Alcohol

Options
13»

Replies

• becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    All this advice re vodka is great....but....with me, I only need two shots and then memory loss and feel crap the next day! Um...I'd rather have the kcals, my memory in place and not feel so crap the next day! :noway:
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Oooh ooh! i have a good answer for this. I am signed up for these emails from a guy called Henry the Health Hound. He does all kinds of little tests and tries out products and says which are good and which are scams. He had an email one time all about drinking and your waste line. Here is what he said about it.

"Well, according to research carried in the American Journal
    of Clinical Nutrition, alcohol puts the brakes on fat
    metabolism (your body’s ability to burn fat as energy) in
    more ways than one. In the study, eight people were given
    two vodka drinks separated by 30 minutes.

Fat metabolism was checked both before and after each drink.
    It turns out that even hours after drinking both drinks, fat
    metabolism dropped by an incredible 73%. What is happening?

When you drink alcohol, your liver converts it into a
    substance called acetate. (The acetate levels in the
    subject’s bodies were 2.5 times higher than normal). And it
    is the acetates in your body that make losing blubber almost
    impossible.

Your body prefers burning acetate to all other sources of
    fuel (fat being one of them), and basically shuts down its
    normal process of burning off any other source of energy.

In other research, alcohol has been shown to increase
    appetite. When you combine alcohol with meals, studies have
    shown you tend to eat more. And since the alcohol is going
    to serve as your body’s primary source of fuel, all the
    calories go directly to your waistline.

And finally, alcohol increases your cortisol levels and
    decreases your testosterone levels for about 24 hours after
    you imbibe. And this definitely is not good for trimming
    down or adding muscle!"

Interesting! Hope it helps :)
  • ironsalsa
    Options
    I would like to respond to all the talk about beer being "sugar-y" and "worse than liquor" with just reading the nutrition facts on Guinness and comparing to a similar amount of straight vodka. Here's the Guinness profile:

14.9 oz Guinness Can
    Calories: 155
    Fat: 0g
    Carbs: 12.3g
    Protein: 1.5g
    Volume of pure alcohol: .64 oz

Compare that to a shot of vodka:

1.5 oz vodka (shots are this size, not 1 oz)
    Calories: 97
    Fat: 0g
    Carbs: 0g
    Protein: 0g
    Volume of pure alcohol: .6 oz

As you can see, the Guinness has comparable alcohol, but 58 more calories than the vodka. However, a Guinness takes at least a few minutes (usually more than a few) to drink, where as a shot is gone in seconds. I believe that the Guinness is a more satisfying way to take your booze in on a diet. Now, dropping that Baileys in it and chugging might throw that whole argument off!

I'm really trying to show that you have to look at the numbers yourself for everything and not operate on generalities, because you may find more enjoyable ways to stay healthy and have a good time.

Cheers!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Since I started losing weight, I limit my alcohol intake to 6 beers one day a week (usually Saturday nights). Saturdays are typically my cheat day as well. I will usually log it, but not care what the calorie count is. For the rest of the week, I workout 4-5 times (burning at least 300cals), keep my calories under 1400, and eat pretty cleanly. It's all about moderation and not letting one night of drinking knock you off for the rest of the week.

Imagine where you'd be if you didn't drink 6 beers a week and also have cheat days. Think about it.

Amen! I was thinking the same thing! He has just found a way to make this a lifestyle and not a diet. It isn't my way, but I give him credit for finding a way to make it work for him...

A few pounds lighter, sure, but also miserable. Nice self-righteousness there.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well, everything has already been said. I'm not sure how old you are, but I understand alcohol being a big part of your social time with friends- It was for me too when I was young. That being said, will any of those friends take up a gym membership with you and spend that going out time working out? Walking andt talking around a track? or playing raquetball? The easiest way to have success is to modify what you are doing- you don't need to ditch all of your friends, but maybe you all can help each other.

I was very used to having drinks with my husband almost nightly. Not getting drunk every night, but drinks to unwind and destress. I pretty much quit drinking all together about 8 months ago- except on special occassions- and it has really helped my weight loss...

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you count that alcohol as real calories. They count- and try to watch the nibbling if you're drinking...
  • goodigirl2
    goodigirl2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Vodka with soda water and a lime is terrific. You can order tall which is 1 shot of vodka with ice in a tall pint glass. It's about 100 calories but takes longer to drink than a short one. I always specify a tall single to avoid the mix-up of a tall double. There are also no carbs. When I was younger, I loved rum and diet coke. Liquor with anything that isn't sugary (TONIC WATER IS SUGARY!) is great and low-carb. The nice thing about vodka and soda to me is that you can order just PLAIN soda water with a lime and most bars will serve it in the glass still. Then if people bug you about "you're not drinking" you can say "Yes, it's vodka soda!" and you can get away with not drinking at all (if peer pressure is an issue). If you like a little flavor, you can add a flavored vodka. A great one is Stoli blueberry. That's my trick! :)
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'm a vodka, soda water, twist of lime & splash of fresh POM - or - cranberry juice - so refreshing, especially if you are dancing. I agree with other posters, ask for a tall so it lasts longer.

