Afraid to weigh!

Options
Soo at my lowest in the summertime I was 118.... I've definitely slacked a bit, you know, not going to the gym as regularly and drinking far too much beer on the weekends. I feel like I'm probably hovering around 124-125 at this point, but I'm afraid to weigh myself for fear of overwhelming dissapointment. I've been eating right the past few days and busting my *kitten* at the gym. My plan: keep doing this until I FEEL lighter, THEN weigh... Hahah. I dunno. What do you guys think?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    just ignore the scale altogether and use the mirror/measurements/how you feel
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Stepping on the scale just might motivate you to eat healthy most of the time, drink less beer, and be consistent with your exercise.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It really has helped me to try to detach emotionally from the scale and see my weight as a simple reflection of science.......it fluctuates alot and seems to react to every little bite of food and glass of water, as it should.

So when you just see your body as a science experiment, it takes some fear and worry away and for me has made it easier to lose.

Good luck!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    double post
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Don't fear the scale. If you are afraid of it, face it, find out the number and move on. Everyone (overweight or at a healthy weight) gains and loses. Don't beat yourself up. But if you don't face it, you may not be able to stop the upward slide. I know that has been my problem in the past. You don't want to step on the scale and have it read 234. That was my wake up call in January.:ohwell:
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It really has helped me to try to detach emotionally from the scale and see my weight as a simple reflection of science.......it fluctuates alot and seems to react to every little bite of food and glass of water, as it should.

So when you just see your body as a science experiment, it takes some fear and worry away and for me has made it easier to lose.

Good luck!

I really like this! I am going to use it. Thanks :D.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I've been eating right the past few days and busting my *kitten* at the gym. My plan: keep doing this until I FEEL lighter, THEN weigh... Hahah. I dunno. What do you guys think?

What would your reaction be if you DO feel lighter, clothes fit better, you see changes in the mirror and maybe you even like how you look BETTER than you did earlier this summer. But when you step on the scale it shows a number higher than 118?
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options

Good luck!

Thank you! This is very wise!
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I've been eating right the past few days and busting my *kitten* at the gym. My plan: keep doing this until I FEEL lighter, THEN weigh... Hahah. I dunno. What do you guys think?

What would your reaction be if you DO feel lighter, clothes fit better, you see changes in the mirror and maybe you even like how you look BETTER than you did earlier this summer. But when you step on the scale it shows a number higher than 118?

Oh noo. That would be wayyy more discouraging.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Oh noo. That would be wayyy more discouraging.
    Why? If you felt fit, looked good in the mirror, and your clothes fit better than they do now (or maybe even better than when you were 118), then why would it matter if the scale reached a magic number?

Here's an image I think is helpful in illustrating how little the scale can mean when you are already at a healthy weight:
    500671657_A8R1br6U_c.jpg

Copied from this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

Point being, you can look fit and healthy at 124 lbs and you can look skinny fat at 118. I'm not saying that you WERE skinny fat at that weight, but I'm just trying to illustrate that the number on the scale is just a dang number. It doesn't tell anything about how much fat you have on your frame or whether you look good nekkid. :happy:
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    mmm I know, girlfriend. The worst is when you know you're doing well, but it might not be enough to repair past wrongs. You worry the scale will tell you that! I just skip the scale and wait for my body to "feel" lighter after some healthy days. Just don't want to see something that doesn't reflect my current mindset, that's all.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think you should weigh yourself and not feel guilty. what happened ...happened but now create goals etc that will drive you to the finish line!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just get on the scale and face the truth! I do better when I know because that keeps me in check. If I don't weigh myself at least once a month I tend to fall back and get bigger. It keeps me accountable. I also go by measurements and how my clothing fits.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oh trust me.. I understand! I felt the same way you did about 2 weeks ago because I hadn't weighed myself in a few months...in my head I thought I knew approx what I weighed within 5 lbs, well I weighed myself and I was actually 10 lbs over what I had expected....now that I know, its the dose of reality I needed! Also motivation to weigh at least 1x/month, sometimes I really need the reality check.