Will there ever be a point in my life where weight loss...

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
isn't on my mind? I know I am not where I want to be, but frankly, I started this journey back in 2005 with 120ish pounds to lose. (I had 2 pregnancies in there also.) I don't want to say I am sick of it, but frankly, it's been on my mind for so long. I think part of it is the 2.5 year plateau I've been on. It's just so overwhelming to do my best and not see anymore results. I guess I'm frustrated...

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate! Now that I've been doing this for 2 years, and spent the last year within a few pounds of the same weight, I wonder if it's always going to have to be like this. My body is holding on to the last 10-15 pounds for dear life! It seems that 150 is my brick wall as well. I'm hoping that letting my body adjust for the last year will let me kick things up a notch this year and be able to lose another 10 pounds or so. I can live with the 140s. But I can totally feel your frustration that we try and try but the scale doesn't go anywhere. I don't know if its our bodies aren't meant to hit the 140 goal or what. Even when I was on top of my game, running regularly and eating right, I couldn't get below 147.

Either way, I do hope that some day we can be completely content with where we are. I'm just not willing to settle just yet. I'm giving it a good fight to try and get to that goal.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on what you have already accomplished!

I started my second plateau in September, which is still ongoing by the way, and am a couple pounds from my goal number. I am relatively happy with my size but I need to tone up more and keep building muscle. My goals are now fitness related, not weight related. It isn't healthy (in my opinion) to live and die by the scale, day after day, month after month. At some point when you reach a healthy weight, you need to set new goals that do not involve obsessing over numbers.

Potential goals:

Make stomach firmer
    Make thighs firmer/stronger
    Develop badass arm muscles, Michelle Obama style
    Walk X miles per week
  • kirstand
    Options
    Only having your pictures to go by...I think you have come a long way already and already look fantastic!! Maybe have a quick look at your before and after pic's and you will feel better? Keeping in shape for most of us will always be on our minds (unfortunately)..especially once we get older, have kids, etc...
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I completely hear you! When I was at my lowest (147), I had cut out everything--sweets, soda, white carbs...you name it! I didn't feel deprived (except for the occasional Diet Coke craving) but now that I'm 10 lbs heavier...and can't lose...it's been so frustrating. I just started seeing results, but I think it's a mix of the fact that I'm doing more weight training vs. cardio and I've changed my diet substantially-I try to fill half of my plate w/ veggies and am monitoring my sodium intake. I try to watch how many packaged foods I buy. I too get tired of thinking about healthy options at restaurants, or worrying about how I'm going to fit working out on a business trip, but I've been at this so long (4 years)--that it's just part of who I am.
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You look great - fit and happy! So don't be discouraged!

But the truth is there may never be a time when you won't think about what you are eating in terms of calories and nutrients. You've spent a lot of time learnig these things and training yourself to be mindfull of them. I'm 5 lbs under my goal weight and I still can't put something in my mouth without thinking of the calories and nutrients or how much time I'll need to spend on the treadmill or with my kettlebeels to offset it.

Take pride in what you have achieved - an awesome weightloss and long term maintenance. That is no easy feat!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I can relate as well...I've pleateaued for the past year and have tried it all to no avail. It's hard to keep on going when it's not paying off. It's overwhelming and frankly, I get sick of thinking about food, talking about food, worrying about what I'm eating and if I'm logging it correctly. :yawn:
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, but.. no, probably not. Losing weight and/or maintaining weight loss will always be at least in the back of your mind. Losing weight is a daily struggle, as you know.. but so is maintenance. You just have to be dilligent and stay on top of it. It's not easy for most people to stay thin. But it's so worth it, and you can do it!
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    i dont' think so ... even most thin people worry abou their weight, constantly.

It is like asking if you will ever have to start worrying about money or bills, or finances in general. won't happen.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. Most people that have weight issues gain everything back when they stop being conscious of how much they're eating or how much their weight is fluctuating.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    First, you have done an awesome job /just look at that before picture compared to your current + 2 babies in there,,,,,WOW!! Maybe your body is where it is supposed to be, healthy, strong, fit and nutritionally happy. Maybe that should be the final goal, not the number on a scale. You have also been able to successfully "maintain" and although that is not what you have wanted to do, it is a huge achievement as well as so many people struggle with that part just as much as the losing part. Just look at yourself in the mirror each day and say to yourself, DAMN, I AM AWESOME!!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    I can completely relate! Now that I've been doing this for 2 years, and spent the last year within a few pounds of the same weight, I wonder if it's always going to have to be like this. My body is holding on to the last 10-15 pounds for dear life! It seems that 150 is my brick wall as well. I'm hoping that letting my body adjust for the last year will let me kick things up a notch this year and be able to lose another 10 pounds or so. I can live with the 140s. But I can totally feel your frustration that we try and try but the scale doesn't go anywhere. I don't know if its our bodies aren't meant to hit the 140 goal or what. Even when I was on top of my game, running regularly and eating right, I couldn't get below 147.

Either way, I do hope that some day we can be completely content with where we are. I'm just not willing to settle just yet. I'm giving it a good fight to try and get to that goal.

We are like body twins! I am up a bit now, but I was holding pretty steady at about 153. I did get down to 146 this past spring, but that was my lowest.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I know being healthy will always be on my mind, as it should be. I think when I get back down to where all of my clothes fit again (since I'm up almost 10 pounds...yikes!), I will kind of go into maintenance/build muscle mode.

You all made me feel better!
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'd be thrilled to have your issue... you don't look overweight at all!!! I'm working on getting rid of the 150 extra pounds I've been carrying around since birth (not really but I've never NOT been fat)...

maybe this is where you body wants to be... as long as the Doc says your healthy.. BE HAPPY!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    :smile: Thanks!
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Frankly, if you're at a plateau and 'tired' of thinking about weight loss all the time. Why don't you just take a break? By break, I mean, eat for maintenance. If you're already at a plateau...then just work with it rather than against it.

I've lost a substantial amount of weight over the years, and I found that sometimes eating/living at maintenance was just the mental break I needed. Then when I went back at the weight loss, the plateau was over, and I had positive feedback to 'stoke' my motivation.