Customer service at gyms

Options

Replies

• jennifer2977
    Options
    Customer service is important and you should not have been treated that way.

HOWEVER, you really should make an appointment if you want to speak with a membership representative about joining a gym. They have trial plans, etc...and you'll get a much better experience than you get just walking in.

Also, providing a good customer service experience needs to be incentivized by management. You will get excellent service from places that have member reps who work on a commission or at least a bonus system. I gather this place has nothing of that sort...

Apparently not! LOL I had called and my friend (the member) had also inquired for me...They told me to just come in, no appointment needed. Jerks.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing. That is terrible service, I would have raised the roof while I was there, and written to the owner.
    I'm very lucky with my gym. It's privately owned by a husband & wife and there is always someone at the desk/juice bar, and there is usually a trainer in the gym either working out themselves or with a client. Buy they are all very frendly & are quick to spot someone in trouble or who needs help.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear about your experience. my husband and i just sold our gym and i will say customer service was most important to us. i taught aerobics at the gym for 14 years and my husband lifted there for years before we purchased it. we knew everyone that walked through the door by name because 1. we worked out with most of them...2. we worked the desk everyday, got to know new ppl and chatted when they came in...3. we knew if they had a bad experience, they wouldnt return...4. we personal trained tons of ppl for free to show them the way to use the equp and form. the more they knew they more they would return daily....5. our office staff were athletes. we hired ppl that knew personal training and used every piece of equpmt we had. they not only worked our front desk but worked out with everyone also. we had an opportunity to sell the gym last year with this economy, we took the offer. i miss the people but still teach at a few diff gyms in our area so i still workout with a lot of them. my advice would be to check out several other places in your area if not happy at planet fitness. see which place works best for your needs and if you're comfortable with the surroundings, you'll return. i hope you find a place that cares about you and your needs.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Apparently not! LOL I had called and my friend (the member) had also inquired for me...They told me to just come in, no appointment needed. Jerks.

Ha! That's a good indicator that they just don't give a damn. They aren't willing to book an appt with you to make sure you get good service. They dont "need" an appointment system because they arent swamped with potential members aching to get in the door. Pshaw...you were right to move on!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Good move, sounds to me like you'll be a lot happier with Planet Fitness. How's your experience been with them so far. You said you were a member and are now rejoining? I'm a PF member and I love it. I've never had a customer service issue at all. The worst I had was at the new one by our house that just opened a few of the machines were out of order for a couple weeks and a few other machines needed some maintenance that hadn't been done. I sent them an email about it and within two days the machines were fixed and the maintenance on the others had been performed.

I'm at a point in my life, maybe it's related to our recession too, where I refuse to give my hard earned money to any company that makes it clear they don't value those dollars.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    No, you did right for yourself. Even if there had been an attempt to be freindly it's obvious you would not have been comfortable there anyway.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Good move, sounds to me like you'll be a lot happier with Planet Fitness. How's your experience been with them so far. You said you were a member and are now rejoining? I'm a PF member and I love it. I've never had a customer service issue at all. The worst I had was at the new one by our house that just opened a few of the machines were out of order for a couple weeks and a few other machines needed some maintenance that hadn't been done. I sent them an email about it and within two days the machines were fixed and the maintenance on the others had been performed.

I'm at a point in my life, maybe it's related to our recession too, where I refuse to give my hard earned money to any company that makes it clear they don't value those dollars.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I don't just hand out money, I think most of the time it should be earned.

I had a PF membership for a year but wasn't motivated and went maybe 5 times. I cancelled it a few months ago, but something finally clicked and now I'm motivated to make some changes. I went there last night and signed back up and worked out, even made a new friend in the process. Although most of the desk people at PF aren't trainers, there's usually a few that can at least show you how to use the machines and whatnot, and they do offer group training with a real personal trainer. I'm much happier there. Plus at $20 a month, being able to bring someone with you every day, and tanning and red light therapy (although I have never used them), how can you go wrong? It's a good place to start for me at least!
  • Crys1209
    Crys1209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    No you're not wrong. Especially if they made you feel uncomfortable! Obviously you wanted to join to get into better shape and the fact that they made you feel out of place was ridiculous. I would have left too.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Customer service was really important to me when I was deciding on a gym! I tried five gyms before choosing the one I wanted to join, and I can tell you that I felt a lot more inclined to go to the gyms where the managers were friendly and showed me around the facility than the ones who just signed me in and let me have at it. Bottom line is you need to go where you're comfortable because if you aren't you will dread going to the gym and might stop going. I love my gym and the people there, so I am willing to pay a little more to go there than the cheaper places where I felt awkward.
  • margiemommy
    margiemommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i work front desk at fitness concepts in gardner mass and if i ever did anything like that or even close to that i would get fired on the spot ..... my job is to great everyone answer phones ( only the gym phone) and to answer questions and to help customers.. i am not even allowed to have my phone with me at the desk... these people are not doing there jobs and they seem very rude i would never go back there if i were u i would find another gym or health center if u have one neer by and then try to get ur friend to jion u there ....

i can't believe it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:flowerforyou:
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No way! Gyms are for everyone. Some gyms seem to cater towards just lifting weights and power lifting and other towards cardio and others are a community center like the YMCA. They are also a business and a service being offered in exchange for YOUR money, they would not thrive without CUSTOMERS. I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash at a place like that.

