MFP members Close to My Age & <50 lbs to Lose

Options
Hi...
I'm not discriminating. Just think that those my age will have the same age related problems that they may already have solutions to. I would love to read the successes of those that had great amounts to lose.... to motivate me. Though losing weight at any ages is hard, but I believe it's gotten much harder for me since I turned 50. I can take 10lbs off but seem to plateau oftener, and longer if I try to lose more than that.

Replies

• SuniBC
    SuniBC Posts: 92
    Options
    Hi...
    I'm not discriminating. Just think that those my age will have the same age related problems that they may already have solutions to. I would love to read the successes of those that had great amounts to lose.... to motivate me. Though losing weight at any ages is hard, but I believe it's gotten much harder for me since I turned 50. I can take 10lbs off but seem to plateau oftener, and longer if I try to lose more than that.
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Julie & I am 48 years old TODAY! I have lost 62 pounds and 40 inches since October and will try to help you any way I can.
  • lesliemassage
    Options
    All right Julie!!! I want details. I'm Leslie, I'm 51 and 1/2. I've only been on MFP for a couple weeks now, but I really love it. I'm getting more motivated by the day.

My age related problem is that the mind's willing but the body won't. I'd love to do a 2 hour workout, but in my condition that's just unrealistic. I have to keep telling myself that slow and easy can (and will) win the race. :wink:
  • SuniBC
    Options
    Pleased to meet you both. WTG Julie on that great weight lose!

I too just joined (Mar. 17) and finding lots of motivation in this great site. 2 hr workouts are unrealistic for me also. The weight has caused breathing problems. I have a bad back & foot problems. I have started pole walking 30 min a day and it makes me feel better about myself and hopefully will help with weight loss.

Already I have found tools (posted by others) that will help me -

recipe analyzer - calculates nutritional values of homemade recipes.
    www.sparkpeople.com

calories burned calculator for those household chores we all do and can't find a count for
    http://calorielab.com/burned/

Leslie I hope these tools will help you also. Looks like Julia has already found what works for her.
  • SuniBC
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Julie!
    Have a sunny and happy, bright and beautiful magical kind of day!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Hi ladies! When I began my journey back in October the only real exercise I did was to ride my stationary bike every day and count my calories. I started out riding 5 miles a day and can easily do 15 now. I HAD very bad knees but that is a thing of the past. I even used the bike to earn extra calories for holiday meals and the Super Bowl! If I know I'm gonna splurge, I jump on the bike & earn it.

After Christmas I started using DVD's right in my den. I have done Hip Hop Abs and Turbo Jam and am currently doing The Biggest Loser Cardio Max and Power Sculpt. I work out 5 days a week for an hour. In the beginning, I couldn't keep up but now, two months later, I have no problem. I'm also looking forward to walking but we still have two feet of snow on the ground here in upstate NY.

I also have a five year old and two grandsons and they keep me young:embarassed:

I can honestly say that I feel better than I can ever remember. There is no more pain in my knees or my back, my skin is much softer, no more dark puffy circles under my eyes and I have muscles in places I didn't know I was supposed to! :drinker:

I now drink my coffee black, eat yogurt and enjoy oatmeal and salads. Pizza makes me sick to my stomach-literally-I found out the hard way! I also drink tons of water every day.

Let me know if I can help in any other ways....That's what MFP is all about!

Good Luck Ladies, Julie
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies, I'm 50 this year and have been here since August of 07. And like Julie, I have lost weight thru this site. You can check out my profile to see a before and after picture. The before one is of me and my mom. Julie beats me out on the exercise though. I'm looking forward to walking some more but I have the same problem too much snow. I have about 11 to 12 lbs to go but am battling back from a back injury. So I will essentially be starting over exercisewise. I just wanted to add that starting slow and building up is the way to go and this place has support like you wouldn't believe.

Good luck to you both, I'll see you in the posts. ~Karen
  • SuniBC
    Options
    Hi kjIlose.....
    Pleased to meet you!

I looked at your profile but could only find one pic of you and 6 of cats. Am I looking in the wrong place?
    :grumble: :grumble:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hi Suni! I'm going to be 59 this year and have several health problems. I have degenerative disc disease, which I am in pain constant even with taking pain medication. I have high blood pressure, and diabetes. I started here at MFP , will be 4 weeks come Monday. The first week was the hardest for me, as far as changing my eating pattern. But now I have learned to eat more healthier foods and portions . I don't feel I lack or crave any of my old foods, like cookies and chocolate. At first when I started walking for exercise I could barely make a complete circle around out property. Now I walk 6 times around, I still use my cane and if I want to sit on the porch before making another round I do. We have an acre . My diabetes is much more under control and my medication has been lowered. I have only lost 15 lbs but my cloths are really baggy on me now and my doctor says my skin has a glow to it now. I feel better, more energy , my finger nails use to be brittle and now I can hardly clip them they are so strong. I think you will see for yourself all the good benefits of eating more healthy foods which I learned from the MFPal's on this site. There are amazing people on here that care and I am grateful for them and this site. Everybody's testimony of success inspires me more and more. Welcome to MFP and enjoy your new life .:drinker:
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    HI Sun, I have been on this site since Jan and love it. I also turned 50 in Jan. I can honestly say this site is wonderful for both young and old. I have to admit I have lost over 30 lbs since Nov. and I know people are gonna probably booo me but I have not done any exercise at all. I have degenerate athuritis in my hip and back and am in need of a hip replacement, but this Nov. my husband had triple bypass surgery for the second time and I had to put my operation on hold. I have tried to do Richard Simmons dance exercise but when I do I am up all night in pain. Any thing that you do extra will be a help Im sure. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone..and anytime you need any encouragement or need a friend to talk to we are all just a click of a mouse away...JoAnn
  • SuniBC
    Options
    Hi auntkaren & joann...

Pleased to meet you both!!

If the two of you can lose weight with your health problems, so can I.
    The motivation in this site from people like yourselves is going to help me immensely!!!!

Thank you all!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kjllose
    Options
    Hi SuniBC, sorry about that, I was putting the yellow cat in and must have deleted that one but I stuck one of me from before in. Not as good as the one with my mom but I couldn't find that one. No you weren't in the wrong place. Joann nobody better boo you! I think it's great that you did it without exercise!! I only walked alot. I was just getting into cardio when I hurt my back but I will get back there.Nice to meet you,
  • joann
    Options
    hi kjllose, NIce to meet you too, and thanks....The thing that bothers me is I know if I did exercise my weight would go down faster...
    Right now I am living in Tn after next week I will be going to new york for 6 month living and working in a campground. Both my husband and I have bikes and there are nice roads to ride. Im hoping I can ride my bike and get exercise but not put to much strain on my hip...
    again thanks alot....JoAnn
  • kjllose
    Options
    I wish we had nice roads to bike on. I have torevamp my daughters bike this summer with tires that go on a mountain bike, as we have gravel roads here. Lots of mountains to climb and not too many vehicles on them either. Do you travel alot or do you live in TN and are just visiting NY. I'm in Vermont and it will be quite awhile before we get to bike weather. It snowed here last night and I ran my bus route with chains this morning. This afternoon was so much better, they plowed:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Take care~Karen
  • joann
    Options
    We moved from ny to tn last march. We have a seasonal site at a campground near albany. I work in the campground from april to oct. Our house is in tn and our camper is in ny. My husband is retired but Im still working:mad: I worked at wal-mart in tn..as a cashier..not the best idea for a career change.:laugh: Im sure we will not be biking right away in ny since it is still way to cold but it wont be long....