Paula Deen on the Today Show - what's your opinion?

Options

Replies

• TeresaWash
    Options
    Old school... southern cook.
    She's not forcing you to eat her food.
    Uff-da!
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think she is a fat-sugar-starch pusher, who should atone for her sins. She is harming people by giving everyone the idea that feast foods should be everyday foods. We have enough of that message from greedy corporations who don't care if they throw us under a bus, as long as they get our money.

She should do FREE public service messages, and if she teaches anyone about food, it should be how to make delectable foods that nourish us and sustain our health.

She's made enough money off the fat of the land.

How abut people stop expecting the rest of the world to change for us.She has a right to cook and eat how ever she freaking wants. She never claimed her crap was healthy,and if people choose to eat it every day that is their choice and their responsibilty not hers.People are harming themselves with their own laziness, I cant remeber the last time she forced her Fat sugar or starch on anyone. I havent heard stories about her sitting on peoples chests forcing food into their mouths?

I'm a mostly whole-food vegan, who has mostly gotten the fat-sugar-refined-flour monster off her back. But, that said, we need to start promoting health in this country, or anyone under the age of 40 is going to be working to support the baby boomer demographic (which I belong to), when they start falling apart.

I was refering to the majority of the population,she has no "sins" to atone for. People can make up their own minds if she choses to cook the way she does and eat it thats her choice her right,if others choose to watch her,buy her products and eat the way she does it is also their choice their life. We live in a society of celebertiy worship its not the celebertiys fault its the fault of the person to weak minded to think for themselves

I am not talking about taking away 1st amendment rights to free speech, but I am talking about trying to shape up a society that is on a collective binge. I was using the term 'sin' in a figurative sense, but I can see that you didn't read it that way. It may be a generational thing, but Paula Deen being of my generation, looks like she's whoring for dollars, and doesn't care one whit about anyone. She doesn't even eat her own..ahem...creations. But fine, let everyone think that Paula Deen cooking is the norm. And let everyone need coronary bypass surgery. We are all subject to societal norms, and it takes a strong person to break free.

^^^^^^
    This
    I agree that in the end we all make our own decisions. but human beings are communal creatures and are influenced by what is around them. that is the VERY Essence of being on MFP. we need communal support to help us make better decision even though we are educated about what is good and what is bad. and those who have a soap box should be called out when some of what they do can lead others astray.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Who thinks Paula's cooking is the norm? I don't Perhaps people from the south?
  • Momma2fourunder5
    Momma2fourunder5 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the today show, but I have 2 things to say about her - She enjoys life and is one heck of a good cook!! Oh, and I would never use the majority of recipes on a daily basis b/c I definitely can't afford the calories for that much butter...however my holidays ALWAYS have 2 or 3 of her yummy recipes involved:)
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if unless she forced people to cook and consume everything on her show, she has no responsiblity to her audience. They are responsible for what they purchase, prepare and consume.

I agree wholeheartedly. I am sick and tired of people blaming celebs for them not reveling every single aspect of their lives. A celebs job is to ENTERTAIN, not tell you what to do. I think that her show will change, and it should to reflect the new way that she will have to cook. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to make and\or eat the food she cooks. I can guaruntee you that half of the chefs on those cooking shows don't eat most of what they cook.

AND, if you chose to watch an episode of hers instead of just judging her based on what you hear you will hear her say on almost every other episode that what she cooks isn't for everyday. It's for holidays, or a rare treat day.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    She cooks fat. Use her recipes sparingly.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if unless she forced people to cook and consume everything on her show, she has no responsiblity to her audience. They are responsible for what they purchase, prepare and consume.

I agree 100%,
    At 100lbs or more or heavier I'd see what she would make (Butter, Sugar, Creams ect...) and know that would not be good for my big bottom line. Maybe once in a while if I had extra calories to waste& I was at a party or simply want to utilize my moderation as she calls it. Then that is my business. If she wishes to back a pharm company I am (almost) sure she is on some type of insulin for her type2 so be it. It would be nice if she'd show the world that her receipes can be "dialed" for a healthier verson.

