GAINING with scrict diet and workouts!!

Options

Replies

• jhunny31
    Options
    I dont know, I added more calories by consuming more then usual and I gained 5 pounds. I've also increased my workouts in the last 2 months and still haven't got out of the range I'm in. Its horrible trying to lose weight especially when you're trying really hard.
  • km47
    km47 Posts: 34
    Options
    forgot to say---I am 5'7'' and weigh 238
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just want to be clear to the whole community here that this is false. Muscle growth can and frequently does occur in as little as 24-hours. Men especially can put on several pounds of muscle in a single month, particularly when we are still new to lifting. For women, 2lbs a month is not an unrealistic goal.

And just to be more clear, you can't gain muscle on a caloric deficit. And even with the best workout, when you gain weight to gain muscle, you tend to add a bit of fat as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey Guys: I have asked a smiliar question and not had anyone reply----I am eating 1300-1500 cals, working out 3-4 times a week for an hour each session. I am extremely good about logging and drinking my water. I am targeting 100 gms protein and eating really good food but feel bloaty and puffy. I am not losing anywhere close to the amount MFP says I will if I follow the plan even though I am following the plan. What gives? appreciate any input

Add another 250 calories to your diet. You are still probably under eating. Although the best approach is to figure out your TDEE and back off 20%
  • ammiehill79
    ammiehill79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a good gentle cleanse? Getting rid of all the built up gunk in your body is a great way to lose a few lbs. I did the AdvoCare gentle herbal cleanse and lost 4 lbs in 10 days. My body was then prepped to take on all the good nutrients and supplements I began feeding it. I can answer more questions specfically on AdvoCare if you have them...message me!
  • km47
    km47 Posts: 34
    Options
    what is a TDEE?
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates. It's only 2 lbs. And it's only 1 little week. Calm down!
    Seriously, there are a number of factors that influence our weight. In fact, our weights can fluctuate anywhere from 2-5lbs in one DAY.
    Try eating your exercise calories back. You may not be eating enough.
    It could water weight, drink more water.
    Could be TOM.
    So many factors. Just calm down a little bit. I know it's easy to get frustrated easily with this. I get frustrated all the time!
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm 5'5" and stuck in the 140s eating around 1400cals/day
    Finally took my friends' advice and been eating 1700-1800cals/day...3.5lbs down in 2weeks

Eat more
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree you are NOT EATING ENOUGH! You have to eat to lose..I know its something we have been told for years not to do..but its true.
    If you are working out hard, you need to fuel your body. Add in a couple small snacks each day, like apple and PB or carrots and hummus or a small wrap sandwich.

Also check your sodium...canned soups and diet meals tend to have a lot of that...go for fresh foods and whole grains.

All the best!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't think tall or heavy people should be accusing a petite woman of not eating enough at 1200 calories a day-- we small women don't need as many calories as the rest of you. I've experimented with different calorie amounts and the ONLY way I can lose is if I stick to a strict 1200 calorie diet.

To that end, I have to ask whether you're actually limiting yourself to 1200 calories every or whether you're going "just a little" bit over most of the time. I was frustrated by my lack of progress, until I realized going over by 50-100 calories a day really adds up. The weeks I never go above 1200 are the weeks the scale goes down.
  • shantillylace81
    Options
    Not muscle, that takes months to build :) Try to boost your metabolism with some greens. On top of that I am eating healthy I am also taking fish oil+calcium+c vitamin supplements and because I don't eat enough protein I also use protein powder mixed in water.

Avoiding sugar, salt and carbohydrate. I pretty much moderated what I eat. If you are interested check my site: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371

I am lost food wise and I need a boost to get me out of my plateu. I have been bouncing around the 150's for months now and want to get down to my goal of 135..I will check out your website.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I have been working out and sticking to the plan for 3 weeks with only a few slip ups. I have been told by several trainers that when you start working out your body holds on to water weight. I highly doubt you are gaining pounds of muscle in such a short time, especially being a woman. I have been told to stick with it and my body will adjust and drop the water weight, and the pounds will begin to drop off after my body adjusts. I understand your frustration. It's hard to eat healthy and work out and have to wait along time to see results WHILE seeing the scale go UP instead of down. It feels hopeless. Try to give it more time!

