Paula Deen on the Today Show - what's your opinion?

Options

Replies

• erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I wish she was my mamma!:heart:
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I loved her then and I love her now. No one just likes Paula Deen for her cooking. We all had to change our way of cooking and we have no one to blame but us on the way we cook or cooked.

I am also type II and I think its great she is trying to do this without medicine. I mean thats why we eat healthy so if you are on meds to be able to get off of them, that is just one of the perks of the new healthy way of life. And I am speaking from exp. I was on so many shots and pills and now just reduced to 1 pill at dinner and I am almost off of that.

Not all type II has to be controled with medicine, it can be controled with a proper diet. When I cut my simple carbs my A1C went from 13.8 to 6.8.
  • gdaykatie
    Options
    I loved her then and I love her now. No one just likes Paula Deen for her cooking. We all had to change our way of cooking and we have no one to blame but us on the way we cook or cooked.

I am also type II and I think its great she is trying to do this without medicine. I mean thats why we eat healthy so if you are on meds to be able to get off of them, that is just one of the perks of the new healthy way of life. And I am speaking from exp. I was on so many shots and pills and now just reduced to 1 pill at dinner and I am almost off of that.

Not all type II has to be controled with medicine, it can be controled with a proper diet. When I cut my simple carbs my A1C went from 13.8 to 6.8.

She's doing the exact opposite of what you just said.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I took a good look at her body and knew right away that I wouldn't want to eat whatever she's cooking.

^^This^^

My brother is a professional chef. He make wonderful dishes ...... but everthing he makes is high fat. Why use skim milk when whole milk is available .... or better yet, cream? Wouldn't a half cup of butter taste better (richer) than 1/4 cup of butter? My brother is a big guy, and I worry about my nephew (down the road).

I'm not surprised Paula Deen has health issues. If she started using nothing but "healthy recipes" in her show, I'm sure her ratings would take a hit. Some people just don't want to hear it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    She has millions of followers who may follow her terrible advice. Plus? She waited three years to tell the public. I wouldn't care if she weren't famous, but she has a public responsibility with that damn cooking show of hers, and she's just exacerbating something that she could be helping.

What are your thoughts?

It is not Paula Deen's responsibility to anyone. She is responsible for making horrible food-choices for herself, responsible for eating those horrible food choices, and putting herself in her own medical situation.

The people who watch Paula Deen - they are responsible for theirselves. They are responsible for the choices they make, and whether or not they act out on the choices that are bad for them.

Paula does not owe anyone anything other than to herself, and a smack of reality that she is a detriment only to herself. If she chooses to continue to eat herself silly of the wrong types of foods, that is her choice... and a choice that will ultimately be the end of her.

We need to stop blaming celebrities, television shows, and such for our weight problems. People NEED to be held accountable for theirselves - that means blaming THEIRSELF for making bad choices and going through with them.

I have no sympathy for people who make the wrong decisions for theirselves. They want to be self-destructive, they can do so on their own without me.... Its toxic and counterproductive and I have enough on my plate to make sure I make the right choices for myself...

Paula Deen is nothing...lets hope she has the ability to learn her lesson once hell freezes over and she suffers something as a result of her choices... thats something that only she can hit rock bottom and realize she needs to do better for herself...
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I Love Paula, shes pretty, shes funny, shes a great cook, her family seems to adore her, and there is no shock with the foods she was making on her show that if she wasnt diabetic to begin with that she soon would be, who could work in that environment making those unhealthy yet I am sure very delicious recipes and not sample them , I couldnt. I do not feel she has any obligation or responsiblity to tell anyone , any personal info about herself nor should she change her shows content. Her foods are special occasion foods or potluck treats, anyone who doesnt realize you cant eat that way every day has been living under a rock. I think its up to her if she wishes to change her shows content to a more healthy cooking show, it would be of benefit to herself and her viewers to watch her adapt and triumph over diabetes but it isnt required. Her cooking show is what it is and its great, shes great! I am overweight and diabetic and responsible for myself not anyone else. I have never once made any recipe off her tv show and yet I have watched it and wishes she was a long lost aunt who would show up with a goodie basket at my door lol.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    OH comeon Y'all!!!!!!!!!!
  • Chrissy25
    Options
    I didn't see her today but I just love Paula! I think shes great!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I've never watched her show, but I highly doubt she ever gave diet advice.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    She does not advocate healthy foods and never has. I dont watch her. She has nothing of interest for me.
  • brandysilvers
    brandysilvers Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First of all I did not see Paula Dean’s appearance on the Today Show but I did read that she was going to endorse a drug company. Personally I think that none of you are giving the viewers enough credit. Most people are not stupid. We all know that what Paula Dean is cooking is not by any stretch of the imagination “health food” nor at any point in any of her shows have ever heard her say that it is. I love to watch her show I DVR it to watch while I run on the treadmill. I don’t think any less of her for cooking food that isn’t healthy that is her choice. My choice is not to cook it for myself or my family. Just like it is her choice to support a drug to treat type 2 diabetes instead of a life style change. Most people are smart and know that they can make a lifestyle change to treat this disease. It is their choice not to. Not Paula Dean’s.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I think no one is being forced to eat the type of food she makes. I do NOT think she has a responsibility to anyone to say, do, or reveal anything about herself. If you don't like her or her food, then don't watch her show or buy her cookbooks. Personal responsibility instead of putting it on the shoulders of famous people.

