Whiting Fish Recipes?

Options
I bought a bag o' whiting fish, seeing as how cheap they are. Unfortunately I can't find any good looking healthy recipes (they're either poorly rated or fried!) Any ideas?

Replies

• CaptainSparrow
    Options
    Its a white fish like cod isn't it? Find recipes for cod and use them just substitute the cod for the whiting. Personally would bake it in the oven with a little parsley butter and serve with homemade chips (they can be healthy if cooked right) or boiled potatoes.
  • CaptainSparrow
    Options
    This recipe looks interesting:

Baked Salsa Fish

Ingredients:

2 (175g) fillets white fish such as hake, whiting or pollock
    4 tbsp fresh salsa dip
    15g chunky breadcrumbs
    1 tbsp olive oil

Method:

Preheat the oven to 190ºC/Fan 170ºC/375ºF/gas mark 5.
    Lightly oil a baking tray and place the fish fillets skin or skinned side down.
    Spoon the salsa dip over the fish fillets, then scatter over the breadcrumbs. Drizzle over the oil. Bake in the hot oven for 10-15 mins or until the crumbs are golden and the fish cooked through - it should be opaque in the centre. Serve with new potatoes and green vegetables.
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I prepare a lemon dill rice in rice cooker and steam the fish the last 10 minutes of cooking the rice and serve together.
    Lemon Dill Rice
    1 cup long-grain Jasmine rice
    1 3/4 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    - Grated zest of 1 lemon
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1 teaspoon dried parsley, or 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
    2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
    - Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Only good way to cook whiting is coated & fried.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I got a big bag of them and made a fish pie using skim milk, veg and herbs to make a sauce and with sweet potato and parsnip mash on top, it was just over 300cal a portion if that's any help!
  • NinaLilly
    Options
    My cousin and i love it with lemon pepper, lemon juice and butter (there is a no calorie margarine) and bake. So nummy! Pollock is really good.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I get tilapia pretty frequently--that's like whiting, right? (not sure) I pan fry it with cooking spray and either Cajun or Old Bay seasoning. That was part of today's lunch, in fact!

Tomorrow night for dinner, I'm trying Garlic-Lime Tilapia--hope the family likes it!
    http://eatathomecooks.com/2010/11/garlic-lime-tilapia.html