Any Runners Out There?

Options
13»

Replies

• WallyGirl358
    Options
    I am also a slow runner and just started training for my first half marathon. I run long runs (9 miles) at 14 minutes and my quickest is 12 minute miles for 4 miles. I began running thinking I just don't want to be last, however decided that if I didn't run at all I would not even be on the list of people that accomplished the 13.1 miles. My favorite quote: if you run - you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass. No license to earn, No membership card to get. YOU JUST RUN - John Bingham
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    Congrats to running a marathon! You're an inspiration to us all especially at that original weight.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are too a runner.. :flowerforyou: I say this, because, I could've written this! And I AM a runner. I'm not the fastest, or the best, but I love it and it keeps me sane.

Thank you, I think I'm too fat to be a runner. So I'm just a girl that runs, I don't think I've earned the title "runner"just because I'm not that good at it. So far, my best is 9mi in 1:41
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a "Runners Body"?

If you like to run, run, and be damned what body type you are.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner but I have been close. This is actually my second go with MFP (a whole new profile). I lost 55lbs in my junior year of college mostly from running. I got the 6 mile mark and 2 weeks before a 10K I got severe stress fractures. I have since learned they came from the wrong shoes and a poor training plan. I never went fully back to running, but have done several 5Ks and could do one with no preparation because i was in shape from lifting, spinning, and occasional boot camps.

I am now a 3rd year law student and I have gained nearly all of my weight back. I weigh 177 right now. I gained in the last year because new excuses entered my life, and I fell out of my routine. I have started to get back on track, and decided I want to become the runner I almost was nearly 4 years ago.

I am do not have a runners body- 5'5" 177 now with a goal of 130. More so I am focusing on my goal of running a half marathon in October. I am pear shaped, and have many friends who run races with me that are all lean, slim, and tall. It does seem like it is easier for them and it gets frustrating sometimes. BUT I know I can get there and i do not need to let it discourage me. I am going to lose the weight again, and this time I won't stop using MFp because I "hit my goal" because maintenance will be the goal :)

Good to know there are others out there
  • damionruns
    damionruns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So does NO ONE think they have a typical runners body because they don't look like an elite athlete ? :laugh:

When I started running I was 190lbs. NOT a runners body. Because runners aren't overweight/obese... Am I right? :huh: Waiiiiiit a minute.

A runners body = Any BODY that runs!

I must say that while my body is far from perfect, I'd have to admit that it is a "runners" body by definition. It runs. A lot, sometimes. And I have long, lanky but strong legs. A narrow waist. Whatever else qualifies my shape as that of a runner - I'm sure I've got it. But most of all my body freakin' RUNS.

Thus - a runner's body! Seems pretty straight forward :wink:

NICE!!
  • queenblomberg
    Options
    Here I am, i know what your talking about...:-). I love running, personally I think im really fast but most of my friends outrun me anyday. Short and robust, my goal weight is 140 and I am around 150.

But I really don't care. Its my hobby and i do it my way. Its easy, lots of fresh air, and it keeps me in shape combined with crossfit..:-)

Half marathons are my favorite goal is 2 a year, and one 10k
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So does NO ONE think they have a typical runners body because they don't look like an elite athlete ? :laugh:

When I started running I was 190lbs. NOT a runners body. Because runners aren't overweight/obese... Am I right? :huh: Waiiiiiit a minute.

A runners body = Any BODY that runs!

I must say that while my body is far from perfect, I'd have to admit that it is a "runners" body by definition. It runs. A lot, sometimes. And I have long, lanky but strong legs. A narrow waist. Whatever else qualifies my shape as that of a runner - I'm sure I've got it. But most of all my body freakin' RUNS.

Thus - a runner's body! Seems pretty straight forward :wink:

Nicely put Meag!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yup. I hear you. I always joke that I wasn't build for running. I have short, thick legs. I run a similar pace and distance. I have never been fast but I can cover a lot of distance. I train hard but just don't make the great gains in speed.
    I helped coach a learn to run course last year and one of the speakers, a doctor friend of mine, was talking about how people always tell you people weren't meant to run and you'll ruin your knees. He said - we are all built to run. I kinda liked that and it stuck with me.

Oh and my favorite poster
    StillaMile.jpg