How vital is it to track the sugar!

Options
2»

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is sugar = carbs and I'm already tracking that. So don't worry about the sugar. My mom is a diabetic and she only has to track her carbs, not sugar.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I will say though if your dieting whole foods with slower digesting carbohydrates will probably make you feel more satisfied.
  • osorio1
    osorio1 Posts: 63
    Options
    Hello.. Ok i have a question.. i am new to this MFP but i have been working out 7 days a week 1 hour a day and eating 1200 cals and i cant seem to lose weight??? I actually gained 2.6 lbs... What am i doing wrong?? Any advice would be good. Also what does the net calories mean as well??? Thanks
  • LANIECE1
    LANIECE1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would like to track my sugar, how can I add it to my profile. Thanks
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    No it is not that important. Sugar does not make a difference as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

Calories and hitting macros (protein/fat/carbs) is what is important. Anything else is stressing too much :]

This is good advice. I've never tracked my sugar.
  • elysia81
    Options
    I think it also depends on the person. If you are overweight and not exercising daily then tracking your sugar is extremely important. If you exercise and burn sugars in the day then it's less of a concern if you are in your calorie limits.

A common mistake for many people is to reduce their calories by adding meal replacements or "low fat" products and they are not healthy or sustainable. Basic rule is if you can see where it came from it's fine, if you can't (e/g/ overly processed) you need to review it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes it is....carbs/sugar are what drive your insulin which causes fat....check out http://www.dietdoctor.com/

Hope this helps!!

incorrect, a caloric surplus causes you to get fat, and carbs/sugar may contribute to that surplus. And that link is a bunch of low carb silliness, links praising both Lustig and Taubes, lol lol lol
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    No it is not that important. Sugar does not make a difference as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

Calories and hitting macros (protein/fat/carbs) is what is important. Anything else is stressing too much :]

This. Calories in calories out.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Hello.. Ok i have a question.. i am new to this MFP but i have been working out 7 days a week 1 hour a day and eating 1200 cals and i cant seem to lose weight??? I actually gained 2.6 lbs... What am i doing wrong?? Any advice would be good. Also what does the net calories mean as well??? Thanks

You're not eating enough. You need to eat back the calories you've earned from exercising.

Edit: You should probably start a new thread for your question :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think it also depends on the person. If you are overweight and not exercising daily then tracking your sugar is extremely important. If you exercise and burn sugars in the day then it's less of a concern if you are in your calorie limits.

A common mistake for many people is to reduce their calories by adding meal replacements or "low fat" products and they are not healthy or sustainable. Basic rule is if you can see where it came from it's fine, if you can't (e/g/ overly processed) you need to review it.

Nope still not important then. Only important if you have a medical reason to track it or do not have a toothbrush. Eating 5g of sugar vs 50 still wont matter in that situation as long as their calories are equal.

I agree that meal replacements and low fat products aren't the best option for health, but that doesn't have much to do with this ^^
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say gorge on candy bars.... but it's not going to hurt your weight loss to go over sugar.
  • osorio1
    osorio1 Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks Carrieogg... will do... still new and getting used to this! thanks again!
  • PepperRocks
    Options
    Thank you guys. After reading all the comments, I have stopped tracking sugar (on MFP, mentally I still like to be aware). I am tracking my saturated fats and calcium instead. Calcium specially since I have never been a big fan of milk, and as I get older its all the more important to eat right amount of calcium. Thanks again! I was going paranoid looking at the amount f sugar that was going in :D