Why?

Options

Replies

• mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Would you rather feed the voices in your head or be happy and healthy. Sorry it's that hard. Are you in charge of your life or not
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have gone back and forth on losing weight and I really can't desribe what has finaly got me motivated. I think you just have to want it deep down. Mfp has helped me out so much. Go into the success stories board and read those. That was what I did on my first couple of days here. I just think to myself about how much better I am going to look and feel at this time next year and it keeps me pushing through. Don't go crazy restricting yourself either. If I want chocolate I have a suger free chocolate pudding. If I want pizza I put some tomato sauce and low fat cheese on a pita and bake it. Just try to make what you want healthier. I joined the gym and I drag my butt there no matter what because I'm to cheap to waste $20 a month! Also I highly recommend you invest in a nintendo wii and get the wii fit for it. It is a fun workout and got me through my first month of this journey. Good luck. You can do this.
  • lexibelk
    lexibelk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Make sure you start when you're actually ready. If you're not physically, emotionally, and mentally ready for this challenge, you're probably not going to stick with it.

Try not to be too hard on yourself, and remember the cliche: Rome wasn't built in a day.

Like other have said, do what you can. Something is better than nothing.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You could also try adding flax seed to some meals. I'll add a TBSP to my protein shake or my oatmeal...it's a bulking agent, got lots of fiber, and it will help keep you full. As far as sweets go, try eating more fruits and stuff...for me, I love a perfectly ripe banana. Apples are a great choice too...and again with the fiber.

I know it's hard. I'm struggling with the diet too. Just take it one day at a time. If it's too much to think about all at once, like others are saying, focus on one thing at a time.

My husband likes to walk a mile or so on lunch when it's not bad weather out...he lost a bit of weight that way...just getting up and moving for a bit definitely helps.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    For example, today I got up. I had a fairly healthy breakfast. And it all went downhill from there. I had chocolate, and tinned ravioli...
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to be better...
    Babysteps have always been the key to success for me... Do a little something is better than doing a whole lot of nothing...

1) Give yourself credit for your healthy breakfast and remember that just because the day went down hill doesn't give you permission to give up completely

This was the approach that worked best for me...

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress. (and who doesn't have stress?)
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and I gave myself a range with 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target*** and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.)

***also once my lose 1 lb/week target was down to 1200 calories I switch to lose 1/2 lb/ week (1200 cal rock bottom, 1/2 lb/week as my target, maintain goal weight as the high end of my range.)

Food is not the enemy.
    Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.
  • CharmCityBella
    CharmCityBella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That sounds so simple. But it's just been Christmas. My partner and his daughter have a load of their chocolates still in the cupboard. I thought about just putting them at the top of the cupboard as far away from my reach as possible (as I have to use a toddler step to get to the top shelf) and then our of sheer laziness wouldn't eat them. How do I motivate myself to eat well though? Do you think persevering with the planning would help? I thought about preparing some healthy dishes and keeping them in the freezer so I can just heat them up...? And the exercise is a HUGE point. How do I force myself to get off my bum and exercise? I hate it right now.

Just start with walking. If you don't normally walk every day, this is make a big difference at first. Then ,start adding some more distance and you'll be surprised how it becomes part of your routine and when you don't do it, you'll actually miss it. If you don't want to go alone, find a walking buddy and each of you can make the other go every day. My walking buddy is my dog... if she doesn't want, I don't get a full night's sleep. That's enough motivation for me!

Also, start with just trying to stay within your calories. If you want to eat the chocolate, do it, but know that you're not going to be able to have something else later. Also, make sure you log EVERYTHING, good or bad. I've been doing it and even if I'm over or have a terrible day, I get right back on track, because in addition to tracking your food, you're beginning to train yourself to know what will satisfy you and help you stay within your goals for the day vs what you think will satisfy you at the time and then pushes you over in the long run. Also, drinks tons of water. It will quench your hunger.

Good luck and stick with it. We all do it one day at a time!
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Oh I've so been there.

For me, a few things have worked for the past few weeks.