Although I believe her son is doing a show like that.... Hmmmm setting her son up for the spotlight with that kind of cooking while she continues hers....really smart. She may cook it and take a bite for her show but it doesn't mean she is eating the whole thing.

I do give her credit - She was a single parent raising two little boys on her own. If cooking paid for it, It's on who ever bought it.

Moderation baby!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    She does her own thing being a spokesperson for a company doesn't mean crap if it is meds your gonna get it will be from your Dr and he well prescribe the meds he wants you to take not something just because Paula Dean or another says its what they take I hope you have more faith in yourself than in others
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Paula doesn't have a public responsibility to her audience. This is America. Paula Deen loves to cook and make money. Period. She's fat, out of shape, and she's unapologetic because that's the life she chose and she's proud of it.

Drugs are bad, though :-)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Who thinks Paula's cooking is the norm? I don't Perhaps people from the south?

I never cooked exactly as she does, but yes, I was lured into thinking that cooking fattening things from scratch was better than buying twinkies. And yes, being fat from birth, I never developed an accurate idea of how normal people ate. I even used organic vegan ingredients, thinking this was somehow better, but guess what? It wasn't, and it isn't for a lot of people. I think all these icons to 'perfect' homemaker ideals could use their influence in good ways, rather than making people feel they are missing out somehow by eating for health.
  • livingaloha
    Options
    I did not see the show yet. But really her medical issues are not anyone's business. As far as misleading people, I would hope anyone who has ever watched her show or read one of her recipes would be intelligent enough to know that her recipes are not healthy. Although I do not care for her personally, I dont think she can be held accountable for what someone else decides to put in their mouth. As far as her doing a free public service announcement, I think she has made one-unintentionaly. Eat like her and ignore the risk to your health and you will end up with health issues! I recently found out that I am prediabetic and am working hard to reverse that diagnosis by changing my diet, tracking my food and exercise, and working to lose weight. How sad for anyone who does not listen and take action when their bodies are trying to warn them of problems, and potential risks to health. I guess I too, did that for a time, or I wouldnt be as heavy as I am, but after hearing the word "prediabetes" I have pulled my head out of the sand, and work everyday to make better lifestyle choices. I may have not lost alot of weight yet, but I am a stronger person everyday. That is something that can never be found in a pill!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I adore Paula Deen,I think alot of people are jealous of her. She is a self made gazillionaire, a fantastic cook, healthy or not and she will be rich and famous weather we eat her food or not.Her health is her business,she doesn't have to tell anything she doesn't want to, anymore than any of us. If I become diabetic, I won't blame her, I am overweight, I don't blame her, that's all on me. Moderation,did anyone notice that she said those words today, she cooks all these fabulous things, but eats in moderation. I have a bad heart, if the Heart Assoc. wants to pay me to be a spokesperson, you bet I will, they won't, but it sure would be nice. Oh, and if you are diabetic, those drugs will probably save your life.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

How abut people stop expecting the rest of the world to change for us.She has a right to cook and eat how ever she freaking wants. She never claimed her crap was healthy,and if people choose to eat it every day that is their choice and their responsibilty not hers.People are harming themselves with their own laziness, I cant remeber the last time she forced her Fat sugar or starch on anyone. I havent heard stories about her sitting on peoples chests forcing food into their mouths?

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

LOVE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

I don't have a problem with her eating or doing whatever she wants with her own life, but when you are in the public eye and have your face plaster on everything from lip balm to pots and pans don't you have some responsibility for what you push onto a national platform?? It seems really strange to me to hear comments where she shouldn't be held somewhat accountable for pushing these bad food choices. Its easy to sit on the other side of our weightloss success and say the sheep should know better, no one made them watch those show's and no one forced the food down there throats. But isn't that what got us into the mess we found ourselves in, fast food commercials, ads, T.V. shows focusing on high carb food and sugar loaded treats, etc... The temptations that was and still are around every corner. I am smart enough now to realize what is good for me and what is not but 3 years ago That Double Chocolate German cake she baked would not have last the weekend because I didn't have the willpower or knowledge to stop myself from making bad choices and when someone is on T.V. advocating that it is the bomb then yes those sheep are going to agree. There is a big difference when someone is doing this to themselves behind closed doors or is in the public eye..... As far as her Diabetes, I am a type 2 Diabetic and I to believe everyone should be checked and educated. I do think that a total lifestyle change is needed when you are diagnosed because it was the bad food choices that cause my obesity which caused my diagnosis.
  • aleatha5
    aleatha5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I am on 0 medications :) I hate the idea of a pill fixing everything...got the hiccups? Heres a pill. Got the pre- pms blues? Heres a pill. Have a serious paper cut? Heres a pill!

