimming to name the main ones), and was very muscular. I still didn't eat well (no one in my family did) but at least I was working out and doing stuff all the time.

When I got older, I stopped the sports (partially due to a knee injury while playing soccer) but kept my normal diet. I would even say my diet got worse when I had the money and car to get whatever I wanted instead of being "stuck" with the options in the house. I would pick up a large McDonald's fry on my way home from school. I would leave my house JUST to get fast food for lunch. Stuff like that. I would also eat portions 3 or 4 times the normal size! So, even if what I had was healthy, I would still eat too much of it. I was one of those that would eat until I was stuffed... and then eat some more!

That carried on until this past December when I had a break down and had to take a look at my life. I realized just how unhappy I was and how horrible I felt. So, I decided to give this a shot. I have been here just over a month now. I credit the success so far on being more prepared to do it. Before I started I cleaned out the kitchen, I cleaned out my recipe bookmarks of anything that would be too tempting, and I found new healthy recipes.
  • Mogan82
    Mogan82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went through two years of fertility treatments. During that time I got very dperessed, ate too much, drank wine too often to make myself feel better, and shot myself full of hormones on a regular basis. Turns out that is a recipe for total disaster when it comes to your weight. I still worked out on a regular basis, but other than that I was killing myself slowly. During those two years I actually got pregnant 3 times, and lost two of them, which also packed on the pounds. The end result was that I was 179lbs the day my daughter was born. She is now 14 months old and I am down to 142 with only 12lbs left to go to get to my goal weight!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i simply looked the other way for about 8 years. oops.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just really like to eat. I especially like to eat my emotions.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I have always had a large appetite.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    my husband and i tried for almost 7 years to get pregnant. with fertility treatments and 3 failed pregnancies, i gained some weight. i also got pregnant (finally!) and gained enough to put me close to 200 lbs. all the while i was pregnant, i didn't care about my weight b/c i wanted the baby so bad, all i concentrated on was keeping her safe and growing (bedrest was prescribed for a portion of my pregnancy, too, so very little exercise.) after giving birth, i naturally lost about 34 lbs, but i have since lost 26 lbs by hard work and exercise! :smile:
  • monkeyfeetx2
    Options
    After my babies:) It was entirely my fault (not blaming it on the babies)..

I lost all of my baby weight and then some when they were nursing around the clock. Eventually they slowed down, but I kept eating the same amount of calories that I did when they were exclusively breastfeeding. I knew better:)
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The first time, I gained because I was used to eating whatever because I swam four hours a day until college. Stopped swimming, didn't stop eating. Gained 100 pounds in four years. YIKES! This past time, it was a combination of things - pregnancies which triggered hormones that led to MASSIVE weight gain (I was working with a nutritionist and follower her meal plan to a T and gaining 10 pounds a month), those weight gains led to PCOS and insulin resistance and me generally feeling bad and laying around and my attempts at losing weight failing, so I kinda gave up for a while and ate to feel better. Now that I know I have PCOS and I know how to eat for my issue, I am committed to making it happen for me in 2012 :)
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Wow, what inspiring responses. Thanks for replying. I, too, can't wait for a baby someday :)
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hurt my back really bad then got pregnant then ended up at a desk job ( before that I always worked outside and was constantly busy). I ate a lot at my boring job lol need to get back into shape to keep up with my two cute boys!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I had a baby at age 44. My body did NOT bounce back this time. I starved myself trying to get back to my former size and messed up my metabolism.

Now, I'm doing it right. Had to reset my metabolism, teach myself how to eat the proper amounts and control binging. Doing fine. The baby is now 6 years old and the light of my life :love:
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Twinkies, late night sandwiches, beer, Beer munchies, white castle, Burger King double whooper with cheese, stress, stress with a strawberry milkshake, and finishing food even though im full
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I was a fit college student, transitioned to a sedentary desk job but still kept eating the same quantities. Slowly over the years, my weight kept creeping up. Suddenly I found myself at 34 years old and 30 pounds overweight. I have always eaten quite healthy, I rarely eat fast food, I don't binge eat, I never was big into sweets...I just stopped moving as much and ate too big of portions. Now I am just about back down to my college weight and size and I intend to stay here!
  • edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    skipping all meals until dinner and then stuffing my face on fatty foods, and eating chocolate in secret in bed
  • MissGatekeeper
    Options
    Diet/starving myself - Giving up and binge on everything I'd restricted myself from - "diet" reaching goal weight - relaxing too much- "diet" - binge.. And so it goes on, poor poor metabolism, I've just been a classical yo-yo dieter.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    In short, I've just been sliding along eating too many calories and not getting enough exercise on top of it...but here's the long version:

