GAINING with scrict diet and workouts!!

Options
I don't know why but ive gained like 2 lbs in the last week, and I have been very scrict with my 1200 cal diet and hard workouts. im thinking its probably muscle but I want to know when I should hope to see a drop. I wasnt expecting to see much of a difference(maybe a lb) but NOT a gain... someone please help!

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Not muscle, water retention, either from the sodium in your diet, your period or from exercise. Nothing to fret about.

Also I would recommend eating more if you are only eating 1200 calories and working out hard. At least eat some of your exercise calories.
  • StevieBonezz
    Options
    Look into 'Starvation Mode.' It is when you aren't eating enough calories that your body literally hold on to whatever you eat. Eat more food.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not muscle, water retention, either from the sodium in your diet, your period or from exercise. Nothing to fret about.

Also I would recommend eating more if you are only eating 1200 calories and working out hard. At least eat some of your exercise calories.

Yest 1200 cals is not enough if you workout. Say you burn 400 cals, that would be like eating only 800 cals on non-workout days (1200-400) when 1200 is the min you should get without working out.
  • Savagegirlt
    Options
    I agree with Hottie, you keep on the plan (but maybe a few calories more) and your body with level itself out. I also gain when I first get back on the wagon, also for my monthly friend..... sigh. Just know this, no matter what the scale says, you will be healthier and happier if you keep your diet clean.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You are 5'4" and 194lbs. How in the world did you come up with 1200 calories?
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Not muscle, that takes months to build :) Try to boost your metabolism with some greens. On top of that I am eating healthy I am also taking fish oil+calcium+c vitamin supplements and because I don't eat enough protein I also use protein powder mixed in water.

Avoiding sugar, salt and carbohydrate. I pretty much moderated what I eat. If you are interested check my site: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
  • trennarene
    Options
    I agree with everyone, add some more calories. But also, have you been measuring yourself? Measurements are a sure sign your on the right track when the scale does move, inches lost are amazing!
  • amk1118
    amk1118 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I am also 5' 4" and 182lbs. That is the amount of calories that is suggested by MFP and several other places.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    wth is scrict?
  • TMcBooty
    Options
    I am also 5' 4" and 182lbs. That is the amount of calories that is suggested by MFP and several other places.

if you select 1lb a week??
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am a 6 ft male at 170 lbs, if I tell MFP that I want to lose 2 lbs a week, it will set me at 1,200 calories as well. the point? you are probably set to lose too much based on your current weight.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Try eating more one day w/ rest (1-2 days) and then cut back the next. Our bodies get accustom rather quickly to the same routine. You gotta keep the body guessing.
  • TMcBooty
    Options
    I am a 6 ft male at 170 lbs, if I tell MFP that I want to lose 2 lbs a week, it will set me at 1,200 calories as well. the point? you are probably set to lose too much based on your current weight.

this ^^

which was my point exactly. start with 1lb per week weight loss.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you didn't gain 2lbs of muscle in a week.
    People here have covered most of the likely culprits (without you making your diary public).
    Not eating enough, working out to much, sodium/water retention, not eating enough fiber, etc.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My weight can varry by 5 lbs in the space of a week.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

I think there is some confusion as to what BMR is. This is the minimum amount to stay alive.

The amount to subtracted your deficit from is your TDEE.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options

This. You are eating WAY too little.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Not muscle, that takes months to build :)

Just want to be clear to the whole community here that this is false. Muscle growth can and frequently does occur in as little as 24-hours. Men especially can put on several pounds of muscle in a single month, particularly when we are still new to lifting. For women, 2lbs a month is not an unrealistic goal.
    Avoiding sugar, salt and carbohydrate. I pretty much moderated what I eat. If you are interested check my site: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371

Sugar is a carbohydrate. That's just semantics, I know! :)

Salt, on the other hand, is absolutely needed both for aerobic and anaerobic exertion. We can sweat out upwards of an entire gram or even 2 grams of sodium in a single exercise period. Don't go adding loads of it to all of your foods, but there is nothing wrong with dashing some salt on your food - IF you are also exercising regularly. If you are sedentary, avoid extra salts period.
  • lniedosik
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I have been working out and sticking to the plan for 3 weeks with only a few slip ups. I have been told by several trainers that when you start working out your body holds on to water weight. I highly doubt you are gaining pounds of muscle in such a short time, especially being a woman. I have been told to stick with it and my body will adjust and drop the water weight, and the pounds will begin to drop off after my body adjusts. I understand your frustration. It's hard to eat healthy and work out and have to wait along time to see results WHILE seeing the scale go UP instead of down. It feels hopeless. Try to give it more time!
  • km47
    km47 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hey Guys: I have asked a smiliar question and not had anyone reply----I am eating 1300-1500 cals, working out 3-4 times a week for an hour each session. I am extremely good about logging and drinking my water. I am targeting 100 gms protein and eating really good food but feel bloaty and puffy. I am not losing anywhere close to the amount MFP says I will if I follow the plan even though I am following the plan. What gives? appreciate any input