Eating Late--really detrimental?

Options

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It can affect how well you sleep but it has absolutely no impact on weight loss.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll eat right up until bedtime if I'm hungry and I have the calories. As others have said, when you eat has no effect on weight loss. The reason you'll see the "never eat after X pm rule" is that many people eat snacks in front of the TV after dinner and those calories are usually above and beyond what they should be eating. For those people who aren't counting calories, not eating snacks after dinner is probably a good idea.
  • cchartzell
    Options
    I eat a light snack EVERY night within an hour of my bedtime and have lost pretty much everything I wanted to lose. A friend of mine (fitness competitor) told me that it's best to eat protein-rich snacks before bed. Carbs will cause a spike and subsequent crash in your blood sugar while you are sleeping and you'll wake up starving.

Your body is still burning energy while you are asleep, so keeping it fueled makes sense.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problems losing weight due to eating at different times. My usual supper time is around 8 to 9 pm, and I often have a cup of hot chocolate or a glass of milk within an hour of going to bed.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I used to always eat as late as 9pm and if I am still hungry later and I have the calories to spare, I will snack on something. The only time I won't eat past 6-7 pm is when I'm doing a biggest loser challenge and need to step on the scale the next morning.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Like most diet and nutrition-related questions, this depends on your particular metabolism & your own body's quirks.

As some people mentioned, some have trouble sleeping on a full stomach or suffer from acid reflux. If that doesn't apply to you, don't worry about it.

How carbohydrate-sensitive are you? One in four women has some level of carbohydrate-sensitivity and needs to be careful about how many carbs she eats in one sitting. Some (like me) actually need to eat a pretty restrictive low-carb diet in order to stay healthy. So IF you are carbohydrate-sensitive, then your body is more likely to end up storing carbs as fat (if you don't use them immediately). In that case, you would want to avoid eating carbs right before a rest period. Eating anything else would be fine: hard-boiled egg, cheese stick, anything with protein. I hate going to bed hungry, it makes it hard for me to sleep, so I generally have a protein shake about half an hour before bedtime and it works great for me.

But if you're not carbohydrate-sensitive, then again, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't eat whatever you want, whenever you want. Again, it just depends on YOUR body and what works for YOU.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    it depends on what you eat, dont eat anything that isnt beneficial such as candy, or drink sodas, the same thing u stay away from now...

if i wake up in the middle of the night and feel like snaking i will, i eat just about every 2 hours to keep my metabolism on fire.
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Im a firm believer that eating carbs after 7 will add some bodyweight. Your body will not process the carbs during the night as it does during the day. Therefore since they have no where to go, they attach to your fat cells, making them bigger.

When I cut, lose bodyfat, I have no carbs (breads, rice, sweet potatoes) after 3pm. If Im adding mass, I will eat carbs up to 7pm.

that is my two cents.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Im a firm believer that eating carbs after 7 will add some bodyweight. Your body will not process the carbs during the night as it does during the day. Therefore since they have no where to go, they attach to your fat cells, making them bigger.

When I cut, lose bodyfat, I have no carbs (breads, rice, sweet potatoes) after 3pm. If Im adding mass, I will eat carbs up to 7pm.

that is my two cents.

They attach to your fat cells huh?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

if i wake up in the middle of the night and feel like snaking i will, i eat just about every 2 hours to keep my metabolism on fire.

meal frequency does nothing to boost metabolism...that is a myth
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Is that a glycosidic linkage? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

that is my two cents.

Don't you know that they have tiny hooks? It's a well known scientific fact
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

that is my two cents.

Don't you know that they have tiny hooks? It's a well known scientific fact

I have a PhD in Broscience and you'd be SHOCKED at how many people don't know this! It's amazing.
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

that is my two cents.

That is what I have read and been told by several trainers. These trainers compete. I have seen the results from their workout and diets. I do believe there is a difference between working out and diet to look good and feel good AND working out and diet for competing. Diets for competition are much more strict and harsh.... As of my late afternoon snack, I will be only at 86g of good carbs for the day. The rest of the evening, my carbs will come from veggies, and low amounts, I might hit 95g for the day.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    What's "Really Late" to a person who is awake until 3 am on most nights? What's "Really Late" to someone who works the night shift?

I call baloney.
  • CharmCityBella
    CharmCityBella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's true. As long as you stay within your limits, then you should be fine.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options

meal frequency does nothing to boost metabolism...that is a myth

well that sux, but the energy i get from my meals i feel helps me in the gym. i do 25 minutes of cardio in the morning and 25 minutes of cardio in the evening and inbetween all that about an hour and a half of weight lifting.
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think it depends if you are eating a heavy meal. If I eat light, non-acidic meals before bed I'm alright. But, if I end up eating out late at night and it's a heavy meal (pastas, sauces, rich or spicy foods, etc) I don't sleep well, feel sluggish and heavy in the morning and it sets a bad tone for the day.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

That is what I have read and been told by several trainers. These trainers compete. I have seen the results from their workout and diets. I do believe there is a difference between working out and diet to look good and feel good AND working out and diet for competing. Diets for competition are much more strict and harsh.... As of my late afternoon snack, I will be only at 86g of good carbs for the day. The rest of the evening, my carbs will come from veggies, and low amounts, I might hit 95g for the day.

Anecdotal evidence from a few guys at your gym does not disprove the vast body of scientific evidence that states otherwise.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Your body metabolizes food at the same rate no matter what time of day it is! Just don't go over your recommended amount and you should be fine!