Protein shakes

Options
mcsolis
mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
I recently started using Jillian Michaels whey protein powder to help me recover after my workouts in the morning while my son is sleeping. I want to start mixing the powder with fruit or peanut butter to make it more appetizing and less chalky. My blender isn't the quietest so my question is this. Can you make protein shakes at night and refrigerate them so they can be ready when i'm done working out??? Please help.

Replies

• UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Jilian's protien powder so not sure about it, but i tend to not like my smoothies if i make them in advance - it probably depends a lot on whether you are adding the fruit - i would think that would end up becoming watery, discolored and even slimy....are you blending with ice?

i often just drink my protien powder shakes without blending, just shaken up with some milk. I'm lazy that way. Or you could do a bar instead if you wanted...just to get the protien.

I also bought one of the plastic bottles with the little beater inside so you just shake it up with the mix in it...might be able to add the peanut butter too, yogurt, etc.......but you won't be able to add fruit and ice, etc...Then you could still do it in the morning :-) Just a thought....
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Do you have an outlet outside? How about a basement? I know this sounds silly, but I workout while my 3 kids nap. I then make my post-workout smoothies either in my basement or outside. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy (using a blender outside, when I have a perfectly fine kitchen), but at least I can get my protein shake and not wake up my kids! :laugh:
  • kilojoule
    Options
    i mix mine with coffee for the early workout - as long as the powder goes in first it mixes up well with a spoon. Also get a blender bottle to go ninja in the mornings. good luck
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I drink my own little shake in the morning for breakfast, and it includes fruit. I usually blend it the night before and refridgerate in the blender jug thing, then in the morning right before I'm ready to drink it I pop it on the low setting on the blender just until it's mixed up again. That way the juice that seperates out just gets mixed back in and it's all good! Just a note, though, this won't work if you're adding psyllium fiber to your shake, too, as the fiber sucks up all the moisture and your shake it turns to jelly overnight!
  • mcsolis
    Options
    I've never tried Jilian's protien powder so not sure about it, but i tend to not like my smoothies if i make them in advance - it probably depends a lot on whether you are adding the fruit - i would think that would end up becoming watery, discolored and even slimy....are you blending with ice?

i often just drink my protien powder shakes without blending, just shaken up with some milk. I'm lazy that way. Or you could do a bar instead if you wanted...just to get the protien.

I also bought one of the plastic bottles with the little beater inside so you just shake it up with the mix in it...might be able to add the peanut butter too, yogurt, etc.......but you won't be able to add fruit and ice, etc...Then you could still do it in the morning :-) Just a thought....
    Even by itself no ice and i blend it with water and i might give the shaker a try thx
  • mcsolis
    Options
    Do you have an outlet outside? How about a basement? I know this sounds silly, but I workout while my 3 kids nap. I then make my post-workout smoothies either in my basement or outside. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy (using a blender outside, when I have a perfectly fine kitchen), but at least I can get my protein shake and not wake up my kids! :laugh:
    Its funny that you ask i actually thought about stepping outside on the balcony with the blender lol nice to know im not the only one who has thought of this
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I recently started using Jillian Michaels whey protein powder to help me recover after my workouts in the morning while my son is sleeping. I want to start mixing the powder with fruit or peanut butter to make it more appetizing and less chalky. My blender isn't the quietest so my question is this. Can you make protein shakes at night and refrigerate them so they can be ready when i'm done working out??? Please help.

I have made smoothies out of them and freeze them for my next workouts. It's like eating ice cream :tongue:
  • jlorenzo31
    jlorenzo31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I made a protein shake at night to avoid having to make one in the morning when I'm rushing off to work. Never again will I do that. Don't really know how to describe it, but the shake was really flat.
  • AMIS456
    AMIS456 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to make big batches of shakes with protien powder, milk, yogurt, and fruit then I divide it into servings and freeze. You can put the shake on the counter to thaw before you start working out and it should be softened when you are done. :)
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I also make them the night before, and I think they are fine the next day. If you started out with ice in there though, they're probably more runny in the am from the melting. But overall, it works for me.

Also love the blender bottle with the shakey thing.....I bought them at GNC and love them.
  • shellholman
    Options
    I make my protein shakes ahead every day in the morning and don't drink it until late afternoon, and they taste great. I use one of those shakers with the metal "whisk" ball inside (I got mine at Sprout's). Once I get to work, I put it in the refrigerator, and just re-shake it prior to drinking. I also make them ahead for my teenage boys and add a scoop of peanut butter, a cup of regular oatmeal (uncooked), milk, and the protein powder. It's called a "no-bake cookie shake". They LOVE it!! The new shakers work great to mix up the peanut butter and everything.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Maybe also try a different powder. I use Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey and that stuff mixes without the need for a blender or even a shaker cup with the ball. I just have a plain old tupperware water bottle I shake it in. It mixes well and doesn't clump in either milk or water and it definitely doesn't taste or have a chalky consistency to it.

To your original question, you could try refrigerating it however, if you're already having that much of a problem with it mixing that you have to use a blender, my concern would be it would all settle overnight and have to be remixed when you're ready to drink it anyway.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like to make big batches of shakes with protien powder, milk, yogurt, and fruit then I divide it into servings and freeze. You can put the shake on the counter to thaw before you start working out and it should be softened when you are done. :)

that's a great idea.....thanks. I don't have the "child sleeping" problem, but more the "can't get up early enough to make it before work" problem. So this would work........
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    After a long run I like to put a scoop of vanilla flavored whey protein powder in eight ounces of orange juice. I stir it with a fork wait a minute or two and stir it again. It blends just fine for me. YMMV.

I don't like mine in the blender. There's too much air in it.
  • mcsolis
    Options
    thanks everyone for all of this info you guys are great
  • TAC2413
    TAC2413 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try some greek yogurt post workout and see if that doesn't do the same thing that the protein shakes were doing for you. No blender required. :)