Sodium Question

zbmb30
zbmb30 Posts: 177 Member
My doctor told me last week that I should watch my sodium intake because it can trigger headaches (something I have a hard time with). We discussed what I usually eat, and he acted like I should be fine in that area, but I want to just log it in my journal. How much salt should an average person take in a day? I would really appreciate some help on this, because I am clueless.

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Unless you have a particular sensitivity to sodium or other medical conditions that can affect it, the US RDA value of 2500mg should be fine. If you exercise and sweat quite a bit, you can go even higher without problems.
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    Your question got me googling this very question. I tend to eat below 1500mg, most days below 1000mg. (I don't have any healthy problem, just find that easier to lose weight when I am on low sodium) I was looking at questionaire here, www.nal.usda.gov/outreach/saltqz.pdf , looks like your body needs 500mg to function. I was begining to worry that I was taking in too little sodium. But there are lots of information that says you shouldn't have more than 2500mg and found some information that says 1500mg as minimum for body to function... I am not sure how much this help...
  • angraham2
    angraham2 Posts: 128
    It can totally trigger headaches among other health issues. I try to keep mine about 2000.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    2500mg is a maximum, but ideally you should be around 1500 mgs, some sodium is needed so don't avoid it completely, just limit it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    500mg is an absolute minimum. I personally wouldn't go below 1500, especially on days I exercise. Also, the more water you drink, the more sodium you need, as too much water without enough sodium can be just as dangerous and deadly as not getting enough water.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    I'm quite sensitive to sodium, suffering both headaches and spiking blood pressure if I get too much. I try to stay below 1500 mg per day, and try to get twice as much potassium as sodium. Potassium and sodium need to be in a certain balance in your body. Plenty of info via Google if you need to know more.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    In this days world though, i don't think going under 1500mg in a day is likely unless you're strictly on a raw food diet and NEVER eat out and NEVER eat anything frozen, from a can, and never eat meat (they even add salt to raw meat http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/22/health/he-nutrition22 ). MFP seems to already track it (but id assume what it tracks even still is highly under reported). I'd reduce it as much as realistic and assume that you are getting more than you need on average. A 6 inch turkey sub from subway would seem pretty innocuous and a decent option coming in at around 300 calories. It also packs nearly 1000mg of salt.... The best thing that can be done is avoid all sauces, (ketchup, hot sauce, BBQ sauce, anything with the word sauce in it) and processed foods (frozen dinners, canned foods, etc).
  • Julesong
    Julesong Posts: 18 Member
    There's so much darn salt in some processed foods (I love soup!) that seeing my recent ratios had me concerned. Just this morning I went looking for info...

And am now wondering about it even more, because there are conflicting reports about sodium.

Have you guys seen these or similar articles?

Low salt intake also linked to heart-disease deaths
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/salt+intake+also+linked+heart+disease+deaths/5751888/story.html

Cutting Back on Salt: How Low Is Too Low?
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/23/cutting-back-on-salt-how-low-is-too-low/

New salt paper causes controversy
    http://www.theheart.org/article/1220043.do

Study: Lower salt intake could be riskier than thought
    http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/diet-nutrition/story/2011/05/Should-you-take-sodium-advice-with-a-grain-of-salt/46765646/1

Cutting back on salt 'does not make you healthier'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2011630/Cutting-salt-dosnt-make-healthier.html#ixzz1RKmpoTA3
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 177 Member
    Thank you everyone! I have never really paid much attention to my sodium intake until my doctor's comment last week. I tried asking my brother (he used to workout and follow a certain diet regimen back in the day) and he didn't know because he has never had to be concerned about it. Everyone's posts are very helpful and I greatly appreciate it!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Yeah, without a specific medical reason to be concerned about, there really is no reason to be concerned about it. Sodium is one of those things that's water soluble, and excess can easily be flushed away, as long as you are properly hydrated. The real danger can come from over hydrating while not getting enough sodium, as that can be very deadly, very quickly.

So, if you want a specific number, I'd have a long conversation with your doctor about it.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    500mg is an absolute minimum. I personally wouldn't go below 1500, especially on days I exercise. Also, the more water you drink, the more sodium you need, as too much water without enough sodium can be just as dangerous and deadly as not getting enough water.

this! ^

I cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to not get enough sodium (500mg minimum as stated in the quoted post). Not enough sodium can cause cells to swell, in effect "drowning" the victim. Electrolytes will go up the wall and the body will shut down.

Then there is the other end of the scale, maximum sodium per day of 2300mg.

There is enough sodium naturally in food, plus that which is added by food factories when packaging grub. I never add salt to food unless it is a sprinkling when boiling potatoes and sometimes a tiny bit on an omelette.