New 20 year old wanting to lose 65lbs.

Hey there everyone! I just joined this site today after a friend told me about all the good things about it. I am currently 215 pounds at 5'9. I have always had weight issues throughout my whole life. Last year I had gotten down to 185 but after getting married I gained and got back up to 215. It took me a little over a year to lose roughly 45 pounds (I was 230 before losing the weight) because I was mainly just eating right and exercising ever so often. Now I do not want it to be forever before I get down to my goal weight of 150. I am hoping to do it in 6-10 months with eating right an exercising. I have back problems (had a herniated disc removed in April 2011 and have degenerative disc disease) and recently sprained my foot D: so exercise right now is limited. Before I sprained my ankle I would do Zumba (on the Wii) and also Just Dance 2. I would also go walking with my husband and I'm hoping to start running soon (although my husband doesn't think that's a good idea. What are ya'lls opinions on overweight people running regarding hurting their joints, bones ect.) Anyways, I'm ranting LOL! One more thing, I hate hate hate counting calories. When I saw that this was a calorie count website I cringed, but I'm willing to try since it looks pretty simple with the tools. But another question I have is, how do you count calories when you are cooking homemade foods? Without it being such a hassle anyway. Is it safe to guess as close as you can? Any who, thanks in advance everyone and feel free to leave any tips or advice. :D

Suzie

Replies

• Honestly, calorie counting is a guessing game! To me, it's not the "calorie" counting that helps. It's the fact that it makes you more knowledgeable on what is going inside your body. The more I count calories, I notice that I read labels more. I turn down food that I can't calorie count... etc. It's not easy but it's the same as learning something new. You just have to get it into a habit.
    Good luck on your journey girl!
  • extremewinner
    extremewinner Posts: 98 Member
    Hey! I just joined too and the calorie counter definitely makes me unwilling but like whaletorail said, its everything else here thats really crucial to losing the weight. By being inactive I think youre ruining your joints, you just take it slow and steady with the running. I was surprised they even had a calorie count for homemade stuff, you can add your own food to the counter but I wouldnt spend time on it. Anyway, good luck and see you around!
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Hey - Welcome in joining another calorie count hater. I definitely hate it but trust me once you do it religiously for 10 days or so you will get used to it. I have just completed 95 days of calorie counting and i find it so easy and fun now.
    I agree on homemade foods calorie issues coz I cook at home all the time. So Yes, you can take a closer guess or if you are using some ingredients which are canned or labelled - add them once and save them as a meal for later use. It might take time once but would help in longer run. I have done that to my pastas where i use packaged alfredo sauces or good items where cheese or milk or any packaged item is used.

Best of luck and you can buzz me whenever you need any support.
  • heyyy! I just joined too. I'm 20 years old and want to lose around 60 pounds as well.
    I'm here to support you. <3
  • MrsWayneWV
    MrsWayneWV Posts: 12 Member
    Hello All! I am 47, post menopausal, and run my own small business. The first time I took a serious stab at losing weight was about 10 years ago when my husband and I followed the Adkins plan. I lost 15 lbs easily. Unfortunately, the salt in a lot of the food we were eating was causing me problems.

I gained that weight back and then some, later. I joined Weight Watchers and paid them for over 5 years. I lost over 40 lbs, but gained it back plus 5 as my metabolism slowed because if menopause. I paid for the online plan for a year and finally shut it completely down in December. I learned a lot about nutrition through WW. It's a good program, but I burned out.

I learned of myfitnesspal through a Twitter friend who had their daily efforts auto-posted. After I looked into it I decided to give it a whirl.

So, two weeks in and I'm down 7lbs. I struggle with arthritis, a hernia, and some other minor health issues. The added weight causes me a lot of problems, so dropping it will make my life a LOT easier. :)
  • nly1972
    nly1972 Posts: 23 Member
    For home made meals you can create recipes. I use the android app and rarely get on the website. There is a recipe option at the top of the app. It lets you put in all your ingredients you are putting into a recipe. Then you can divide it into how ever many servings you want and it tells you the final nutritional info per serving. I often don't know how many servings so I leave it at one and divide it up later with a calculator.
  • circulatory
    circulatory Posts: 15 Member
    I'm not huge on countil calories either, but I've been using the app, and it's so quick and simple. I've started making recipes as well since I've started doing a lot more cooking at home, and it's not so bad either (though so far I find there are usually exising recipes that are quite comparable for calorie count). It's more fun to log my physical activity. I figure loosing weight is just a game of numbers (eat less, move more), and as far as I can tell, this is one of the easiest and most fun places to do it.

We're both at pretty similar stats -- I'm 5"10, started at 216, aiming for 150. Good luck reaching your goals!