How to keep apples from turning brown

Options
I'd love to cut up my apples and bring them to work with me however, I hate eating them when they are brown. This is also the reason why my daughter will not take apples to school. I know you can squeeze lemon on them but I don't like the taste of lemony apples LOL. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• ndiamond
    ndiamond Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cinimmon keeps apples from oxidizing but also makes them brown..lol :laugh:

You can also buy the little individual packs that have a little ascorbic acid (vitamin c) splashed on them...it does the same thing as lemons. My son likes those.

I personally like to eat my apples off the core cuz the browning ruins it for me too!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I'd love to cut up my apples and bring them to work with me however, I hate eating them when they are brown. This is also the reason why my daughter will not take apples to school. I know you can squeeze lemon on them but I don't like the taste of lemony apples LOL. Any other suggestions?

Bring a knife to work with you-- cut 'em up there.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    try putting a dry paper towel in the bag, and get as much air out as you can....

I do that for avacado and lettuce, and it works perfect! Avacado lasts 1 to 1 1/2 weeks like that!
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    I prefer my apples in one piece. However, I do like to make a fruit salad using apples and bananas. I've learned that tossing them with a little Splenda keeps them from turning brown, even two days later!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Lemon or lime juice will keep your apples from turning brown. I use this little trick when I am entertaining. No one wants to eat those brown apples.:laugh: I wonder if you're using too much. My apples never taste lemony.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I bring a plastic knife with me to work to cut it up.

Someone else suggested to put it in a baggy and get the air out, vacu seal it if you can.

One idea I just thought of. If you cut it up in quarters, and put them back together with saran wrap around it, will they still turn brown? Ok, maybe not cut all the way through? will be easier to wrap.

If the flesh is still touching, then air can't get at it to turn brown?
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Lemon Juice
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    One idea I just thought of. If you cut it up in quarters, and put them back together with saran wrap around it, will they still turn brown? Ok, maybe not cut all the way through? will be easier to wrap.

heehee, that made me chuckle.....
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I put the lemon in some water and then soak the apple pieces in the water - makes it not so lemony. I think you can also get something called Fruit Fresh at the store - but I've never tried it.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options

I've heard that you can dissolve a vitamin C tablet in water and use that instead of lemon juice. Although, I've never tried it, and I'm not sure if you can find unflavored vitamin C tablets... most of them are orange flavored. I don't know if that would be better or worse than lemon flavored?
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I have the apple thing-a-ma-jig where you put it on top of the apple and push down and it slices it in pretty slices :bigsmile:
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Bring a knife to work with you-- cut 'em up there.

Ta dah!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    when I taught preschool, the kids would turn up their nose if the apples had gone brown. then we started sprinkling cinnamon on them. they can't see the brown, they taste GOOD and BOOM our apple problem disappeared!
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    dip in salt water.