1. Like others said, have healthy things in the house. It's one thing to say no to something when there is a lower calorie healthy food that will satisfy you sitting next to it. If there are no good foods in the house, hunger will always win out.
    2. Make good habits. Don't say "I'm going to work out for an hour" Say "I'll walk for 10 minutes". Make it managable, then it will build as your self confidence does.
    3. Have a plan. I have the same breakfast every day and I plan how many calories I'm going to allot for snacks and meals. If I find myself at a lunch that's higher, I subtract it from snacks. Keep it simple, but plan.
    4. Eat whole foods as often as possible. My breakfast is 2 eggs scrambled with a cup of diced red, orange and yellow peppers and a whole apple cut up. That's a LOT of food for 300 calories.
    5. Forgive yourself for where you are. Accept it and move forward. You can do this. Your health is worth it!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    What works for me is logging every single thing that I put in my mouth. In my experience, if you do that for three weeks, everything else follows. The tendency is to only do so on "good" days. But when you see in writing what you are eating. You start making slightly better choices. Then you see a small result, then you are on your way.

Also, you have to know yourself. In my case, I just can't be successful when trigger foods are around. I am not that strong. So, I don't eat sweets (period). It takes 3 days to detox from sugar or salt or caffeine or whatever. Those are hard three days. After that, you are done and free of the craving (so long as you don't start up again).

I'm pulling for you.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I lay out a dish and/bowl on the counter and it has healthy stuff in it like nuts, fruit, veggies, peanut butter. That way I see them every time I'm in the kitchen. I check out the counter first and start making my meals and/or snacks there. I hardly ever go into the pantry anymore. That's where we keep my husband's chips and some crackers and canned staples. I also try to keep processed pantry food out of the house, unless it is for my husband. No cookies, chips, little debbie's etc. There used to be pretzels and popcorn as back up snacks, but nowadays I don't even keep those hardly.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Not to sound rude...

But you don't want it bad enough. You arent mentally ready yet.

You are the only person who can decide to suck it up and deal with it and make the changes you want to make. If you decide not to make those changes then you are choosing to stay where you are right now.

Decide what you REALLY want... weigh your options...

Is getting healthy really more important to you then eating junk food and not changing your bad habits? If it is then buckle down and make the changes you need to make. If it isnt then continue what you're doing.

:)
  • curranalice
    curranalice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to stop thinking that you are "giving up" things. What favor did junk food ever do for you? Dump it like a bad date.
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try and get some exercise in the morning like a 30 mt exercise DVD. That keeps me motivated to watch what I eat during the day. Every time I have been tempted to eat something, I feel the aches and how hard it was to burn those "x" calories in the morning and question if it is really worth blowing it by eating a snack which has "2x" calories.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, it's helped me to try to have so much fun with it that I become obsessed.

Instead of eating well and exercise being a chore, a choice or even a "lifestyle change" - try to play a mental game with yourself where it becomes a "hobby" instead.

You'll still falter, but it's easier to stay on track for extended periods that way.

When it's a hobby, you start exploring all sorts of daft corners of health and wellness that you don't really need to know about. The other day I caught myself trying to figure out the whole pathway of a triglyceride from the moment it enters my mouth to the moment it either gets burned for energy or deposited as a fat cell. I was in neck deep - beta oxidation, krebs cycle, enzyme actions, chemical constituents of the metabolic stages, you name it. None of this helps me lose any weight of course. But it makes it fascinating and fun. Play it like a game of numbers that you really really want to get good at. Eating better and exercise naturally follow that.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Don't even decide to start. Just keep track. Just that one thing--be ABSOLUTELY honest with yourself in your food tracking--measure everything, count everything. If you want it, have it, but WRITE IT DOWN. And then start looking at your records. Start seeing how much of what you eat. Brutal honesty with yourself may be the only way to find a start here. Just faithfully record every single thing you eat and drink, study that, and then you may find yourself better able to begin.

Edited to say that I see KAndrews has already said pretty much the same thing. I agree with K!

Good luck!

Kris
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I personally don't cut things out of my diet...I limit my amount. I know I would have failed if I cut out chocolate and wine. I just try and limit. Today, I could not resist M&Ms at lunch so I ate some and I will work out later to balance it. I might even skip a glass of red wine tonight. Last night I knew I needed to have red wine so I ate a light breakfast and skipped an afternoon snack! I just limit and balance the yummies in life and I have already lost 30 pounds!! Completly cutting out what you love and crave makes it so much harder!
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to when you are willing and ready you will make it work. I said I'd lose weight and exercise starting like 2-3 years ago...

