How vital is it to track the sugar!

Options
Well, I have been logging in for last 30 days. I have not been tracking my sugar intake. I read an article somewhere mentioning that sugar is very critical when you trying to lose weight, so I added it to my deit profile. I am SCHOKED at what I have been eating. My recommended level is 30, and on most of the days I was eaten around 60 to 90. Oh my God!!

Is sugar really a deal breaker?

Replies

• EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yes it is....carbs/sugar are what drive your insulin which causes fat....check out http://www.dietdoctor.com/

Hope this helps!!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Tracking your sugar is VERY important. (sugar = fat = diabetes and more.) Although in today's world of over-processed foods and everything being "low-fat," almost everything has added sugar. (hint: when they take out fat, they add in sugar to make it taste good...which just turns to fat anyway. choose "regular" over low-fat: win.)

I follow a very low-carb, no-added sugar diet and even I find it difficult to keep my sugar at 30g. (fruits are a killer... but they are a better choice than a candy bar, for sure.) But it's possible. Just keep it in check, choose whole, unprocessed foods, and you'll be better off in general. Good luck!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    No it is not that important. Sugar does not make a difference as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

Calories and hitting macros (protein/fat/carbs) is what is important. Anything else is stressing too much :]
  • elysia81
    Options
    Totally vital. Sugar is linked to weight gain and will also increase hunger with sugar "crashes", although having too much sugar from fresh fruit isn't always an issue (although you should try to have twice the amount of vegetables that you have fruit).

Review your diary and see where your sugars are coming from, there is alot in bottled juices (try changing to less sugar fruit juice or to green tea - apple juice is particularly sugary). If you are adding sugars to foods try to supplement for honeys or fruit.

Some sneaky names for sugar as they will appear on labels: date sugar, dextran,dextrose,diatase,diastatic malt,ethyl maltol,fructose,fruit juice concentrate,glucose,glucose solids,golden sugar,golden syrup,grape sugar,high-fructose corn syrup,
    invert sugar,lactose,malt syrup,maltodextrin,maltose,mannitol,molasses,raw sugar,refiner's syrup,sorbitol,sorghum syrup,sucrose,turbinado sugar.

It's a problem for me too as it is so addictive but Good luck!!
  • trlyblssd79
    trlyblssd79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes much of a difference if the sugar is pretty much only coming from fruits. Right?
    Options
    Tracking your sugar is VERY important. (sugar = fat = diabetes and more.) Although in today's world of over-processed foods and everything being "low-fat," almost everything has added sugar. (hint: when they take out fat, they add in sugar to make it taste good...which just turns to fat anyway. choose "regular" over low-fat: win.)

I follow a very low-carb, no-added sugar diet and even I find it difficult to keep my sugar at 30g. (fruits are a killer... but they are a better choice than a candy bar, for sure.) But it's possible. Just keep it in check, choose whole, unprocessed foods, and you'll be better off in general. Good luck!

Sugar only turns to fat if you eat OVER maintenance calories.

As long as you have a tooth brush then it makes no difference.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    ^^ What sunshine said. I do not track my sugars, and I have lost 15 lbs to date. That is also with eating carbs (the white ones too). I stay in a calorie deficit, watch portion sizes, and exercise.
  • KickingDarkness
    Options
    I'm always over on sugar too but it all comes from fruit. I think it depends on the type of sugar your putting into your body but I'm by no means an expert on that.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    It's important to keep in mind sugar while you track your calories and try to lose weight, but take MFP's recomendations with a grain of salt. I had an apple today, which logs as 14g sugar. Just with that apple, I'm already half-way to my limit on sugar. Anyone can see how crazy that is, especially considering how good fruit is for you!

Long story short, watch your sugar and don't eat unnecessary sugary foods, but don't fret if you are eating right but still going over your sugar amount.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No it is not that important. Sugar does not make a difference as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

Calories and hitting macros (protein/fat/carbs) is what is important. Anything else is stressing too much :]

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would say 30g is way to low & in my opinion all of MFPs macros are off. Customize your macro goals to suit you better, that said & down sugar creates insulin spikes. To bring your blood sugar back down it will look to store this sugar as soon as possible, unless you have just worked out intensely(glycogen refuel) it will be stored as fat!

Russ.

PS from your id photo Pepper does rock.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

But wouldn't you agree that the macros set on here are far too high in carbs, and too low in protein overall? If someone at their recommended amount of carbs - and it was all sugar - that wouldn't be too healthy? Yes, I agree with you 100% that having a calorie deficit is important. (calories in, calories out...) BUT to be energetic, healthy, and be at less risk of something like diabetes... we should all keep better track of what is going into our bodies? And not to mention, sugar is pretty much empty calories?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I don't track things that don't actually affect my weightloss efforts and might make me sad - like sugar and sodium. LOL It depends on your goals and what is important to you personally. I do track fiber and calcium just to make sure I get enough. For me personally, I know I am making improvements over my 'before MFP' lifestyle and I know I have no medical conditions that mean I need to worry over every little thing, so I don't track it. I will become completely obsessive compulsive about this if I try to track every single little thing, so I prioritize.
  • aurie024
    aurie024 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where the sugar is coming from. Is it coming from an apple or a candy bar? If it's from the apple I wouldn't stress but if it's from candy and soda and white starch, then it might be a problem....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

^ This

Unless your are a diabetic or pre-diabetic there is not need to track your sugar level, the MFP # is quite low too as it pertains to added sugar yet shows total sugar. You would be better off tracking something else if you don't have any issues that require you to eat low sugar totals.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I am sure that it is important to track sugar is you have blood sugar issues. That being said, I never, ever tracked sugar both times I went through my weight losses after my two pregnancies and was successful in spite of it. I did however track fiber and sodium, but if I went over on those I didn't beat myself up.

I am a firm believer that it's all calories consumed versus what you burn no matter what time of day you eat or how you get those calories. I try to eat a healthy, balanced diet to maintain my overall health, but I personally don't think it matters for weight loss.
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar. I love sweets. I love to bake. And I have lost 50lbs.

SOOOOOO I don't worry about it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

But wouldn't you agree that the macros set on here are far too high in carbs, and too low in protein overall? If someone at their recommended amount of carbs - and it was all sugar - that wouldn't be too healthy? Yes, I agree with you 100% that having a calorie deficit is important. (calories in, calories out...) BUT to be energetic, healthy, and be at less risk of something like diabetes... we should all keep better track of what is going into our bodies? And not to mention, sugar is pretty much empty calories?

No, the ratios are set for a balanced diet, but there is no harm in lower carbs, and to maintain lean muscle while in a caloric deficit you may want to go lower on carbs and higher on protein. But if you are a distance runner then the carbs may be too low on MFP (55%) most training diets for marathons range from 55-70% carbs as they are the easiest source of energy for your body to use.
    Options

It depends on a persons goals. They are within reason. It is a good place for people to start. Then slowly change their macros to fit their lifestyle. Someone who is used to eat 300g of carbs or more a day might give up much easier if they are thrown into perfect macros. I eased into mine to find where I was comfortable. Now I can lose weight eating 2,000 calories a day and get plenty of carbs.

Also sugar alone does not cause diabetes. The only thing that sugar does for a FACT is cause cavities.

It depends on sources you are right. Not all sugar is empty calories. Thing of fruit. yogurt, milk. All natural sources full of good things. But giving up all white sugars and feeling deprived sets many up for failure. So having a little here and there isn't going to hurt. If you are eating a variety of fruits and veggies then you should be getting a good amount of your micros anyway.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits your macros, eat as much sugar as you see fit.