Paula Deen on the Today Show - what's your opinion?

Options
Anybody else see Paula Deen on the Today Show this morning?

I didn't have particular feelings towards her one way or another, but now I just straight up dislike her. She is basically advocating drugs (and getting compensated by a pharmaceutical company) over lifestyle changes to help type 2 diabetes. It's irresponsible. She has millions of followers who may follow her terrible advice. Plus? She waited three years to tell the public. I wouldn't care if she weren't famous, but she has a public responsibility with that damn cooking show of hers, and she's just exacerbating something that she could be helping.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if unless she forced people to cook and consume everything on her show, she has no responsiblity to her audience. They are responsible for what they purchase, prepare and consume.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like Paula Deen. I did not see the show today but
    I think she may just be uneducated on how important diet and exerise is. Knowledge is power!

I hope she realizes this soon.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I think no one is being forced to eat the type of food she makes. I do NOT think she has a responsibility to anyone to say, do, or reveal anything about herself. If you don't like her or her food, then don't watch her show or buy her cookbooks. Personal responsibility instead of putting it on the shoulders of famous people.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I did not see her today, but I read last week that she would be coming out publicly about diabetes and advocating for a drug company. I guess what I read turned out to be true.

I agree that is is irresponsible and dishonest. I think she should be embarrassed.

What she should have done if her career choice was to share her health issues, was to do that via her shows, and revamp them towards a healthier lifestyle. Show people that cooking the way she was led her down an unhealthy path, and now she has to make changes, and other can make those changes with her through food and diet. AND that people should talk to their doctor about their own specific health issues or concerns.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you buy into her cooking as good for you, then maybe you'll buy into her pharma-connection.

It does remind me of the dentist I had as a kid, though. He would give me a coupon for a free ice cream cone after my appointment. Talk about keeping your clientele dependent!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if unless she forced people to cook and consume everything on her show, she has no responsiblity to her audience. They are responsible for what they purchase, prepare and consume.

Yup. If the American public are such sheep that they will follow health advice from Paula Deen, then they get what they deserve. It never ceases to amaze me how wowed people get by celebrity endorsements. :noway:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The pharmaceutical industry has corrupted just about every American institution.

Everybody and their kids are on some kind of medication.

It's insane!
  • jhunny31
    Options
    I like Paula, I do think she puts too much sugar in her sweets and one time when she ate a donut burger I could have barfed and thought it was the most unhealthiest mess I've ever seen in my life. I will catch up on the show sometime this week.
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    I am not, nor have I ever been, a follower of Paula Deen. Have never even watched one of her shows in its entirety. With that being said, she was on Dr. Oz a while back and they were re-vamping some of her high calorie "comfort" foods like homemade mac & cheese to make it "lighter".
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well. I didn't see the Today Show. And quite honestly? I find Paula Deen to be extremely annoying and the few times I've seen her cooking show? The food looked disgusting.

I feel like too many people rely too heavily on celebrities or other famous people to make decisions for them. As an adult, I'm going to do my research and find out what is best for me. I'm not going to base it on the fact that a celebrity says I should buy this or do this or whatever.

As for her thinking popping a pill is better than a lifestyle change. I think you'll find MANY people will agree with her simply because they don't want to change their life. They want to continue to eat the way they've been eating and are going to turn to a wonder pill to make it all better for them. I don't necessarily think people will pick the pill simply because Paula says to do so, I think they'll pick the pill because it is easier.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the Today show this morning, but I like Paula Deen. Her food is NOT healthy nor does she claim to be. She is a heavy woman from the south. She's not going to make a lifestyle change because that's not her. My family is all from the south and when they asked me how I had lost weight, I told them diet and exercise at the gym every day... Their response "Hell NO!". So rather than tell everyone that diet and exercise is the way to do it, maybe she is letting them know that their are other options. Some people are not going to change their eating habits and that's just he way it is. To each their own...
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm, maybe this is why her son Bobby is trying to play up her recipes and make them more healthy.

No she does not have to be held responsible to her audience, but honesty to her audience would have been nice. How convenient for a public figure to not speak up about a condition that affects millions until you get an endorsement.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The pharmaceutical industry has corrupted just about every American institution.

Everybody and their kids are on some kind of medication.

It's insane!

I am on 0 medications :) I hate the idea of a pill fixing everything...got the hiccups? Heres a pill. Got the pre- pms blues? Heres a pill. Have a serious paper cut? Heres a pill!
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think she sold out.
    she got rich selling people a dangerous diet and lied about it for almost three years. and now instead of using this opportunity to admit that maybe her cooking wasn't the best, she says that the drugs she is endorsing don't require her to change her diet. too much(what pissed me off the most). pretty each what the Fu#k you want just spend more money paying for this drug.

she is a public figure and makes money out of being a public figure and so people listen to her.
    she should have used this opportunity to show that you could still make good tasting southern food without killing yourself. instead she decided to make money and endorse a drug.
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen did not make me overweight. McDonalds did not make me pre-diabetic.
    Those are all choices I made on my own. I don't feel like she lied or cheated me in anyway. I watch her show and swear I am gaining weight. I cook everyday and can honestly say I have never made one of her dishes. But I love her and will continue to watch.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I did not see the show, but I did hear what is going on with her. I personally can't stand her, and think it is a sin that she is pushing for a drug cure instead of a healthy cure.

I am still laughing at when she got in the face with a charity ham.

I really hope that she revamps her show and starts to act with some responsiblity.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I didn't have particular feelings towards her one way or another, but now I just straight up dislike her. She is basically advocating drugs (and getting compensated by a pharmaceutical company) over lifestyle changes to help type 2 diabetes. It's irresponsible. She has millions of followers who may follow her terrible advice. Plus? She waited three years to tell the public. I wouldn't care if she weren't famous, but she has a public responsibility with that damn cooking show of hers, and she's just exacerbating something that she could be helping.

What are your thoughts?

She is neither a doctor, nutritionist, dietitian, or trainer, and I don't know that she ever claimed to be. She's a cook. At least as a pharmaceutical spokesperson her [annoying] drawl will be followed by warnings and disclaimers regarding the drug.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I took a good look at her body and knew right away that I wouldn't want to eat whatever she's cooking.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think she is a fat-sugar-starch pusher, who should atone for her sins. She is harming people by giving everyone the idea that feast foods should be everyday foods. We have enough of that message from greedy corporations who don't care if they throw us under a bus, as long as they get our money.

She should do FREE public service messages, and if she teaches anyone about food, it should be how to make delectable foods that nourish us and sustain our health.

She's made enough money off the fat of the land.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

What are your thoughts?

I feel exactly the way you do in regards to this................

Major win for the FDA, Big Pharma and other areas of the medical community all the while people keep following the ADA guidelines (which are very incorrect).

All Paula Dean needed to do is change her lifestyle to a controlled carb lifestyle, quite smoking and she could actually reverse her Diabetes. She is smarter than that!! I would hope anyway, maybe not.