Lower leg and foot pain

Options
Hello, all! I have a question for those of you who know what you're doing. ;-)

I am doing the Wii Active workout and really enjoying it. However, I'm noticing sometimes that I have a lot of pain (I mean a LOT) in my lower legs, especially the insides of my lower legs. My feet are also cramping up. I can relieve that foot pain sometimes by either rolling up to the balls of my feet or by shifting my weight to the outside of my feet. Neither is idea. I'm wearing New Balance 710s and have tried putting gel insoles with extra arch support in them. (That didn't help at all.)

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    You may just be unused to the exercise and your muscles are failing during the workout. Unlikely to be a fracture since your pain is bilateral. Also, do you have any history of heart disease or diabetes? These can produce intermittent claudication. If it persists, I'd consult your doctor.
  • Haley_Diane
    Haley_Diane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. The first few days I was fine, when I borrowed my daughter's newer Adidas. Wondering if I should switch brands?

No, I have no history of either heart disease or diabetes. Is what I am experiencing what is called a shin splint? It's painful, but I am absolutely determined to push through the pain, unless that is going to cause damage.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hello, all! I have a question for those of you who know what you're doing. ;-)

I am doing the Wii Active workout and really enjoying it. However, I'm noticing sometimes that I have a lot of pain (I mean a LOT) in my lower legs, especially the insides of my lower legs. My feet are also cramping up. I can relieve that foot pain sometimes by either rolling up to the balls of my feet or by shifting my weight to the outside of my feet. Neither is idea. I'm wearing New Balance 710s and have tried putting gel insoles with extra arch support in them. (That didn't help at all.)

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance!
    If memory serves me right the NB 710 are walking shoes. Do you stretch after working out. Also, if you're griping your toes that will cause pain. Just a suggestion but if you are planning on getting new shoes I would go to a shoe store that specializes in running and workout shoes. Get some help and if you find a comfortable pair note the brand and # of the shoe. Sometimes you can get them cheaper on the internet. Runners World has a web sight that is very helpful and if the shoes are wrong for you they can be returned.:smile:
  • Haley_Diane
    Haley_Diane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been working out in the same shoes that I worked out in and did not have pain...but now I have the same pain. I think I'll take out the exercises that really tax my lower legs (jumping, etc) and see if concentrating on not overdoing that area helps. Normal walking doesn't hurt, but jogging does. Argh! I just want to get healthy!!
  • cheri23
    cheri23 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem for awhile also. Thankfully I have a personal trainer in the family to fix these things for me lol. My issue was being caused by my quads and hamstrings being too tight. Try stretching those out. Also, if you have a rolling pin, roll it along the inside of your calf. It helps massage out the kinks. Make sure you are drinking enough water also.