THIS!!!
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Paula Dean is responsible truly to only herself; however, her refusal to admit that her lifestyle caused this generally preventable disease is highly disappointing. Maybe I expect to much of celebrities, but the fact is that people listen to them. We may not, because we know better, but many do. Hence why using celebrities in commercials is always a surefire strategy to sell a product. It's marketing, and unfortunately, most of what we consume is marketing in one way or another. I would hope that something as serious as health should move beyond this into a realm of honesty - something that might actually benefit people consuming her - recipes, books, products, etc. The shame is that there's a good chance that people who cook like her may also suffer from similar conditions, or on their way to developing conditions. I'm torn about the issue of responsibility. I think, rather, that is comes down to honest to herself, which then translates and extends to others. I'm disappointed that such a good opportunity for education has been wasted.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I took a good look at her body and knew right away that I wouldn't want to eat whatever she's cooking.
    Exactly this.

Besides... leave it to someone from the Food Network to pimp out her life-threatening disease for a TV show. She is the most over-exposed person I know, outside of maybe those K-people. Ugh.
  • mochamofitandhealthy
    Options
    I didn't see her on the Today Show, but I did read an article about her diabetes diagnosis. I think Paula Deen is trying to protect her brand. I've never been a Paula Deen fan, but I respect her right to choose her own approach in handling this issue.

I believe it would've been more socially responsible to reveal the diagnosis earlier and use her celebrity status as a platform to promote healthier choices. But it doesn't appear that's her priority.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I did not see her today, but I read last week that she would be coming out publicly about diabetes and advocating for a drug company. I guess what I read turned out to be true.

I agree that is is irresponsible and dishonest. I think she should be embarrassed.

What she should have done if her career choice was to share her health issues, was to do that via her shows, and revamp them towards a healthier lifestyle. Show people that cooking the way she was led her down an unhealthy path, and now she has to make changes, and other can make those changes with her through food and diet. AND that people should talk to their doctor about their own specific health issues or concerns.
    totally agree
  • gdaykatie
    Options
    Paula Dean is responsible truly to only herself; however, her refusal to admit that her lifestyle caused this generally preventable disease is highly disappointing. Maybe I expect to much of celebrities, but the fact is that people listen to them. We may not, because we know better, but many do. Hence why using celebrities in commercials is always a surefire strategy to sell a product. It's marketing, and unfortunately, most of what we consume is marketing in one way or another. I would hope that something as serious as health should move beyond this into a realm of honesty - something that might actually benefit people consuming her - recipes, books, products, etc. The shame is that there's a good chance that people who cook like her may also suffer from similar conditions, or on their way to developing conditions. I'm torn about the issue of responsibility. I think, rather, that is comes down to honest to herself, which then translates and extends to others. I'm disappointed that such a good opportunity for education has been wasted.

I couldn't have said it better.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I think she is a fat-sugar-starch pusher, who should atone for her sins. She is harming people by giving everyone the idea that feast foods should be everyday foods. We have enough of that message from greedy corporations who don't care if they throw us under a bus, as long as they get our money.

She should do FREE public service messages, and if she teaches anyone about food, it should be how to make delectable foods that nourish us and sustain our health.

She's made enough money off the fat of the land.

How abut people stop expecting the rest of the world to change for us.She has a right to cook and eat how ever she freaking wants. She never claimed her crap was healthy,and if people choose to eat it every day that is their choice and their responsibilty not hers.People are harming themselves with their own laziness, I cant remeber the last time she forced her Fat sugar or starch on anyone. I havent heard stories about her sitting on peoples chests forcing food into their mouths?
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    HER MEDICAL ISSUES ARE JUST THAT..HERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She doesnt need to report to any of us what her medical charts look like..Just becasue she is a celebrity she should still have the same respect that we give each other..PRIVACY !!!!!!!!

It is her issue weither or not she wants to take prescriptions to handle her issues..at her age she can do or NOT do what ever the heck she wants. ..She is a big girl she knows right from wrong just as we all do......DID you or would you like it is someone said OH DONT EAT THAT YOU TO HEAVY or YOU KNOW THATS BAD FOR YOU RIGHT??? It takes our own inner self to make the proper changes that we need to.

You see....this is whats wrong with people today...always pointing the finger at someone else..Im sure there are changes WE ALL NEED TO MAKE within !!!!!!!!!!! Sorry rant over........and YEA like Paula I LOVE BUTTER !!!!!!!!!

well i hate to say this but she is the one who went on a national TV station to talk about her health issues in front of millions of people. If I am not wrong that is the opposite of PRIVACY. if she wanted to have her privacy she should have shut up. but instead she is pedaling a Drug. I think that allows us to make comments about both.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

How abut people stop expecting the rest of the world to change for us.She has a right to cook and eat how ever she freaking wants. She never claimed her crap was healthy,and if people choose to eat it every day that is their choice and their responsibilty not hers.People are harming themselves with their own laziness, I cant remeber the last time she forced her Fat sugar or starch on anyone. I havent heard stories about her sitting on peoples chests forcing food into their mouths?

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: