I'm addicted to the scale!

Options
So, yeah... since buying my scale I've gotten on it at least once a day, sometimes like 3-5 times a day. I don't know why, some days it's interesting to see the weight fluctuate, and some days it's really a downer. So last night I put the scale under the sink and told myself that I wouldn't weight myself again 'til next Monday. I don't know if I'll make it though, I've already been thinking about it today. Every time I go to the bathroom I look at the place where it usually sits and think about stepping on it. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Aub_C
    Aub_C Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am that way too!!!! I have gotten better and only weight myself before bed and in the morning. I have found that im almost to lbs lighter in the morning that I am at night. So usually I weight at night to see if I weight what I did that morning. I know if I am then i've lost some weight. Its hard to to not do it when you get excited about losing.
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I gave my scale to my mom. I had no self control.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    me and my boyfriend do it every time we go to the bathroom as well
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad about the scale as well. At least 2 times a day, sometimes 4 or 5. I have to coach myself not to do it some days because I get really discouraged with it from time to time.
  • salesgoddess450
    Options
    Yes I do this as well . I weigh myself in the morning and then again at night and yes I vowed I would not weigh myself until Friday but guess what I did this morning? Oh well keep trying! I get discouraged when the numbers go up even slightly. I am going to wait until Friday now to weigh in. I can do it!
  • mseancoleman
    Options
    Yep. I'm the same. Sometimes I have to be away from home for 2 or 3 days at a time, and I don't miss it at all. But when I am at home I weigh every day. Which is silly because I feel bad if one day it is slightly higher than the day before. If I've been good when I'm away, then the reward is all the better for not seeing the needle inch down, but seeing a clear drop. So maybe it's worth setting a weekly date to weigh for all us scale-addicts...
  • Eve53
    Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I thought about it but I haven't taken the scale out from underneath the sink yet!
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    ive trained myself not to do it anymore, i like the suprise at the end of the week when u finally jump on and see how well you've done, more often than not if you know youve had a good week you find yourself suprised :)
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This sounds like me - especially since I've started mfp just under 3 weeks ago. I weigh myself on a friday morning to record so I'm challenging myself to not get on the scales between now and then...........I might have to get my bf to hide them from me to succeed!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, once I start thinking about using it, I'm on and off it way too much. I've got myself down to three or four times a week and that's the best I'm probably going to be able to do. It's telling me nonsense, anyway. I'm eating more, working out much less, and losing weight faster. Something is screwy. I'll take the weight loss, of course, but do I really trust that it's an accurate measure of health and fitness now? Nope.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I just do it every couple of days now.. keep it under bed and if I wake up early and go to bathroom I might strip off and get on it to see how I'm doing and make sure its not creeping back up too far the other way.

I used to get on it morning and night when I switched my diet just to see what the difference was in the water retention levels and they reduced loads I only go up by 1 lb a day now and about 4lb at monthlies where before it was 3-5lbs per day and 6lbs + at monthlies, it also seems to come off quicker afterwards.

Now I weigh 2 days in a row to make sure I get same readings so wed is one weigh in day so I'll weigh Tues and Wed morning then not again until Sat when Sun is my weigh in day.. if scales show the same loss consistently two days in a row I record it... I do a weigh-in on wii fit once a fortnight and that's showing the same kind of numbers so must be right if getting same numbers on 3 different scales.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I can tell by my clothes!
  • mvail765
    Options
    you should only weigh urself once a week in the monring, do it the same day each week, that is what our weight loss coach has told us,
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I want to hold off and only weigh once a week, but i am so afraid of gaining, and if i see i gained 3 lbs at the end of a week, i would be way more upset than seeing it go up a pound at a time! i have not gained like that, so i really shouldnt be worried, but i think thats why i weigh daily, every morning. hmph. I will try to back off. Maybe i can do every other day!
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I do!!!! I just replaced my battery in my scale and am now addicted and get disappointed when I see it fluctuate. I told myself I would only weigh myself on Monday mornings from here on out though. I'm not sure i can do it though.....
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am that way too!! It's really bad - I have this addiction with having to weigh myself every morning and of course weight fluctuates and I get SO mad. I really think it is counterproductive to my weight loss. I actually made a promise to my friend last night that I would only weigh myself once a week - she said I needed an intervention!! haha

It is because we strive for control - and we feel by weighing ourselves every day (or more than once) we have 'control' over the weight loss. In reality - all we can do is eat healthy, watch our calorie/carb/sugar/sodium intack, beef up on protein, and try to exercise every day. The rest is up to our bodies!!!

I feel you sister - it's crazy how much it can take over your life!!!! :)
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    They say you should not weigh yourself often, maybe only weigh yourself every two weeks or so. But you would think that if you weighed yourself everyday, and saw really no change, you would have more motivation. I know I would think to myself "what the heck, I must not be trying hard enough."
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I had to put the scale under my bed.
  • yag1630
    yag1630 Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm also addicted to the scale, its a good thing it was broken. So I weighed in once a week every saturday after workout in that way I have an overview in a week if I did well or not.
  • SouthernBeauty89
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning at 6:05 after I use the restroom. It keeps me focused on my goal for this summer & I won't slack off that day during my workouts or make bad food choices thinking I'm doing awesome! :smile: I get excited when I see it go down more but in head is Mondays...I know water intake, sodium, sleep, etc all play a role in what the scale says so I do my best each day. :smile: