New 20 year old wanting to lose 65lbs.

Options
Hey there everyone! I just joined this site today after a friend told me about all the good things about it. I am currently 215 pounds at 5'9. I have always had weight issues throughout my whole life. Last year I had gotten down to 185 but after getting married I gained and got back up to 215. It took me a little over a year to lose roughly 45 pounds (I was 230 before losing the weight) because I was mainly just eating right and exercising ever so often. Now I do not want it to be forever before I get down to my goal weight of 150. I am hoping to do it in 6-10 months with eating right an exercising. I have back problems (had a herniated disc removed in April 2011 and have degenerative disc disease) and recently sprained my foot D: so exercise right now is limited. Before I sprained my ankle I would do Zumba (on the Wii) and also Just Dance 2. I would also go walking with my husband and I'm hoping to start running soon (although my husband doesn't think that's a good idea. What are ya'lls opinions on overweight people running regarding hurting their joints, bones ect.) Anyways, I'm ranting LOL! One more thing, I hate hate hate counting calories. When I saw that this was a calorie count website I cringed, but I'm willing to try since it looks pretty simple with the tools. But another question I have is, how do you count calories when you are cooking homemade foods? Without it being such a hassle anyway. Is it safe to guess as close as you can? Any who, thanks in advance everyone and feel free to leave any tips or advice. :D

Suzie

Replies

• whaletorail
    Options
    Honestly, calorie counting is a guessing game! To me, it's not the "calorie" counting that helps. It's the fact that it makes you more knowledgeable on what is going inside your body. The more I count calories, I notice that I read labels more. I turn down food that I can't calorie count... etc. It's not easy but it's the same as learning something new. You just have to get it into a habit.
    Good luck on your journey girl!
  • extremewinner
    extremewinner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just joined too and the calorie counter definitely makes me unwilling but like whaletorail said, its everything else here thats really crucial to losing the weight. By being inactive I think youre ruining your joints, you just take it slow and steady with the running. I was surprised they even had a calorie count for homemade stuff, you can add your own food to the counter but I wouldnt spend time on it. Anyway, good luck and see you around!
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey - Welcome in joining another calorie count hater. I definitely hate it but trust me once you do it religiously for 10 days or so you will get used to it. I have just completed 95 days of calorie counting and i find it so easy and fun now.
    I agree on homemade foods calorie issues coz I cook at home all the time. So Yes, you can take a closer guess or if you are using some ingredients which are canned or labelled - add them once and save them as a meal for later use. It might take time once but would help in longer run. I have done that to my pastas where i use packaged alfredo sauces or good items where cheese or milk or any packaged item is used.

Best of luck and you can buzz me whenever you need any support.
  • CuttingtheTies
    Options
    heyyy! I just joined too. I'm 20 years old and want to lose around 60 pounds as well.
    I'm here to support you. <3
  • MrsWayneWV
    MrsWayneWV Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I am 47, post menopausal, and run my own small business. The first time I took a serious stab at losing weight was about 10 years ago when my husband and I followed the Adkins plan. I lost 15 lbs easily. Unfortunately, the salt in a lot of the food we were eating was causing me problems.

I gained that weight back and then some, later. I joined Weight Watchers and paid them for over 5 years. I lost over 40 lbs, but gained it back plus 5 as my metabolism slowed because if menopause. I paid for the online plan for a year and finally shut it completely down in December. I learned a lot about nutrition through WW. It's a good program, but I burned out.

I learned of myfitnesspal through a Twitter friend who had their daily efforts auto-posted. After I looked into it I decided to give it a whirl.

So, two weeks in and I'm down 7lbs. I struggle with arthritis, a hernia, and some other minor health issues. The added weight causes me a lot of problems, so dropping it will make my life a LOT easier. :)
  • nly1972
    nly1972 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For home made meals you can create recipes. I use the android app and rarely get on the website. There is a recipe option at the top of the app. It lets you put in all your ingredients you are putting into a recipe. Then you can divide it into how ever many servings you want and it tells you the final nutritional info per serving. I often don't know how many servings so I leave it at one and divide it up later with a calculator.
  • circulatory
    circulatory Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not huge on countil calories either, but I've been using the app, and it's so quick and simple. I've started making recipes as well since I've started doing a lot more cooking at home, and it's not so bad either (though so far I find there are usually exising recipes that are quite comparable for calorie count). It's more fun to log my physical activity. I figure loosing weight is just a game of numbers (eat less, move more), and as far as I can tell, this is one of the easiest and most fun places to do it.

We're both at pretty similar stats -- I'm 5"10, started at 216, aiming for 150. Good luck reaching your goals!