iPhone v.s Samsung Galaxy

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Apple iPhone 4S VS. Samsung Galaxy S (TM) II

Any Opinions??

I smashed my iPhone today. I've been an iPhone user for probably 6 years, but am open to Android. I've boiled to down to these two based on what's available to me. They are bot $199 (if I go 16GB - I currently have 32GB).

Any thoughts?

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Kqnzs.png

...and I own an Android phone.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Kqnzs.png

...and I own an Android phone.

yeah... i won't be making my own apps, though...
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    My opinion in a nutshell.

If you want something that works. You don't want to tweak it. Every app works the way it should for the most part. BUT if it is not available, you are pretty much SOL (see swiftkey or swype), go with iPhone.

If you want freedom to do anything you want, go with the Android. Both have their benefits and drawbacks.

Here is an article about the Android and iPhone from the WOZ.

http://informationweek.com/news/mobility/smart_phones/232400445
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Thanks :) You're much more tech-savvy than I, my friend! *LOL*
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I've had an iPhone and now have the Galaxy S2, close call but I prefer the S2!
  • MizzCNyle
    Options
    I just dropped an android for my iPhone and LOVE IT! I love the MFP app on the iPhone because of the bar code scanner!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Iphone if you have the money
    Galaxy if you want to have all that functionality for less.
  • SCR56
    SCR56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been an apple person for many years, but unfortunately my phone carrier did not have the iphone until recently. I have the Samsung galaxy s II and I LOVE it!!!!! I am so happy that I have this phone and not an iphone. But of course everyone is different. I don't really do anything outrageous with it. But I think it is way more customizable than the iphones I have played with. I am very happy with my android.
  • SCR56
    SCR56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Android app has this too.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    SAY NO TO SAMSUNG. I had a galaxy phone for a year and hated it. I love android, I have an android phone, but I was ready to get rid of my samsung. HTC makes the best phones in my opinion. My galaxy phone was about 4 months behind on updates (maybe more) and after a little while it was really glitchy... I know a lot of people who have issues with samsung phones
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    The benefit of Android is its open source. You can do what you want with it IF YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE AND COMFORT LEVEL. Most people don't. I've rooted android phones, jailbroken iPhones, modded various other phones and OS's and I still would much rather have a stock iPhone. The fact is it just works without having to screw with things. There is nothing about my android phone that I miss. They aren't bad phones...but if you're not planning on customizing the hell out of them they really aren't worth the hassle.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Simply put; stick with what works for you.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Any Opinions??

I smashed my iPhone today. I've been an iPhone user for probably 6 years, but am open to Android. I've boiled to down to these two based on what's available to me. They are bot $199 (if I go 16GB - I currently have 32GB).

Any thoughts?

hmm.. you must have been using the iPhone before it actually became available to the public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone

as far as which one to use - i have the 4S and no complaints. there is talk that samsung is going to be purchasing at least part of RIM's company (most likely the BBM service), which would probably put their phone ahead. otherwise its just a matter of preference
  • odusgolp
    Options
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my iPhone 4S. I had a 4 and the upgrade was seamless, all of my data and applications went over. While I appreciate open source software, but I'm kinda glad Apple controls all of the apps. I'm still not on speaking terms with Siri, but we're working on it...
  • packalpha
    Options
    any news on the 5? it seems too much of a pain to cross the aisle from iPhone to Android for me
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    I have a coworker that went from a HTC to the new iPhone. My girlfriend has an iPhone. I am a HUGE android fan, but that is because I tweak the hell out of it.

You say it is over your head, but I went from a dumb phone to an android. I had it rooted in 3 days and loaded a new OS in a week. Yeah, I devoted way too much time to learning it, but that's because I am a geek when it comes to this stuff.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Any Opinions??

Any thoughts?

hmm.. you must have been using the iPhone before it actually became available to the public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone

as far as which one to use - i have the 4S and no complaints. there is talk that samsung is going to be purchasing at least part of RIM's company (most likely the BBM service), which would probably put their phone ahead. otherwise its just a matter of preference

Or, the word "probably" meant, "I am taking a random guess b/c I don't know exactly how long I've had iphones" :)

But this would be my 4th iPhone... every single one i've broken. oopsies.

Sounds like it's really a toss up unless you're very techie genius...
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    My opinion in a nutshell.

If you want something that works. You don't want to tweak it. Every app works the way it should for the most part. BUT if it is not available, you are pretty much SOL (see swiftkey or swype), go with iPhone.

If you want freedom to do anything you want, go with the Android. Both have their benefits and drawbacks.

This. I love to tinker, and don't mind breaking things in the process. Personally, I prefer to stay out of the Apple walled garden, but if you just want it to work, without having to tweak anything, then go with the iphone.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just went through this myself as my iphone was stolen (3G). I got £300 for it. I could have bought another iphone, but it didnt seem value for money to me compared with what you can get with an android.

So I've bought a Sony Erickson Xperia Ray for £200. For that you get a really powerful phone with a great screen that fits in the pocket. I think its more powerful than the iphone 3G and way more value for money.

Had an android before and I think they are in some ways more fun than iphones.