Just before I moved away from home to pursue my Masters I had a bad experience at one of the local gyms as well. I paid hundreds of dollars that year for the owner to show up in a little two seater roadster, shrug and "oh well" the list of broken equipment (that had been broken for weeks) and walk away with the money in the cashbox. I had to struggle to get assistance and very few people wanted to answer general fitness or equipment questions (unless, of course, you wanted to pay for them to be your personal trainer). The owner even treated employees terribly, getting them to work LONG hours and snapping at them. He was sarcastic to me on several occasions as well and wouldn't even speak to people who were not affluent in the community, wealthy or in really good shape. The attitude people displayed towards people who were not in peak condition was abhorrent. I had paid my membership in full for a year. I just went, used what I needed to and let it expire. I have NEVER gone back.
  • maaleka
    maaleka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    NO NO AND OOOOO SO MUCH NO!! you are not crazy and I thank you for sharing your feelings about the whole feeling.. They are very lucky it wasn't me standing there because it would have been REALLY ugly.. Your time is something you can not get back once its gone it is gone!! I am so HAPPY you joined a gym... HUGS and much Love !!
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My gym is pretty horrific when it comes to customer service too. I joined online rather than in person, which appears to have been my big mistake. Everything went swimmingly for a while, got a call pretty quickly to book in an induction/personal training session as standard. Various automatic e-mails arrived in my inbox explaining next steps, what I'd need to provide, what I'd receive... the usual.

Rocked up to my induction and got introduced to the PT who would show me around. This is where everything started to go downhill.
    He didn't seem to really grasp why I was there (not sure how that's even possible haha). At no point did he ask me any health questions to see if I was fit to workout, or accomodate any problems I had.
    He had me 'warm up' on the crosstrainer for 5 mins, and then took me over to another section to do some squats and sit ups. At no point did he ask me to stretch, and I stupidly didn't even think to do it... (yes, my own fault in a way, but he's the PT, surely he should have reminded me!). He got me doing some squats that were so low I almost fell over backwards. My legs seized up in between sets, unsurprisingly, and I couldn't carry on... which made me feel like I was really unfit, and I'm not.

After a few more standard exercises, he declared that was it. No cool down, no stretches.
    I had to then ask loads of questions, due to him neglecting to show me round. I don't know if it's just me, but on an induction I'd quite like to be shown where the changing room is, how to use the fancy lockers, where the women's only room is, where the paper towels are etc etc.... it was like getting blood out of a stone.

To top it all off... an e-mail had said I would have a membership card ready for collection. The guy behind the counter was like 'Ohhhh I have done themm right... but I don't have the key to the cupboard because it's Saturday.... come back another day and it'll be waiting'.
    I came back. They said 'I don't have any cards right now... can you come back in the week?'.
    I can only work out evenings and weekends, so I duly came back on a weekday evening... nobody had any means to create new cards. They did me up some sort of temporary card, with my details in marker pen, which is now coming off. I'm bored of asking for a proper one now... not sure why nobody else at that gym seemed to have trouble getting their membership card?!

I kind of feel like I've been treated as a bit of an afterthought, because I didn't join up in person... like I've somehow missed out on a load of information I was meant to get. Why bother offering the option to join online, if you're not willing to sort that customer out with everything they need once they arrive??

Rant over, sorry haha!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    NO NO AND OOOOO SO MUCH NO!! you are not crazy and I thank you for sharing your feelings about the whole feeling.. They are very lucky it wasn't me standing there because it would have been REALLY ugly.. Your time is something you can not get back once its gone it is gone!! I am so HAPPY you joined a gym... HUGS and much Love !!

Thank you!
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a small ladies only gym close to my house, run by two young women with some other women working as instructors. It is tiny, it's in a converted church, so has no swimming pool or anything, but has all the machines you need and has classes every day of the week too.

A few of my friends suggested I join a local chain gym and they would join too. I went and joined, and signed up to a year long contract. I must have gone to the gym about three times in that year. I had an initial assessment with some huge, muscly guy, who literally laughed when I told him my goal was to lose weight. I was told I would have a follow up assessment the next month and this never came. I was given a "personalised"workout which contained hardly any cardio and my workout card was lost and not replaced.

10 months into my year long membership, I gave up and went back to my old gym, thinking I could get away without them asking any questions since it had been so long. Literally as soon as I walked through the door I was greeted with "Becki! Hi, how are you?" I couldn't believe it. They make me feel so good, always asking how I am, referring to me by name and noticing when I lose weight, and it makes me want to keep going there.

I totally understand your decision and I wish I'd done the same with the gym I joined!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    You were right to walk out!

I, for one, am planning to own my own gym one day and customer service is KEY!
    They should be there helping you no matter what.... it is their job FFS!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i would have just walked in and started working out without paying, if they aren't going to greet you and check, use them up until they decide to catch you out for not paying, then tell them their customer service sucks and find a better gym.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    dang i love my gym. even the cleaners are friendly!! the front desk attendants know my locker preference and everything. people are jumping all over to help me there.
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    My husband and I were just talking about this the other night. The lack of customer service we as a society have allowed to be the norm is ridiculous! I don't blame you, I would have walked out as well. We belong to a locally owned gym here in our town, DePaepe's Gym, and they are absolutely fantastic!! I am sorry you found a crappy gym. I would definitely go elsewhere!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    thats why i like the YMCA...so what if its not a 'hard core' gym. the people who work there are friendly and so are the other gym members (for the most part) i've made countless friends there. and everytime i go..even if its alone i always know someone there.