HAHA, love this! I couldn't agree more! I have two kids and I used NO medications to give birth, and when I tell people this they look at me like I'm crazy...but I think "wow, you would rather be PARALYZED and medicated then undergo a day of discomfort?" Big pharma has changed the playing field so completely that people think they should never experience any discomfort. So, no, I'm not taking any advice from Paula (never had, but this reinforces that position!)
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Honestly I am annoyed by her. She has been type 2 diabetic for 3 years !!! All she needs to do is lose weight and she will no longer be "diabetic". I am type 1- there is no cure for me. If I weigh 98 lbs or 398 lbs I will always have diabetes. For those who do not NEED to have it- It pisses me off ! She does not realize how lucky she is to have an option. She is being irresponsible.
    I used to LOVE her- I will no longer watch her shows. She is killing herself and her husband.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would disagree. Nearly everything Paula Deen makes is loaded with butter, heavy cream and/or sugar. She's very overweight. While the food may be tasty, someone would have to be mentally challenged to think that is healthy. Plus, she has never said she or her cooking is healthy. She's a southern cooking "guru", not a fitness guru.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have never liked Paula Deen. I cannot stand her accent and I'm from the south. Actually, if you see some of her VERY old stuff, her accent wasn't nearly as heavy. Even before I dropped meat, dairy, and eggs from my diet, I cringed when I saw her cooking. Way too high in fat. I cannot stand deep fried foods. Yuck.

Like someone else mentioned, Paula Deen has never been the picture of healthy living - she is a picture of high sugar, high fat, high calorie foods like she cooks. If you eat her cooking, you shouldn't be shocked when you develop diabetes.

Because obesity, hypertension, and diabetes are such terrible problems in this country, I do think that TV chefs and TV networks do have a responsibility to either give healthy diet information or their shows should come with a warning label...just like cigarette packages do.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Funny. Giata cooks for taste and not health. But because she's skinny, no one questions her. Like the size of the person cooking has anything to do with anything.
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Paula!!!do I find her recipes yummy and sinful looking~yes, Do I eat her meals everyday~no, Jus because she's on tv doesn't mean she has to be perfect, she's human like all of us...do we make the best choices in our everyday lives, of course not and especially our eating habits otherwise we wouldn't be on this site! lol And if you noticed some of the quotes in the article she makes it aware she is being compensated from the pharmaceutical company AND also collaborating with them on a website, DiabetesInANewLight.com. The site offers recipes and information about the disease. "I'm going to be there for you and help you manage every day of your life with this, because it can be done."
    Deen told Roker that she's always eaten in moderation. "People see me on TV two, three times a day cooking all these wonderfully Southern, fattening dishes, but that's only 30 days out of 365, and it's for entertainment. People have to be responsible." She also cited other risk factors for the disease, including genetics and age.
    And look there's that "PEOPLE HAVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE" in her conversation. She also admits to her smoking habit. She has never claimed to be better then anyone or to be held liable in your daily lifestyle choices. Nobody is except you. So if you don't like her show or her meals then simply turn the channel, there's plenty of other shows on. The food network has several different shows to appeal to everyone not matter what type of meal you are looking to prepare. One day I'm hoping to get to Georgia and experience Paula's restaurant and hopefully make it to a show. I don't blame her for my weight gain when I can simply look to another show that promotes healthy cooking....just sayin y'all! :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    From what I read, she has given up a lot of sugar since her diagnosis, like sweet tea. And she admitted that she will use less butter, but that she won't switch to margarine, and that's reasonable.