When my BP hit 144/101 and I weighed nearly the most I've every weighed... I said it was time. I made it a New Years Revolution and then a friend helped me find this site... from there I just input everything that i eat and drink... then I started just walking 15-30 minutes a day. I've lost 6 pounds so far, just in about 2 1/2 weeks.

It's discipline more than anything else...

I agree with ^ ^. I don't like saying that ..it's just in your mind....but from what it sounds like...it's just your mindset. You are not fully committed. You may say you are, but your actions clearly indicate otherwise. You need to make the commitment to yourself and be ready to make the sacrifices necessary to accomplish what you've set out to do. There will be sacrifices. Here's a basic (maybe silly) examples, but they're to illustrate the difference between truly committed and not. Let's say you're hungry. If you're truly committed to getting something to eat, you don't let anyone or anything get in your way. The uncommitted, would get on the computer and surf or go and chat with some people. Being committed is the mind set that nothing is going to hold you back or distract you. Find it in yourself to change your mindset, make the committment and good luck.
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Keeping a public food log helps keep me honest. The idea that my MFP family cant see what I eat encourages me to make good choices.
    Taking pictures of my dinner. I like coming up with new healthy recipes and showing them off.

I know it may sounds strange but it works for me.
  • kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have had the same struggles along the years. My personal tips for success:

1) Find substitutes for your favorites that are healthier. As an example, when I have a chocolate fix, I will have some "Black and White Drizzled Popcorn" or a Fiber One Brownie. Better caloricly, but I still get my "fix". I do the same thing for my salty snacks as well. My family knows that the one shelf in the pantry is all mine...my substitute foods, and it's hands off so I can have them when I want them. What's interesting is that over the last year, my family has started to really dig "my" foods, and we have naturally all but eliminated most of the junk food in the house without even really trying.

2) Try to incorporate a fruit and/or veggie with every meal.

3) Find movement that you like...whether it be walking, or the gym, or martial arts, or dance...movement burns it. I go through stages. In the summer, I love to walk with my husband. In the winter, I like to go to the gym and jam to my tunes on the eliptical. My base is always Tae Bo or Dance games on the Kinect with my daughter. I try to do a formal workout at least 3 times a week, and incorporate 30 minutes of movement (walking, cleaning, outdoor work) at least 5 days a week. Everything you do that moves you burns calories. Find what you like and find a way to have fun with it. I get bored with my Tae Bo, so I go out and rent or buy a new DVD...then I have variety.

4) Water, Water, Water...this should probably be my #1. I aim for 8-10 glasses a day. Without it, I'm hungry, and my body just doesn't function (and I used to drink 2-3 diet drinks a day). I can't say I've cut the diet soda completely, as I do treat myself if we go out to eat and order one. But I also order a water with it, and make myself drink from each during dinner.

5) For me, it's a day to day progression. Some days I have to really talk myself into making the better choices. Some days, it just happens very easily. But I can tell you that I have an internal dialogue with myself regularly, and psych myself up for the day. And along with that...please also know that there are going to be "those days". Give yourself those days. This should be a lifelong comitment, and we're human. We have days when cake will win over carrots. Learning how to accomodate and adjust for those days is important, but even more important is to acknowledge it yourself, psychologically and cut yourself some slack. Otherwise, one bad choice can spiral into a week of bad choices.

6) Read the forums...specifically the success stories. They are SO motivating! And there are a lot of amazing people on this site, and we all support each other in our journeys!

A few tips that have worked for me...and feel free to friend me if you'd like!
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going slowly. Don't try to change everything all at once. Just change one thing and get used to it.

For me, the first thing I changed was I quit soda. I didn't change anything else. Then I quit sugary drinks altogether and now I just drink water. It was slow going, but once I got that down, I started focusing on things I eat. Not everything, but I did start logging everything. It's easier to make better choices when you see how bad everything you had been eating is for you. Then start working in exercise.

If you try to change your lifestyle all at once, it will be overwhelming and making one mistake will lead to another and then you will just quit. I know, I had done it a bunch of times before.

So...take it slow, but keep trying.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Make sure you start when you're actually ready. If you're not physically, emotionally, and mentally ready for this challenge, you're probably not going to stick with it.

Yes! I so agree with this...THIS is the key...