My favorite vodka atm is 3 Olives Pomegranite flavored, there are a lot of flavored vodkas out there to work with, have fun inventing something fun for yourself

I'm going to try this recipe sometime ^_^ Usually I just mix the cranberry with the vodka but adding the lime and soda water sounds interesting.
  • Zeno84
    Zeno84 Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, these are all fantastic answers. I especially like the idea of a spirit with extra diet coke *and* drinking a glass of water.

Some of you may have gotten the misconception that I'm a crazy party animal--I'm not really that crazy. Like once a week I'll go out and have a few drinks, enough to get drunk (but not *kitten*-faced).

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.:smile:
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I am young too and actually drank pretty frequently but I began noticing (especially last summer) that my tummy grew larger and larger, so i took a break (which didn't last very long) and my tummy came right back). Noticing the changes of my body with and without alcohol even after a few days was pretty major, since for me the one drink of alcohol bloats my tummy. So for the time being I have taken a break from drinking. I haven't had any vodka in about 6-7 weeks now and I feel fine, mainly because I'm focusing on the bigger goal of losing weight and I don't want alcohol to get in my way. The suggestions from the other people though about having something with a little soda or water sounds good, but it was to my knowledge that drinking carbonated drinks with the alcohol makes the absorption of the alcohol and the sugars (even in diet sodas) quicker into the blood and also retaining more of the bad things inside it. So I usually drink it straight because I haven't done more research on it to know for sure.

In the end it's your body and so pretty much just do things in moderation, maybe just go out once a week, or once every other week and have a drink that will last longer or something, just don't grab 500 shots or w.e hehe.
  • UnderConstructionJ
    UnderConstructionJ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's actually a good idea. Thanks!
    When you drink your inhibitions are lowered causing you to eat and drink a lot more than you normally would, which may cause you to retain some water weight.

Question #2--moderation. Decide how many you're going to have and what, log it, then stop when you reach the limit you pre-set for yourself....that or don't go out as much.
  • dcarreno
    Options
    If you need alcohol to have a "good time" with your friends you may want to find new friends. I know there are worse things than alcohol but this one is hard because it turns to sugar which stores as fat. Not to mention dehydration, liver over working, kidneys working harder. It is like anything else """MODERATION""" don't overdo anything in life. Have a good time without drinking, drive for your friends so they can have a "good time". As for me I don't drink when I am training.
  • Michelleanon
    Michelleanon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow! Ive read all the posts and I'm really glad you asked the question so we all got different perspectives. I started my journey last year January and to date have lost 34lbs. I can see it in my pics and in my clothes (as per profile) but I never gave up my wine on the weekend. We have a very sociable life and though we don't drink in the week at all, we make up for it on the weekends :( I can easily drink a bottle of rose and have been known to go onto number 2.
    I workout 5 days a week, 3 of which with a personal trainer doing weights and cardio on other 2 days. I also eat relatively healthy and nothing sweet at all but I do love the savoury.
    I noticed that recently the weight loss has not budged and I look at all the success stories here and see that people who started their mission after me have lost more. Of course, I am frustrated and asked my trainer. His answer was ALCOHOL!!!
    I want to loose another 30lbs by April and he has told me the ONLY way is to cut the wine out COMPLETELY!!! Of course I am not at all impressed by this.
    He has also said that if I really do have to drink on the weekend then either cut the quantity right down or maybe try an alternative like vodka/soda also know as a "skinny bi*ch". All my slim, models friends drink it. I just figured wine was better as it wasnt hard liquor but its full of sugar :(
    So I guess the answer is all there......either cut it out completely, or definitely in careful moderation and choose wisely.
    Oh and luckily for me, I don't get hungry after drinking.....
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I drink (instead of eat) the rest of my calories at night I LOSE weight... This makes it very hard for me not to want to drink my calories! :noway:

This is because alcohol is a diuretic! you are losing water-weight not fat. Not to mention that your body is getting virtually no nutrients from those calories.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    However, a Guinness takes at least a few minutes (usually more than a few) to drink, where as a shot is gone in seconds. I believe that the Guinness is a more satisfying way to take your booze in on a diet.

This is why I prefer beer. I sip it slowly and it takes me a long time. Even if I try to sip a cocktail, it's so sweet and there is so much less liquid, I drink it very quickly.

Usually I have other drinks to stretch out my 2 beers.

1st drink - Seltzer
    2nd - Beer
    3rd - Diet Cola
    4th - Seltzer
    5th - Beer

Then seltzer for the rest of the night.
  • jigglesnwiggles
    jigglesnwiggles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bubble Gum Vodka with Diet Sprite or Pineapple Vodka with Diet Sunkist. I don't know if a gain a few pounds with it but it is really good to drink!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I go out on tuesdays with the girls. SO I get my workout in that morning, and I count everything. And plain for it. I only drink about 6 beers (Bud Select 55) I get alot of **** for it but thats ok.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I had stayed away from Guinness because I thought it must have 300+ calories in it, so I was really happy to find out it didn't! Plus, I hear it has 26 vitamins, so it's good for you! :wink: Most of my weight came from alcohol, so I only drink on rare occasions, and it's only one Guinness or a lite beer. Once I found out how alcohol affects fat burning (and my hips, butt and gut), that was enough to keep me in check. Just wish I'd known all this stuff in my 20s!