Itchy face?

Options
I notice that my face will start to itch (not like crazy, but a noticeable amount) when I start sweating during my workouts. It's usually the beginning 15 minutes or so when it's most noticeable. Does anyone else have this issue? I don't know why it does it.

Replies

• thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Are you usually wearing makeup? It could be starting to run. Washing your face beforehand might help.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have itchiness in my legs, crook of my elbows and bra line as I cool down. Hummm, never in my face the first part of the work out though, sorry I'm not a big help. :happy:
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I actually do have this. It only happens during Cardio - I wonder if that's because you're prone to sweating quicker, and pores open up (like they say, most athletes don't have acne, as the dirt comes out with sweat) and i've found my acne's improved like 90% since I was a teenage as I started to workout more often.

I find I don't get an itchy face persay during weight workouts, yet I do sweat then too - I don't know what it is - but my nose or chin gets itchy a few minutes into running, and no - I don't wear make-up when I workout. So I am curious to hear what others say as well. Lol.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Hi!

This happens to me when ever I enter a building that has forced air with vents that are overhead. And yes when I work out this gets worse as the dust then sticks to my sweat coverd face. Not sure if this is the reason for you but it sure as heck annoys the crap out of me!
  • AprilEC
    AprilEC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It does happen to me too. More so when I have make up on, but I figured its because of make up, just the sweat coming out in general and the fact that my face is heating up all of a sudden! and a good amount of heating up depending how hard I push. Again, when I dont wear make up during a workout, it tends not to really itch at all.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever wear makeup - and never at the gym, so I know that's not the case with me. Someone mentioned it happens more often during cardio, and I think that applies to me too. It always seems to be during zumba or step aerobics. And unfortunately, the room at the gym where those 2 classes are held has no freaking vents (which makes it so hot during the summer!); however, it does have fans in each corner of the room. Maybe it is possible dirt being pushed from the pores faster.
  • jabberwockgee
    jabberwockgee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It happens to me, too, but usually on my back or my forearms. Like you, it's only when I've just started exercising.
  • april522
    Options
    I actually went to a dermatologist this past Monday for another issue, and I mentioned this to her. She didn't seem to be too concerned about it or have an explanation. Oh well . . . it wasn't as bad yesterday morning during aerobics.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Itching during cardio is typically due to your blood vessels dilating to allow for more blood flow. Some people itch in their legs. Others their whole bodies. You- apparently your face. No worries. :)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Could be makeup. Also, are you using the towels the gym provides? You could be allergic to their detergent or fabric softener.
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It could be the rise in body temperature, could be the salt in the sweat or it could be the nerves around the expanding capillaries in the face sending back false messages to the brain telling it that your face is itchy.
  • april522
    Options
    Jenna, I don't wear makeup, and I always bring my own towel.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I get this too! My hairline/forehead/brow areas get really itchy, usually nearing the middle to end of my workouts. It's so frustrating! It doesn't happen every time, but more often than not. I don't wear any kind of makeup either.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Do you have any allergies? For me, I sometimes get itchy reactions to the histamines in my sweat, which, if bad enough, will give me hives--the itchiness goes away if I splash with water.
  • april522
    Options
    I do take 2 allergy medicines year around, but it usually affects me with sneezing, itchy eyes, etc. It could be allergies. I just remembered the dermatologist suggested taking an antihistamine (like Zyrtec) beforehand to see if it helps.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I take Zyrtec, and if my skin's really itchy I add a Zantac as well. The Zantac is actually an internal histamine blocker, so when taken in combo with Zyrtec that really helps quell the skin itchies. Good luck!
  • april522
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Mel!
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I do, but then again I have eczema. It's winter time so u might just have dry skin that gets irritated by the salt in it sweat. Try moisturizing after u shower (don't wait more than 3-5 mins) I like cetaphil SPF 50 UVA/UVB facial moisturizer. Good luck