When I met my husband a little over 8 years ago, I weighed around 155 and looked okay, but could stand to lose a few. I briefly lost about 10 pounds following a low carb eating plan, and looked pretty good but really thought I could stand to lose another 10. At any rate, I never lost it. I gained the 10 back followed by another 10. When he proposed just before our 2 year dating anniversary, I weighed 165. During the 6 months between then and the wedding I gained another 5 pounds stress eating. I gained 10 pounds (!!!!!!) during our honeymoon at an all inclusive resort. Then I gained another 9 between the wedding and the time I became pregnant with our daughter. During that pregnancy I bounced up to 235, but after she was born I lost at least some of the baby weight and generally hovered around 205. Then I got pregnant with my son and gained up to 230 during the pregnancy, and lost down to about 215 which is where I've mostly hovered (if you're trying to keep track of timeframe, my daughter is now 4 and my son is 2). A few months ago I quit my high stress, high travel job and we uprooted our family from Texas to Oklahoma. Between the stress - stress is definitely one of my eating triggers - of adjusting to being a temporary stay at home mom and trying to find a job in a difficult market, I managed to put on another 7 pounds. And that brings me to NOW.

Whew! Some recents tests indicated my thyroid is underproducing. I don't have any idea how much that may be contributing to my weight issues, if at all, but my physician wants to have some follow up tests. At any rate, I'm down 2 pounds and have 85 to goal. It took me quite a few years to get here, so I imagine I'll have to be patient while it comes back off!
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    After i had my daughter and went back to my normal self i thought i can still eat and drink what i wanted but truth was my body changed and i did not take the time to understand it, i gained weight slowly but thought nothing of it, i can also say as i got older i changed from going to clubs dancing to hitting the bars with my friends so i think drinking beer and not dancing it off also is what caused my most weight increase from the past 4 years.. but that is all going to change now..
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For me it was a combination of things….

When I was in college I was actually really healthy and in great shape. I was doing my own shopping on a budget and I actually was buying great healthy quick meals (chicken/pork/brown rice/whole grain pasta/tuna…etc.), and I was running daily. I used to play soccer and run cross-country (believe it or not there was a time in my life where running 5mi/day wasn’t abnormal).
    I graduated college, didn’t get a job in my field (surprise surprise), was in a long-term (read comfortable) relationship, moved back in with Mom and Dad, and ended up with a desk/computer job.
    So my lifestyle became way more sedentary. And I work later in the day, so I got in the habit of sleeping in, and then getting home at 8pm and just relaxing on the couch ‘til bedtime.
    Then my relationship sort of ended…just ran its course. I wasn’t very motivated until then to get back into shape. I would eat when I was bored instead of hungry and I also just love food….I’m a ‘foodie’ and lots of food that is great and exciting isn’t so great for the waistline. Also am a beer girl too! =D So that doesn’t help much either. And I have a sweet toothe...candy/cake...all of it really...I had waaay too much sugar in my diet.
    Last year my New Year’s Resolution was to read more, and it’s the first resolution I actually kept and have done really well with, so that got me excited about taking on the fabled “get back into shape” resolution…and I’m planning to stick to it because I’m single, trying to get into grad school, and generally turning over a ‘new leaf’ so to speak. I spent a lot of time thinking about the lifestyle I really want to be living (active, adventurous, healthy) and I wasn’t doing that so I got up off the couch and started (baby steps! =D ) trying to become the woman I see myself as, instead of the woman I was.
  • valwes04
    Options
    I got lazy!
    4 ish years ago, I lost 50 lbs... well, what did i do when I reached my goal weight????... I went to Krystals and celebrated with chili cheese fries, 3 krystals and a lrg dr pepper!!! Hmmm? No wonder I gained 40 of those lbs back!
    I wasn't in it for the 'healthy' back then, just for the skinny.

Cheese is good. Beer is good. Bread is good. Dr pepper is good.... Sitting on your butt is easy = me, being fat!

So, Now, here I am with 32 lbs to lose and doing my best to do it the right way.. eat less, exercise more.
    I want to be at my best by summer.... 32 lbs to be gone in 20 weeks... I need to lose at least 1.6lbs a week.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I gained it while pregnant and never managed to lose it again after (through extended breastfeeding = stupidly big boobs, lack of time, and not focusing on myself, which is of course totally normal after having a baby). I had a caesarean with my first which meant I couldn't do a lot for the first 4 months, and got out of the habit of exercise, then I had bad PND for most of the first year. Then I got pregnant again when he was 17 months, just as I was starting to lose the weight, then my second was born with kidney problems, so I spent the first year in and out of hospital and worrying about him and not thinking about me. Then our house flooded so we were living out of suitcases travelling around for most of the following year. So I didn't start thinking about losing weight until he was 2. Then it just took a bit of time! Am back to normal now.