Just about every day I saw you had around 700 calories left over. You have to eat to lose weight :)
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am a 6 ft male at 170 lbs, if I tell MFP that I want to lose 2 lbs a week, it will set me at 1,200 calories as well. the point? you are probably set to lose too much based on your current weight.

this ^^

which was my point exactly. start with 1lb per week weight loss.

The problem here in my opinion is the MFP calculator, not the 2lbs per week loss. It is simply a bad tool. If you want real calculations, you should learn the Katch-McArdle method of calculating weight loss/gain needs and use that.
  • seansquared
    Options

Just want to be clear to the whole community here that this is false. Muscle growth can and frequently does occur in as little as 24-hours. Men especially can put on several pounds of muscle in a single month, particularly when we are still new to lifting. For women, 2lbs a month is not an unrealistic goal.

And just to be more clear, you can't gain muscle on a caloric deficit. And even with the best workout, when you gain weight to gain muscle, you tend to add a bit of fat as well.

Spot on. Good point considering the original context of the thread, too!
  • seansquared
    Options
    I don't think tall or heavy people should be accusing a petite woman of not eating enough at 1200 calories a day-- we small women don't need as many calories as the rest of you. I've experimented with different calorie amounts and the ONLY way I can lose is if I stick to a strict 1200 calorie diet.

To that end, I have to ask whether you're actually limiting yourself to 1200 calories every or whether you're going "just a little" bit over most of the time. I was frustrated by my lack of progress, until I realized going over by 50-100 calories a day really adds up. The weeks I never go above 1200 are the weeks the scale goes down.

Your height has nothing to do with your lean body mass. It may change your *appearance* - i.e. 200lbs looks very different on someone 5'0" than someone 6'6" - but it does not by itself affect your LBM.

If you are 180, you are 180, period, and need to eat against 180 (not "against 180 and also against being 5 feet tall") to lose weight.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The problem here in my opinion is the MFP calculator, not the 2lbs per week loss. It is simply a bad tool. If you want real calculations, you should learn the Katch-McArdle method of calculating weight loss/gain needs and use that.

I am 2 inches shorter than the OP, and according to Katch-McArdle I should be eating only 1078 calories a day for weight loss.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    The caclulators take HEIGHT into the daily calorie allotments. So height must play a factor.
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Keep working on it. Add a few more calories. Also get a fat analysis. It will tell you you're fat percentage. Go by those numbers, not the numbers on the scale. The scale doesn't give you the whole picture. It measures everything, fat, muscle, food, liquid. everything. You want to focus on lowering your fat percentage. Don't be a slave to the scale
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay any attention to a 2 lb gain this week. If you gain 2 more NEXT week, then I'd worry. I can fluctuate by 2lbs in a single day depending on a variety of factors. Make sure you weigh yourself under the SAME conditions every single week.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys: I have asked a smiliar question and not had anyone reply----I am eating 1300-1500 cals, working out 3-4 times a week for an hour each session. I am extremely good about logging and drinking my water. I am targeting 100 gms protein and eating really good food but feel bloaty and puffy. I am not losing anywhere close to the amount MFP says I will if I follow the plan even though I am following the plan. What gives? appreciate any input

you are eating too little.
    i weigh less than you @ 221lbs but i eat more and am losing consistently (23lbs in 13 weeks)
    MFP gives me 2160 to maintain, 1660 to lose 1lb week / 1200 to lose 1.9lb week (it wont give you a goal below 1200 net as this is unhealthy). i usually eat around 1700-1800, net around 1300 after exercise, i do not feel like i am on a diet, im not always hungry, it is a healtlhy lifestyle rather than a 'diet' and therefore is easier to maintain long term.
    i dont know what exercise you do but say you burn 500 each time, you should eat this amount back to ensure your net calories do not fall below your MFP goal.the reason for this is MFP already includes the deficit for your selected goal in your calorie allowance, so exercise will make your deficit too much for your body to cope with and it will hang onto spare fat and you will not lose.

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure
    BMR (mine is 1727) x activity level (1.25 for sedentary) = cals required to maintain your weight (assuming no exercise) 2158
    add exercise cals burned (say 500) = 2658 total cals burned per day
    to lose 1 pound of fat you need to reduce 3500 cals per week / 500 per day. = eat 2158
    to lose 2 pounds reduce by 7000/500 = eat 1658
    you dont eat back exercise cals this way as they are already included in the 'calories out' calculation.
    hope this helps x